New to beardies - feeding question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!

I'm adopting a beardie soon and I've done some research on how to feed him - he's 2-3 years old, so full grown, but I had a few questions:

1. Do they have to eat every day? Would feeding them 6 days a week and leaving one day unfed be alright? I've seen some people that suggest this to avoid obesity.

2. There's lots of conflicting info about feeding schedule - would 6 days a week of varied greens + 1 day of bugs in those 6 days (I'm thinking dubias and hornworms?) be okay? (Assuming feeding 6 days a week is okay, if not then it would be greens every day and once a week bugs)

3. Am I correct in thinking he only needs to be fed once a day? From what I've read, it's the juveniles that need to be fed multiple times a day.

Thank you for all your help! I hope I can give my beardie the best life possible :D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Dragons need to be fed every day regardless of age --- babies need protein as the main diet fed 2-3 times per day -- it depends on all what your feeding --- when I had Blaze as a baby he was fed salads every morning w/ BSFL on top to lure him the the bowl - I fed roughly 20 of them on top also on top was a mixture of 1-2 small super worms or butter worms and a occasional horn worm - then the staple feeder was fed like a hr or so later and that was dubias - he ate probably 15 of them - I offered a second feeding in the afternoon of dubias for a while he ate the second feeding but not long after he quit eating the second feeding cuz he was full from the morning feed--- the dubias were dusted in the morning w/ the calcium D3 M-F and vitamins w/ carotene 2 x per week once in the morning -- so that is a an example --- but your dragon needs a good staple feeder of roaches crickets BSFL or and silk worms --- fresh salads every day along w/ their staple feeder - insects being the main diet up until about a year old - you want him eating those salads even if its only a few bites -- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
A variety of bugs and salads is good - they like variety-- if you need websites for insects and worms let me know I will post some for you
Karrie

colieflower

Original Poster
KarrieRee":35t0wn45 said:
Dragons need to be fed every day regardless of age --- babies need protein as the main diet fed 2-3 times per day -- it depends on all what your feeding -- insects being the main diet up until about a year old - you want him eating those salads even if its only a few bites
A variety of bugs and salads is good - they like variety-- if you need websites for insects and worms let me know I will post some for you
Karrie

Thanks for your response! I'll feed him every day then. Sorry if I missed it in your original message, but for a 2-3 year old adult beardie, how often should I feed him insects? Does the 80/20 greens/bugs ratio still hold?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Nope he would need insects 2-3 times per week alternating calcium D3 and calcium w/ out D3 NO phosphorus--- the vitamins can depend on the amount of salads hes eating -- if hes a good salad eater then you wouldnt need the vitamins so much -- hes gonna get those nutrients from the greens and other veggies you feed -- like squash green beans raw shredded sweet potato etc --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom