aggressive dragon behavior? and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonstonefire

hi all! recently I've been having problems with my dragon's behavior. I'll include all of her information below

name: Cynder
tank: 40 gallons
heating & UVB: zoo med 75w repti basking lamp & reptisun 10.0 uvb (typically on for 12 hrs now)
diet: mainly fruits and veggies and superworms here and there. horn worms are given as a treat sometimes.
housing: basking area is a perfect distance from the heating lamp, it's a reptile hammock and boy does she love it! she has a log hide and some rocks and fake plants. on the cool side of the tank is a large water dish. the warm side is usually around mid to high 90's.

to begin, she's been a bit aggressive. I'm not sure if it's just hormonal or not? she's never laid eggs. I do have a tub of coconut fiber prepared just incase she possibly gets them. sometime's when I go to handle her or just put my hand in the cage she'll open her mouth and hiss. she never bites, just tries to seem intimidating I suppose? she's come to not like being handled either, which makes me a bit sad :( She's started glass surfing pretty often. I assume she wants out, but when I take her out she runs back to her cage and glass surfs on the outside as if she wants back in. she hasn't been eating as much lately but I think that's just brumation, as she doesn't seem sick or anything. she is pooping as normal though! I've come to notice a repeating pattern though. when she has to poop she'll glass surf like crazy until she's done it. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I got her as a baby, and she certainly didn't act like this for the first year or so that I owned her.

I know dragons can have different personalities and perhaps this could just be hers, but I don't wanna just assume it's that if I'm possibly doing something incorrect without knowing. again, she hasn't always acted like this, it's something she recently has been like. due to covid, I haven't been able to go out and get her insects as often as I used to. I try my best to give her the proper diet but I fear that I could be doing a bad job. I'd hate to have to re-home her because of this, but it does cross my mind from time to time :( maybe I'm just overthinking, but I'd love second opinions

I appreciate if you've read everything <3

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your UVB is a coil or a tube? Where in the tank is it? Top of screen or inside the tank?
Karrie

moonstonefire

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1nz2nboh said:
Your UVB is a coil or a tube? Where in the tank is it? Top of screen or inside the tank?
Karrie

it's a coil on top off the tank, but I've been meaning to change to a tube that'll be put inside. my only issue is that I can't seem to get my hands on a good quality one. they're either sold out or have bad reviews. if you know anywhere online that has good ones in stock I'd love to know! do you suppose that could be the sudden change of attitude?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes ditch the coil please ---- go here and order ASAP these people are fast and good and they sell out of these hoods very fast along w/ the bulbs
Get a 24" for a 40 + gallon tank - https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html this hood comes w/ a 5.0 bulb hang on to it you can use it as a back up
Get this bulb a 22" they are one of the best on the market
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html
Let me know when you get this I will help you place it in your tank
Karrie

moonstonefire

Original Poster
KarrieRee":j7u533o0 said:
Yes ditch the coil please ---- go here and order ASAP these people are fast and good and they sell out of these hoods very fast along w/ the bulbs
Get a 24" for a 40 + gallon tank - https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html this hood comes w/ a 5.0 bulb hang on to it you can use it as a back up
Get this bulb a 22" they are one of the best on the market
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html
Let me know when you get this I will help you place it in your tank
Karrie

just purchased! thank you so much for the help! :)

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon
Hey there!

I'm a pretty new owner, but it sounds like part of this is hormonal. Drogon doesn't poo in his tank and starts running all over to poo outside the tank on a paper towel V_V smh.

Are you trying to grab her from the top of the cage? Usually top-grabbing can remind them of predators such as birds trying to grab her. I have my dragon in an aquarium and try to scoop under his belly so he doesn't freak out.

The coil issue also might make her cranky!

Let us know if she keeps up her sassy behavior ;)
Selkie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom