Weird eye closing behavior

Have any questions about one of the many subtle behaviors a beardie has? Ask and discuss it here!

Weird eye closing behavior

Postby LuckyLou » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:13 am

Hello. My bearded dragon is about five months old and just recently he has started closing his left eye a lot. It is almost always closed when I look at him. But when it is open, I don't see anything wrong with it. He still eats a lot of crickets but not a lot of vegetables. However, he does not run up to get his food like he used to. He is less active and his stool has a lot of liquid in it. I have looked online but none of the reasons seem to add up. He is kept on tile, so I dont think he has a peice of substrate stuck in his eye. He has a red heat lamp, and a UVB lamp that we got at petsmart. We've also put in a heat rock, and I know that people have had them overheating, but this one seems perfectly fine and is a very nice temperature.

Also, his legs and tail have turned white but didnt shed yet. They have now almost turned back to normal color, I dont know if this is normal or not.

Please let me know what you think this might be, thank you
LuckyLou
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Weird eye closing behavior

Postby KarrieRee » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:24 am

The eye thing could be normal -- does he do it when hes basking? What kind of UVB are you using ? A coil or tube and where in the tank is it ? Sheds have different colors they can be dark white opaque or gray -- you can post pics of the tank and lighting if you like and of him and the tail
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on the XIMG at the top of the message box please and then click on the pic it should post
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby LuckyLou » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:00 am

Thank you for your response. He does it when basking and all the time. I fed him today and he seems to have a tiny bit of trouble seeing fron that eye, but not too bad. The UVB light is a coil and I am pretty sure is a 26 Watt. It is on top of the tank in the corner and he has a basking spot right under it.
LuckyLou
Newbie Poster

Postby LuckyLou » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:09 am

[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
Here are some pictures. Also, his stool looks really weird today.[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
LuckyLou
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:40 am

I am not hot on coils- the 26 watt is a Reptisun brand? If it is it needs to be unobstructed in a reflective dome approx 6-8 inches directly above basking decor-- it could be what is causing the eye issue but to be honest I would get rid of it all together- I would replace it w/ a 24" hood a Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5-- look on this website www.pangeareptiles.com they are the best on the market at this time-- if you need more help please ask
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Behavior