Please help! Beardie not using front arms, lethargic --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tignaw

I dont know what happened. Just a week ago she was scurrying around her tank with so much energy.
Over 1 night I noticed she was really lethargic and refused to use her front arms. She CAN move them but is just staying on her stomach and constantly looks sleepy. I fed her some super worms and wax worms yesturday and today I came home to find that shes thrown it all up. She now refuses to eat.
I'm extremely worried that she might die because of how tired she looks. She doesnt seem to want to be touched either. Please help, I'm afraid theres not many vets near me that look at reptiles and I just dont know what to do.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please go over the UVB brand and bulb where in the tank is it ? Is it a tube or a coil? Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them ? No stick ons they are inaccurate--
Karrie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon
Provide the tank setup, heating, etc. so the more experienced posters can see if something is going on.

Right now, I suggest finding an emergency vet for the little one.

Selkie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Lighting is very important as pointed out. Right now the vomiting has made her weak + dehydrated. Drip some water on her snout so she can drink , this is very important, just do this slowly and she should start lapping it up. Avoid those types of feeders and stick with small crickets, dubias and bsfl like calci or reptiworms.

Tignaw

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3ftay7pp said:
Please go over the UVB brand and bulb where in the tank is it ? Is it a tube or a coil? Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them ? No stick ons they are inaccurate--
Karrie

I'm very sorry if late response. It's been a very hectic day.
Heat is from a 100W ZooMed Repti basking spot lamp. Temps in that are around 95-105. I use a ceramic heat lamp at night. UVB is coming from a 10.0 UVB Reptisun. It's a the long tube like lamp. Shes in a 40 gal. The one with the doors that open at the front.
For temperatures I use a Zoomed digital thermometer.
I've used these for a very long time and shes normally been a very active and alert girl with a great appetite.

It's currently suspected to be that shes eaten something she wasnt supposed to. Boyfriend reported that she tried eating a piece of her own dried poop while I was away at work.
I just cleaned her tank, and bathed her. She drank a bunch of water, and I put her back to bask since she wont move much.
Her colors are bright, no black beard. She seems totally awake now and seems to have perked up and even started moving her front arms a LITTLE but she still wont eat. Shes looking a ton better within just a few hours honestly and I'm just confused. RELIEVED but still shaky about earlier.
If theres anything wrong with the bulbs I'm using please tell me your recommendations, I'm willing to do what I can to prevent this from happening.
I'm worried her ceramic bulb isnt keeping her warm enough night. My roommate refuses to turn the heater on so it gets quite chilly even in these mediocre SoCal winters.

Tignaw

Original Poster
AHBD":3aqfcptd said:
Lighting is very important as pointed out. Right now the vomiting has made her weak + dehydrated. Drip some water on her snout so she can drink , this is very important, just do this slowly and she should start lapping it up. Avoid those types of feeders and stick with small crickets, dubias and bsfl like calci or reptiworms.

Sorry I'm seeing this a little late. She drank a ton of water and started doing much better an hour after. She started moving her front arms a tiny bit but still wont show interest in eating. I'll have her usual greens available in the morning and plan on getting a horn worm or 2 to her tomorrow for added hydration. She goes CRAZY for them the few times I do provide them (dont worry they're not a staple) so I'm hoping that'll spunk her up to eat some dubias. Thanks so much btw I'll keep the super worms out of the way for now.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah they rarely eat the same day or day after vomiting but they usually will drink. BTW, how big is she ? Her problem wouldn't be from eating a small bit of poo, lots of dragons do , it was almost certainly from the superworms + waxworms, especially if she ate a lot and if it was later in the day.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What bulb is the UVB a T 8 or a T 5? And how old is it? You said you have used these for a very long time--- if that bulb is over a year old for the T 5 its expired and the T 8 over 6 months old it too is expired -where in the tank is the UVB
Karrie

Tignaw

Original Poster
AHBD":i3mlxdhi said:
Yeah they rarely eat the same day or day after vomiting but they usually will drink. BTW, how big is she ? Her problem wouldn't be from eating a small bit of poo, lots of dragons do , it was almost certainly from the superworms + waxworms, especially if she ate a lot and if it was later in the day.

I've had her for almost 3 years. Shes an adult now but I will admit I may have fed her a bit too much, shes never been much of an opportunistic eater and will stop after a bit but this time she hadn't so I very well could have over fed by my own ignorance.

Tignaw

Original Poster
KarrieRee":18wbrrkf said:
What bulb is the UVB a T 8 or a T 5? And how old is it? You said you have used these for a very long time--- if that bulb is over a year old for the T 5 its expired and the T 8 over 6 months old it too is expired -where in the tank is the UVB
Karrie

I'm actually not sure to be honest! I'll have to check when I get home. I just switched out her lamp last night after a run to the store because of the scare.
Tl clear something up, I change her bulbs regularly, I've just USED the same brand of bulbs for a long time. I've had her for 3 years almost with no problems. I keep her uvb as close to her basking spot as I can.
I've seen people use a heat and UVB bulb in a paired dome and wondered if that may be the best idea.
But I will have to check if its a T 5 or 8 when I get home.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Definitely post some pictures of her along with the tank setup too. The Reptisun 10
is a good bulb. The lighting placement/distance would vary if it is a T8 or a T5.
How is your girl doing, is she using her front arms more?
How much did you feed her?
I am glad she seems to be feeling better though. As suggested, try to get more oral fluids
into her to get her hydrated again. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom