Status
Not open for further replies.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon
Hi Everyone!

A few posts ago, I discussed how Drogon wasn't keen on eating post brumation. Many people suggested giving him time, and another great suggestion was using Ben-Bac probiotic gel. However, he was still having problems eating.

My mother's intuition said something isn't right, and I'm glad I took him to the vet today. Read on for more.

Initial visit:

With Drogon's first visit, CBC/chem and other bloodwork came back normal.
He was also active and checking out the other patients, especially the bunnies :)!

But after they did a fecal exam, that's where we understood the problem: flagellates and ascarids. Yuck! No wonder he wasn't eating.

Drogon was also dehydrated. The theory you see about double-strand saliva and wrinkled skin is indeed a sign of dehydration. If your bearded dragon doesn't drink from a dish, doesn't enjoy mistings, and doesnt like the water dropped onto his snout, then I recommend bathing daily as per my vet's instructions.

I've also learned that YES, take your dragon to the vet pre brumation to see if any parasites will cause a problem for your sleeping beauties.

So, if you're a beardie owner and suspect something isn't right, it's worth a vet visit. Listen to your gut. Exotic vets are expensive but I'm glad my little guy is getting the treatment he needs to feel better :)

Feel free to discuss this topic! I love talking dragons with you guys!

Selkie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Selkie, glad everything is working out O.K for Drogon. :) You were fortunate to have found a vet that was helpful. For many people a vet trip before brumation turns out with more questions than answers such as " captive dragons don't need to brumate " or " we should deworm just in case" , delay brumation etc. So for some owners it turns out good, for others not so much.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Drogon
Yeah I definitely made sure to check out many reviews before choosing this vet (although it's the only exotic vet in Charleston, so thank God they were good!)

In a post visit email, they actually had more info on brumation from this website! :) The visit was a bit longer than expected, but I'm glad they understand it's a natural behavior. The vet also assured me that parasites just happen. After all, beardies eat some nasty stuff xP

Selkie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom