New Beardie Owner In Need Of Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I just got my new beardie (buster) on the 12th, so it’s only been about 6 days, but I’ve been having concerns with them and I’m really looking for advice. They haven’t been eating too much since I got them, the first few days it was 1-3 mealworms, then on the 16th they ate about 10 crickets and some of their salad I had prepared for them, yesterday they had about 15 but today they haven’t touched anything.

At first they were really stressed out and glass surfing a lot however it seemed to calm down until this morning, they were going back and forth a lot. They had a really tiny dot of blood in their poo a few days back but since then they haven’t and they’re poo looks very healthy. They’ve spent most of their time up at their basking spot which sits at about 105 degrees, I have a thermostat that keeps it at 108-104 range. The cool sits at around 77-84.

They seem pretty energetic and like to chase their food around but when they get stressed they seem to shut down for the day, not quite moving from their basking too much and not eating as much. I have them in a 20 gallon tank, with a 40 gallon on stand by for when they’re a bit bigger, I’m using the zilla t8 uvb 24” that is about 2/3 of their container, a 150 watt intense basking heat bulb, both sit about 5-6 inches away from their basking, the t8 is outside the tank which I know is a point of tension between some owners, I’ve been thinking about moving it inside to see if it makes them more active, however it would be a tight squeeze.

I got them from petsmart, not the best choice, and they said they didn’t realize they were even in the tank for a few days so they had the lights off and I doubt much food in there. After they realized the beardie was there the employees said that they didn’t eat much. I don’t know the sex of my beardie or how old they are as the employees didn’t know

They will not eat anything if I use tongs and put it close to them, I also tried putting them in a little container with some bugs one of the first days I had them but it seemed to stress them out so I have been putting bugs in their tank and monitoring how much they eat and taking the rest out between feedings (which haven’t been much). I’ve been avoiding handling them as much as I can so as not to stress them out more

I keep the lights on about 11 hours a day because it’s the winter, I’ve been thinking about leaving them on longer since they’re a baby but I’m not sure if that would be good or not.

I would really appreciate any advice, and if anyone has any questions about anything I might’ve left out let me know! I tried to put in as much as I could think of so sorry if it was lengthy, I just want the best advice for my situation so I can get them in a good feeding cycle.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok for a 150 watt in a 20 gallon tank I am thinking you are burning him up-- I had a 20 gallon set up and was only using a 75 watt and right now I am using a 150 watt in my 120 gallon tank --- you need to take the probe thermometer and place it on the hammock for actual basking temps-- you do not want it hotter than 110-- the T 8 is good for the 20 gallon tank -- it needs to be unobstructed w / NO clear plastic cover over the bulb and NO screen approx 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor please -- please check those temps -- you need a cool side of the tank around 80's -- lights on for 12 hrs and off for 12 hrs --- NO colored lights and temps in the tank should be 65-75 for good sleeping -- he will go thru relocation stress so his eating will be off but he should be eating something but your temps need to be correct and UVB or he wont eat at all -- you may need to set the UVB width wise across the tank w/ the basking bulb next to it butted up to the fixture on the screen --- this is how I had my 20 gallon tank set up
97951-9562450009.jpg
Karrie

Connordac18

Original Poster
Thanks for your response! The only reason I was using that much of a wattage is because the temps weren’t going past 95, however I just got the thermostat yesterday that’s been helping with keeping the temps in range, I moved the probes directly next to their hammock like you suggested, and a 100w zoo med heat bulb that I switched in, however if the temps read too hot I also have a 75w, my outlet just doesn’t seem to be strong with heating everything up. I’ve been making sure I keep his enclosure at 70 during the night, I have a radiator in my room I keep close to the tank on the warm side so it regulates the temps well. I can get clamps to put the uvb light in tonight and see if that helps

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok you need to take the probe and place where he sits to bask -- next to it your getting ambient temps- if your using the hammock for basking decor it HAS TO BE THE PROBE-- IR guns do not give correct basking temps on a hammock
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes just keep an eye on those temps- get your uvb situated as well - you can use the T 8 in the 40.gallon it will need to go into the tank w/ same distance as the 20 gallon-- and the bulb will need to be changed out in 6 months I recommend 5 --
If you need anymore help please ask
Karrie

Connordac18

Original Poster
Thanks so much I really appreciate it, if the 100watt won’t get me to the right temps in that spot, do you think it would be okay if I try the 150 again, bring their hammock down so they’re a bit further from it and make sure the temps don’t go past 110? I just don’t want to be too low, the first few days it wasn’t going past 90 and I know it’s essential that it’s past that number at least to 95

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Temps for him should be 105-110-- basking bulbs are trial and error-- just make sure you keep an eye on the temp-+ it's really hard to get temps in small tanks-
Karrie

Connordac18

Original Poster
So I did everything you suggested, his basking temps are good and uvb is now unobstructed and sits about 6 inches above him, he only ate 3 crickets yesterday and some of his greens, and today only 1 cricket, do you think he’s adjusting or do you think I should take him to the vet? He’s not very lethargic, he’s pretty active and aware so I don’t think he’s sick, but I’ve been really worried about him

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hes adjusting to his surroundings which is normal -- its good hes eating and active - let him acclimate to his tank -- as long as you have your basking temps correct and the UVB has been situated he should be fine - those two things are the most important thing in that tank -
Karrie

Josedtd

hey im having an issue with one of my baby beardies probably around his weeks still (maybe 3 weeks). so ive noticed that she eats and all but he still seems pretty squishy and not that fat compared to my other baby beardie. i am not sure whats wrong with her but was hoping maybe someone can help me out, im still new to all this but i have a 29 or 30 gallon tank, i am using the combo dome from petco my basking bulb is a 100 watt and my uvb light is a 10.0 from petco as well? any help please. ive had her checked out at a reptile shop last time and theh didnt say she had anything wrong with her, so they told me to just give her silk worms and she maybe they have enough protein but im just scared that maybe something is wrong or that i dont have the right watts or uvb for the certan tank gallon!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If that UVB is a coil which I am thinking it is please get rid of it--- your gonna need to upgrade your tank so you might as well get a 24" fixture w/ reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb- that fixture will go into your new tank--- please get this ASAP- I would send you to my go to website but they are out of stock- you can look at your local pet stores but most don't carry the length - this fixture will come w/ a 5.0 bulb which can be used on the 29 gallon but the distance for the two bulbs has different placement and distances

Josedtd

how do i know if its a coil bulb? i mean the one i got its from zoo med its a reptisun 10.0 uvb (13 watt) desert mini compact fluorescent bulb its usually a best and recommended for many? and i also have a 18” (457 mm) 15 watt t8 reptisun 10.0 uvb (its those long flat lights). i have that but i unfortunately dont have the hood that gives it power just the lights :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom