tailrot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benbji

6 month old beardie, no health problems although a little skinny. noticed the tail started darkening a little over a month ago. possible causes, maybe tailrot?

benbji

Original Poster
109188-8141944892.jpg
the discoloration also goes farther on the underside of the tail than it does on the top, with what looks like brown specks appearing as the dark part subsides. i gave her a bath just to make sure it wasn’t dirt, but it remained. it also may be hard to tell from the pic, but the tail is whole. no chunks falling out, no difference of texture or shape

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I don't see any injuries but it looks like normal.tail shed to me but we can have ahbd take a look to see if she sees anything abnormal
Karrie

benbji

Original Poster
yeah i hesitated to jump to action about it because although the tail has darkened, there’s no decay of scales or disfigurement at all. she has suffered no tail trauma, no trauma at all for that matter. she has had a very normal health history since i got her at about 6 weeks old. the only cause for concern is that during december i was injured in an accident and spent most of the month in and out of the hospital. i had friends and family take care of her with very specific instructions, but when i got her back i noticed that her tank was a 10-20 degrees colder than normal, and i her protein consumption had gone down a bit, causing her to get a bit skinny. i’ve been working hard to fatten her back up, and i noticed the dark tail when i took her back

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Well.i want ahbd to make sure - it's good you are back to take care of her- sorry to hear about the accident glad your on the mend
Karrie

benbji

Original Poster
thank you. i’ve also noticed that recently(within the past few days) her appetite has scaled down a bit, ignoring her veggies and insects only to go after them seemingly at random. i’m not too worried, as this can be in line with pre shedding behavior. i’m not quite sure if she is ready to shed though, as i’ve been working to get her back to her previous weight, she shouldn’t be growing more at the moment

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It could be the weather they tend to be off their food during winter time
Karrie

benbji

Original Poster
this is true, but i keep her temperature fairly consistent, and she’s active enough for a warm dragon. upon further inspection i noticed what appeared to be a patch of hardened, slightly raised scales right where her tail meets her body. they are gray and only a few in number, maybe four or so individual scales. i’ve never noticed this before the entire time i’ve had her. they’re hard to the touch like fingernails, and are slightly raised. she doesn’t seem bothered by it, and it’s completely away from the dark section of her tail

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just looks like a regular dark tail end to me. Best to take pics out of the tank though on a solid color background.

benbji

Original Poster
good news, Ed(my dragon) is definitely just shedding, shes started all her other rituals (eye bulging, stretching her beard, etc) i was a bit worried because of the time i was away from her, but all seems to be well now. this is probably her first “teenage shedding” as i don’t think she’s gone through the process since she was a month or two younger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom