Asking for Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vampgutz

Okay, so I know this is completely up to me regardless of what anyone says, but I’m just wanting to get some opinions because I’m starting to feel guilty for even considering this.

So anyways, Bee has recently passed away as I mentioned in a previous post. I’ve come to the conclusion that it was likely due to a seizure, as he did do some strange movement when I picked him up just before he went limp (stretching his front legs back in an odd fashion and opening his mouth weirdly), and I’ve watched some videos on it and some beardies who commonly have seizures seem to do the same thing. So luckily it probably wasn’t something that was my fault at least.

However, I spoke to the breeder I got him from, and she mentioned that she had a 1 1/2 year old male that she was looking to sell. I definitely would like to try again, and honestly an older one seems better as having to raise a baby is difficult as it is. But I feel like I’ll be replacing Bee, which isn’t the case but I just overthink a lot.

Regardless of that, I did say I’d be interested in him and already ordered a new UVB (it’s a long tube 18 in., can’t remember the brand right now), so I’ll probably be getting him anyways. I’m just kinda looking for some reassurance, as I’m sure most people feel this way after having lost a pet.

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
I know where you are coming from. When Mr. Pickles died (my 1st rescue dragon) I was crushed and blamed myself. I found out later he was much older than I was told but still I completely blamed myself. I wanted anther dragon but was scared that I would kill another one. I just finally had to let it go that life happens and I went back to the rescue and got myself another dragon.

So what I would suggest to you is if you want to raise another dragon than let the past go and got adopt one. Learn from the past but don't let it overwhelm you. Like I said life happens. Go give another dragon the best home and life you can.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The dragon your getting is a year and a half -- why is the person getting rid of him? Does he have health issues that you know of? people adopt dragons all the time and its nice to know if there are underlying circumstances so your a head of the game --- what size tank do your have? I am asking because you ordered a 18" fixture- that is going to need to go into the tank for sure as its a T 8 - please let us know the brand and bulb --- you want a Reptisun bulb
Karrie

Vampgutz

Original Poster
Shaun78":i2zf5bex said:
I know where you are coming from. When Mr. Pickles died (my 1st rescue dragon) I was crushed and blamed myself. I found out later he was much older than I was told but still I completely blamed myself. I wanted anther dragon but was scared that I would kill another one. I just finally had to let it go that life happens and I went back to the rescue and got myself another dragon.

So what I would suggest to you is if you want to raise another dragon than let the past go and got adopt one. Learn from the past but don't let it overwhelm you. Like I said life happens. Go give another dragon the best home and life you can.

Yeah, that’s true. I am scared of killing another one, but I guess you’re right, thank you. You’ve helped me a bit ^^

Vampgutz

Original Poster
KarrieRee":19uw23qm said:
The dragon your getting is a year and a half -- why is the person getting rid of him? Does he have health issues that you know of? people adopt dragons all the time and its nice to know if there are underlying circumstances so your a head of the game --- what size tank do your have? I am asking because you ordered a 18" fixture- that is going to need to go into the tank for sure as its a T 8 - please let us know the brand and bulb --- you want a Reptisun bulb
Karrie

Not as far as she told me, no. She said that she’s had him for a while but she didn’t have any for sale signs on his tank, so no one did go to adopt him. She said that she was honestly wanting to keep him so that’s surely why she had him for so long, but she said that he deserves a good home. I’m certain she would’ve told me of any health issues. When I was initially buying Bee there was another dragon there with an injured eye, which she said she’d give a discount on and went through the process of caring for him and whatnot. I didn’t get that one, but I’m sure she would’ve discussed it with me if there were any health issues with this one especially since she said he was in good shape and all.

My current tank is a 40 gallon breeder tank if I remember correctly. I might upgrade to a 75 gallon in the future, though. I’m fairly certain the brand is either Reptisun or Zilla, but I’m not completely sure since my father’s the one who ordered it. I’ll let you know what brand it is when it comes, which might be today but I don’t completely know.

saraho

Hatchling Member
I wouldn't think of adopting this new boy as replacing Bee. I'm also a cat owner and I've lost 3 in my adult life. There always seemed to be a situation where another one needed me after I lost one. When Tigger died, the vet needed to find a home for Bloo. When Oreo died, I rescued Stitch from the neighbor's built-in grill station (a hollow column). And when Bloo died, Domino grabbed me at the pet store and wouldn't let go. All of my boys are individuals and they have helped ease my whole family's sense of loss. I'm glad I have been able to provide a good home for them.

The point of my long story is that this new boy will be completely different from Bee, you'll develop a new and different bond, and you'll be giving him a wonderful life. Let him help ease your sadness.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
As someone who has grown up all my life surrounded by pets, it’s not replacing them. It’s pursuing your passion of loving animals. I’ve always had a new pet coming in within a few months of losing one as my house feels empty when there’s not the usual number of paws or fins or wings around. They know we love them. Let me find a meme I saw a few days ago about this situation.

Vampgutz

Original Poster
KarrieRee":203ffxir said:
Karrie

Super sorry for not updating anyone about this! So I actually got the beardie though, and I named him Helios. He’s doing really well in his new home, no stress marks or anything. He’s just a bit curious and he’s not eating as much as I’d like (he doesn’t like his greens lol), but he definitely likes his superworms a lot. I’m sure he’ll eat more once he gets used to his new home.

The UVB bulb is a Zilla brand bulb, to answer your question. He’s actually gaping and all, so his temps are definitely adequate which is a great sign too. And the breeder said he’s actually been very healthy since she’s had him, so everything’s doing well so far.

Vampgutz

Original Poster
saraho":38shmrqr said:
I wouldn't think of adopting this new boy as replacing Bee. I'm also a cat owner and I've lost 3 in my adult life. There always seemed to be a situation where another one needed me after I lost one. When Tigger died, the vet needed to find a home for Bloo. When Oreo died, I rescued Stitch from the neighbor's built-in grill station (a hollow column). And when Bloo died, Domino grabbed me at the pet store and wouldn't let go. All of my boys are individuals and they have helped ease my whole family's sense of loss. I'm glad I have been able to provide a good home for them.

The point of my long story is that this new boy will be completely different from Bee, you'll develop a new and different bond, and you'll be giving him a wonderful life. Let him help ease your sadness.

Yeah, you’re right. It just feels strange without another dragon to care for you know? I got the new bearded dragon so thanks for your reassurance ^^

Vampgutz

Original Poster
loljelloclowdz":3n9a6bmk said:
As someone who has grown up all my life surrounded by pets, it’s not replacing them. It’s pursuing your passion of loving animals. I’ve always had a new pet coming in within a few months of losing one as my house feels empty when there’s not the usual number of paws or fins or wings around. They know we love them. Let me find a meme I saw a few days ago about this situation.

Yeah, I completely understand that. It really does feel empty. I did get the new dragon, so thanks a lot for replying ^^

RachaelAnn

People often feel guilty after losing a beloved companion. Be it a cat, dog, bird, or in this case, a dragon. The idea of getting another one is painful, and often people feel guilty as if they're looking for a replacement. But that's simply not the case. You have a special love for said creature, and want them in your life. You can never replace those you lost, but can invite those you haven't met into your life. When I lost one of my rats, I felt like a murderer. I blamed myself for months and cried every day. But I had to pick myself up because I had others to take care of. They got me through, and I'm doing ok now and know that he died of old age, and it wasn't something that I had control over.

Live and love. That's all you can do.

And as long as they're alive in your mind, then they're never really gone.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, just wanted to chime in to make sure you have checked the Zilla fixture to see if it has a plastic cover. If so you have to remove it or it will block all the uvb.

Vampgutz

Original Poster
AHBD":15bmtunj said:
Hi there, just wanted to chime in to make sure you have checked the Zilla fixture to see if it has a plastic cover. If so you have to remove it or it will block all the uvb.

The fixture did come with a plastic cover but I was sure to remove it as soon as I got it, but thanks for checking that anyways :)

Vampgutz

Original Poster
RachaelAnn":2v1rcfxg said:
People often feel guilty after losing a beloved companion. Be it a cat, dog, bird, or in this case, a dragon. The idea of getting another one is painful, and often people feel guilty as if they're looking for a replacement. But that's simply not the case. You have a special love for said creature, and want them in your life. You can never replace those you lost, but can invite those you haven't met into your life. When I lost one of my rats, I felt like a murderer. I blamed myself for months and cried every day. But I had to pick myself up because I had others to take care of. They got me through, and I'm doing ok now and know that he died of old age, and it wasn't something that I had control over.

Live and love. That's all you can do.

And as long as they're alive in your mind, then they're never really gone.

Yeah, thank you. It’ll take me a bit to get over Bee’s death, but now I’ve got Helios to focus on, so I think I’ll be okay. And I’m glad that you’re okay after your pet’s death as well ^^

Tarbie

Adopt a rescue dragon would be my advice.

My new little pal Bob was left in a box in a park here in the UK and it's the middle of winter. He's lucky to be alive cos the temperature on the day he was left was probably less than 5 degrees C. He's also got mild MBD (he tries to run around my flat at 100 miles and hour but staggers around like an old drunk :lol:), his Femoral Pores are a little blocked and he's pretty skinny. But all of this can be greatly improved with the right nutrition and care.

He's a very happy, active little lizard despite the fact he's clearly had at least a few months of total neglect. Seeing him improve every day is a very rewarding. I suspect he's only young, maybe not even at full maturity, but I guess we'll see soon enough whether he has any growth left in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom