Broken claw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aireon719

Hatchling Member
Hi I don't know if this is the right place for this post but my bearded dragon has seem to hurt her claw while digging and glass surfing cause she is in the middle of laying her first eggs which are infertile by the way and she's had 7 so far. Anyways she seems to have broken her claw and has dry blood and wanted to know what I can do cause my vet is closed for the day.
87331-1196833183.jpg

Aireon719

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I've been trying to call my vet to ask their recommendation but can't get a hold of one they've been busy and I'm trying to avoid a trip if possible cause they are a good ways and I'm a little low on cash. Please don't take that as I don't care cause I will take her if need be.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
One thing you don't want to do is interrupt her egg laying. You can soak it in betadine -water solution but other than that it should be fine. Once she's done laying you can also put Neosporin on it and a gauze wrap but it could come off if she continues to dig. All in all, lots of beardies bust a nail and are perfectly fine. :)

Aireon719

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My vet told me to put neosporin on it. But right now she's refusing to eat anything and has lost 2g since yesterday so I might have to take her to vet. But if she hasn't eaten by 4 I might blend up her food and syringe feed her.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Is she still laying ? They almost never eat while they're still laying eggs. And was that a typo when you wrote that she lost 2 grams ? That is a negligible amount and nothing to even be remotely concerned about.

Aireon719

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It's been about 2 days since her last egg and she's only had 7 eggs and I say 2 grams but she used to weight 400 some grams but I'm guessing a lot of that is from the eggs. But my vet still recommended I come in just in case. So she has an appointment tomorrow. But good news is she is loving her water. After she drinks it she gets in it and messes around in it making a big mess.

Aireon719

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sadly I had to reschedule her appointment to Monday cause my dad got put in the hospital which he is coming home soon but I had no ride but I'll update yall Monday. But she has laid some more eggs and is now up to her 11th egg. But she still won't eat. But hopefully she will when she gets done but I'm worried for her cause she looks miserable but then again it might be me over worrying.

SPandS

Juvie Member
What kind of lay box do you have set up for her? Only asking because when my girl lays she starts and finishes in the same day and taking so long on 1 clutch may be why she's miserable and looking into why it's taking her so long would be a good idea.

Aireon719

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well I never had time to make a lay box cause she caught me off guard and I didn't even know she was gravid. But good news is I think she laid her last ones cause night before last she laid 15 eggs in one go while she was in bed for the night and after removing them I checked her belly and didn't feel none but all together she had 30 eggs. And her weight has dropped to somewhere around 300 something grams I'm very proud of her. But good news she ate 2 roaches last night and a couple bites of greens and while that isn't much it means she's on the right track. I'm going to call the vet this morning and ask if they still wanna she her. By the way how do you make a laybox that way I'll be prepared next time.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
My cockatiel is nesting right now (she actually incubates her eggs because birds do that. They are infertile because she’s my only cockatiel.) and she has lost a tiny bit of weight too as calcium gets taken from their bodies to form the egg shells and she spends most of her time on her eggs. I’d just discard the eggs and let her eat when she’s ready. Birds and lizards are similar, they just have opposite metabolisms.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl's claw? You can also get some raw, unpasteurized or manuka honey,
or continue using the antibiotic ointment either one.
Is your girl still laying eggs?
Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Aireon719

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sorry I took so long and forgot to update but I took her to the vet and he said he didn't feel no more eggs and she is a beautiful dragon and has a nice looking jaw and looked very healthy and very calm but he clip the claw and he said she will never regrow that claw and then put some yellow type powder on her toe. But she is back to eating insects. Just being picky about her greens but her weight is back to 400g so she is practically back to normal. Thank you everyone for the help.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, I am glad to hear she is doing well & is almost back to normal. Hopefully she is done
laying eggs for now. Since she is back to eating her bugs she is probably done right now but
she could develop more in the near future. They do tend to get picky with their greens!
Maybe the claw will eventually grow back, but if the nail bed was torn it probably wont. She
will be fine missing a claw though.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom