mouth lump/scale on juvenile beardie....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattmma22

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1l9ndq54 said:
Please get rid of the heat mat and just use the che :)--- the loose sand will cause impaction if she eats it that is not good please take it out--- use paper towels for now-- sand also harbors bacteria- are you using a digital probe thermometer to get basking temps? Place the probe on the spot where she sits to bask wait 10 minutes then get temp- the two most important things in the tank are the basking temps and UVB- the control the over all.health and behavior
I am not sure what caused the mouth issue ahbd would have more insight on that
Karrie

k, gonna vacuum out the sand today when i clean the tank, i have a digital food thermometer with a silver probe 4 inserting in food, i’ll place that where she sits n give a reading, gonna go 2 petco n pick up the long uv light today, will update with pics....

mattmma22

Original Poster
Drache613":310pi2h5 said:
Hello,

That could be some type of injury though, so as suggested, do try using the raw, unpasteurized
honey on the affected area to help in case there is some infection going on there. Is that area
staying the same size, or has it gotten bigger recently?

Tracie
i started the honey last night n this morning, he licks his lips n seems 2 not mind lol, yes it’s gotten slightly bigger, but not much, like it’s a scab that’s growing, but he is a baby n is also growing so it’s gotten slightly bigger with his size n the last 2 weeks, but when i purchased him there was no mark or lump on his mouth....

mattmma22

Original Poster
so i got a zilla T8 uv cause that’s what they had that i could grab today, got another zoomed 75w basking light, so now there’s 2 of them in the double dome lamp, i unplugged the tank heater pad but didn’t vacuum up the sand cause it’s been in there since day 1, he’s never eaten any n poops well so i think we’re good on that.... smeared honey on his lips last night n 3 times today n he licks his lips like he’s enjoying the flavor lol!!!! he perked right up under the higher temps of the double basking lamps, n seems 2 enjoy the new uv light also, he keeps waving at me now n he’s never done that b4, HA!!!!

110218-795119005.jpg

110218-8797066817.jpg

110218-5466675404.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so make sure you are getting a basking temp w/ those double bulbs w/ a digital probe thermometer also the T 8 will need to go inside the tank -- the T 8 is not strong enough to go thru the screen its blocking 30% of those rays --also I recommend you get a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 bulb the Zilla bulb is not real good --- here are some ways to hang inside the tank
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- fishing line -- potted plant wire hangers --- and I use this its like a Velcro strap you need to cut in strips it works really good
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
https://www.showmecables.com/panduit-ttr-20r0-bulk-hook-and-loop-fastening-cable-tie-20-foot-roll-x-3-4-inch-black?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIouDimL2b7AIVyEXVCh2Kbg_vEAYYCSABEgImZ_D_BwE
If you need more help please ask
Karrie

mattmma22

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3kl5hzgc said:
Ok so make sure you are getting a basking temp w/ those double bulbs w/ a digital probe thermometer also the T 8 will need to go inside the tank -- the T 8 is not strong enough to go thru the screen its blocking 30% of those rays --also I recommend you get a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 bulb the Zilla bulb is not real good --- here are some ways to hang inside the tank
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- fishing line -- potted plant wire hangers --- and I use this its like a Velcro strap you need to cut in strips it works really good
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
https://www.showmecables.com/panduit-ttr-20r0-bulk-hook-and-loop-fastening-cable-tie-20-foot-roll-x-3-4-inch-black?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIouDimL2b7AIVyEXVCh2Kbg_vEAYYCSABEgImZ_D_BwE
If you need more help please ask
Karrie

so i ordered the RS T8 10.0 that’s 18” long so it’ll fit this fixture from the zilla, do i still have 2 but it inside the cage? or is it strong enough 2 keep on top of the screen? also what about his mouth? just keep an eye on it? should the new higher temps with uv cure him? thx karrie!!!!

mattmma22

Original Poster
he’s doing great, basking at 106F, started waving, gaping mouth, tank surfing, much more active now n seems happier, eating well, kale n crickets, n he seems to love the new repsun t8 10.0, the mouth lump has almost vanished, n i’ve put honey on his mouth twice a day since it was recommended here, thx again!!!!

110218-7292736196.jpg

110218-2111239527.jpg

110218-4839858552.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You only need one T 8 fixture w/ the cover off that fixture you want the bulb exposed -- and inside the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece- did you get the Reptisun bulb or are you using the Zilla bulb that came w/ the fixture?
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hey that's great ! Seems like he's doing very well now from your description, glad to hear it. :) So you have the Reptisun t8 in the Zilla fixture you say ? Just be sure that you took the plastic cover off.

mattmma22

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3g7log34 said:
You only need one T 8 fixture w/ the cover off that fixture you want the bulb exposed -- and inside the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece- did you get the Reptisun bulb or are you using the Zilla bulb that came w/ the fixture?
Karrie

using the reptisun bulb without the plastic cover on it pressed right onto the screen above where he spends most of his time, i’m hesitant to put it inside i’m afraid it’ll fall plus it’s only a 20g tank so it’s not super tall, he’s doin great tho!!!!

mattmma22

Original Poster
AHBD":1wkhzku4 said:
Hey that's great ! Seems like he's doing very well now from your description, glad to hear it. :) So you have the Reptisun t8 in the Zilla fixture you say ? Just be sure that you took the plastic cover off.

yeah i did! i gave it a tug n it snapped off then broke, lol! such a cheap fixture imo but i have the good reptisun bulb in it now so he’s happy!

mattmma22

Original Poster
so Imposter has been doing great, but was curious about his new activity.... he has had a good full body shed, n currently has a head she’s going on n he rubs his face on the monapi wood which seems normal 2 me.... but now he tends 2 run n hide from me sometimes, he’s never done that before, he doesn't do it all the time but he never did it at all b4, also when i say hi n go up 2 the tank, he looks at me n opens his mouth like 1-2 seconds then closes it.... that’s new 2, but his appetite is good, poop is great, sleeps well, just was wondering about those new behaviors....

110218-98616495.jpg

110218-6347736833.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom