Hives When Holding Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shayne473

I've owned a few bearded dragons in the past with no issue, however I got a new baby back in October and he is very healthy. The only issue is whenever I hold him, I myself get hives on the skin his nails touch within minutes. My beardies prior did not do this to my skin so I'm confused. It has been a few years since I owned a beardie but I doubt my body would get an allergy in that time. Before anyone asks I have the details right here:
The substrate is a repticarpet that I spot clean whenever he poops and I deep clean it once a week.
Due to a major cricket shortage in my area (no store selling within 50 miles) my beardies live insect has been reduced to Flucker's Freeze Dried Crickets.
I tried cutting the nails but the skin still gets hives.

I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what could be different than the others I've owned that would cause my skin to react like this. If any of you know of this or have experiences like this as well was it actually the beardie or was it stuff they came into contact with before handling? My only thought right now is the cricket dust but I highly doubt it would make my skin react that quickly from just second hand contact. Thank you very much.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Do you get circular welts/hives (wheals) or do you get raised bumps/lines like a scratch?

-Brandon

Shayne473

Original Poster
From what you described, wheals. Like tiny white hive bumps that itch like crazy after just a little contact with the nails. He doesn't scratch me but the area around where he's holding has the issues.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
I get the same thing with Mari and other reptiles. I don’t know why it happens, so I just try to use a blanket to hold her and I trim her nails when needed so I’m not scratched too much.

SPandS

Juvie Member
Some times I can get something that looks like a rash from their spikes but it goes away on it's own after a while. I just always thought it was from irritation of being slightly stabbed and not anything to worry about.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If it actually itches, it most likely is an allergic reaction. That's unfortunate, and quite rare from what I've seen.

Do taking anti histamines seem to help the wheals and itchiness go down?

I guess a test you could do is take some antihistamines maybe 20-30 minutes before handling, and then see how your body reacts.
Just to clarify, they more resemble the first picture, not the second picture?
urticaria-iStock-687832234-300x199.jpg

642x361__BODY_Dermatographia.jpg

-Brandon

Shayne473

Original Poster
It's the first one. But no I never really need to take any meds, it shows up outta nowhere but goes away fairly fast as well. I usually just dab the area with calamine lotion.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok, then definitely an allergic reaction.

I asked about the antihistamines because that would be the final coffin in the nail. If you take them after getting the welts, and the welts go away quicker, then it's an allergy. Conversely, if you take the antihistamines before handling, and your reaction is missing or less severe, you will also know for sure it's an allergy.

-Brandon

Tarbie

Allergies are a funny old thing and can come on at any point in life out of nowhere.

My mother had a very severe allergic reaction having been bitten by my sisters pet rabbit and ended up in hospital. Cats and dogs had always made her sneeze but she'd never had a reaction like this before. She now needs to carry an epi-pen.

luckily, as said above yours will be easily controlled with antihistamines, much like you would for other minor allergies like hay fever. As much as it must be an inconvenience to be allergic to a pet that requires daily handling, at least there is a fairly straightforward fix.

Rukia1988

Juvie Member
I use to have this happen when I first got my bearded dragon. It stopped after a while as she got bigger. I remember I itching so so so bad but then I started washing hands after holding her and then as she grew so did her nails and they didn't pick me anymore. I think it should get better I hope!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom