My Beardie seems very ill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eboyd203

Hi about 5 days ago I realized my beardie Pharaoh eyes were sealed shut. She is 5 years old. I put a warm compress and she still wouldnt open. From a forum I saw to get preservative free eye drops by sydane I began using it and it loosened up and I was able to with a moist q-tip get the mucus out. The next day it was sealed shut again and she began doing this weird panting thing and opening her mouth wide multiple times. I took her to the vet and an emergency er doc seem her, they cleaned both eyes gave prescribed an eye drop and gave an antibiotic. She said it looked like an eye infection and unclear of what else but gave a antibiotic just in case it was an upper respiratory infection. I gave the drops and after a few hrs it was sealed again . She also stopped eating , someone recommended giving her fluckers repa appetite boost so I have for the past 3 days but she still isnt eating. I’m really worried and don’t know what to do, please help

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Wait, what antibiotic did they give? If there’s no proof of an upper respiratory infection then it might not be necessary to have them on that antibiotic. I’d still use the Fluker’s appetite stimulant as it’s good to keep them eating properly, but I’d consider seeing another vet if they are giving out antibiotics without proof of an infection.

Eboyd203

Original Poster
loljelloclowdz":jszemvwk said:
Wait, what antibiotic did they give? If there’s no proof of an upper respiratory infection then it might not be necessary to have them on that antibiotic. I’d still use the ****ers appetite stimulant as it’s good to keep them eating properly, but I’d consider seeing another vet if they are giving out antibiotics without proof of an infection.
They prescribed Baytril Syrup she said because it will help with the eye infection and she may have something systemic going on and it will help with that

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor thing, can you post pics of her face, also of her in the tank showing the entire set up including the lights ? Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

BTW, raw unpasteurized honey mixed with about 4 parts lukewarm water can help an eye infection quickly. I used it on my own dragon's infected eye + cured it in a few days.

Eboyd203

Original Poster
AHBD":3qvps1i3 said:
Poor thing, can you post pics of her face, also of her in the tank showing the entire set up including the lights ? Here's how to post pics :

BTW, raw unpasteurized honey mixed with about 4 parts lukewarm water can help an eye infection quickly. I used it on my own dragon's infected eye + cured it in a few days.
85570-6231016749.jpg

Eboyd203

Original Poster
Eboyd203":janusfhk said:
AHBD":janusfhk said:

85570-6231016749.jpg
85570-85968865.jpg
85570-2911003591.jpg
85570-7048752205.jpg

Eboyd203

Original Poster
Eboyd203":xwh42nyq said:
Eboyd203":xwh42nyq said:
AHBD":xwh42nyq said:

85570-6231016749.jpg
85570-85968865.jpg
85570-2911003591.jpg
85570-7048752205.jpg

In the pictures are currently what his eyes looks like. They are open but overnight or when left for a few hrs are when the crust up again. Also how do you measure the amount of honey?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah, poor girl looks very ill. What type of uvb bulb do you have ? If that's a Zilla check to see if the plastic shield is covering the uvb, if it is take it off. Can you get her another basking log, that branch is a bit skimpy ,especially for a dragon that's not feeling well and not going to be comfortable on that. Get a thicker + flatter surface, avoid hammock though since she has long nails that will get snagged. As for the honey, just a big drop mixed with a few drops of water that equals about 4 X as much. Use a syringe or just a Q-tip do dab it in her eyes. Be sure there are no insects in the enclosure. Offer her some water mixed with the Repta boost and drip it very slowly on her snout to [ hopefully ] get her to drink. She looks pretty dehydrated.

Eboyd203

Original Poster
AHBD":iseg964z said:
Yeah, poor girl looks very ill. What type of uvb bulb do you have ? If that's a Zilla check to see if the plastic shield is covering the uvb, if it is take it off. Can you get her another basking log, that branch is a bit skimpy ,especially for a dragon that's not feeling well and not going to be comfortable on that. Get a thicker + flatter surface, avoid hammock though since she has long nails that will get snagged. As for the honey, just a big drop mixed with a few drops of water that equals about 4 X as much. Use a syringe or just a Q-tip do dab it in her eyes. Be sure there are no insects in the enclosure. Offer her some water mixed with the Repta boost and drip it very slowly on her snout to [ hopefully ] get her to drink. She looks pretty dehydrated.

I just purchased today the Zoo Med Reptisun T5 HO Hood, 24 Inch and a Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 T5-HO UVB Fluorescent Bulb, 22 Inch. Because I was told the zilla t8 wasn’t sufficient

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Which eye drops are you using right now, or are you just giving the baytril for an infection?
The Reptisun 10 T5 tube is a great bulb, so that's great you did get that ordered now. The
Zilla isn't very good & it wont give near enough UVB for your dragon.
As suggested, try using the honey with the warm water. It is highly effective since it's a
antimicrobial agent.
What foods are you trying to give to her? You can try using the repta boost, a lot of the
dragons do like it. You can also get some chicken or turkey baby food, mixed with either
squash or sweet potato baby food to give to her using a plastic dropper or syringe. Just
drop some food onto her snout to see if she will lick any of the food off.
Be sure to keep her a little warmer overnight, around 75-80 to help boost her system.

Tracie

Eboyd203

Original Poster
Drache613":3c4j621s said:
Hello,

Which eye drops are you using right now, or are you just giving the baytril for an infection?
The Reptisun 10 T5 tube is a great bulb, so that's great you did get that ordered now. The
Zilla isn't very good & it wont give near enough UVB for your dragon.
As suggested, try using the honey with the warm water. It is highly effective since it's a
antimicrobial agent.
What foods are you trying to give to her? You can try using the repta boost, a lot of the
dragons do like it. You can also get some chicken or turkey baby food, mixed with either
squash or sweet potato baby food to give to her using a plastic dropper or syringe. Just
drop some food onto her snout to see if she will lick any of the food off.
Be sure to keep her a little warmer overnight, around 75-80 to help boost her system.

Tracie

The drops I was given are called tobramycin ophthalmic soution. I have started her on the repa boost and she have a very foul diarrhea the next day, is that normal? I stopped using it and ordered and gave her lastnight the critical care carnivore care , is that safe to use? . So far she hasn’t used the bathroom from it. Also this morning her eyes we sealed again so I cleaned with saline and put the drops prescribed again. I’m going to try the honey mix now that I got them open again, how quick should I see results after using that?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The carnivore care is very good stuff --- you might want to get some herbivore as well and mix them -I would make it kinda soupy so shes getting water as well and its thick anyway - how are you feeding? the proper UVB placed is going to help w/ everything - once you get it placed and proper distance you should see a difference very quickly --
Karrie

Eboyd203

Original Poster
KarrieRee":88qum5yq said:
The carnivore care is very good stuff --- you might want to get some herbivore as well and mix them -I would make it kinda soupy so shes getting water as well and its thick anyway - how are you feeding? the proper UVB placed is going to help w/ everything - once you get it placed and proper distance you should see a difference very quickly --
Karrie
Hi when I was giving her the repa boost the following day her stool was like diarrhea and smelled very fowl. I discontinued using it and used the carnivore care , she hasnt had a bowel movement yet. What should I expect when she does? Also was the bowel movement from the repa normal?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is this the first time for the real bad smell? And not sure about the runny stool from the repta boost haven't heard of that before-- it's possible she might have parasites- runny stools and bad smell is usually a good sign w/ poor uvb as well--
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom