Chronic Diarrhea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach33

Hello and thanks for taking the time to read my question! My beardie, Pumpkin, is approximately 5 months old (got him as a baby in september) and has chronic diarrhea, where his stool is completely unformed and is just a soft pile. In November he was treated for coccidia with panacur and albon, as this is when the diarrhea started (he also wasnt eating then either). about a week after the antibiotics ended, his poops looked great and he started eating like a growing beardie should! After about 1 good week, the diarrhea was back. sometimes with blood in it, but he was eating great. back to the vet. fecal looked fine. treated for coccidia with albon again. poops looked good for 1-2 weeks. kept eating great and has since. then the diarrhea came back and hasnt stopped for about 3-4 weeks again now. hes eating like a hog and even shed twice this month so i know hes growing well. his basking spot is around 110 farenheit and has a zoomed T5 HO ReptiSun® 10.0 UVB . he gets greens daily, usually dandelion, turnip or collards and sometimes kale and eats them fairly well, and he eats gut loaded crickets 3 times a day (i feed him till he stops eating) and i give him 8 small mealworms a day because he loves his worms. his tank floor is lined with puppy pads which i change ever 3-7 days and whenever he poops i spot clean with diluted vinegar. i also just got him a background for 3 sides of his tank to help him feel secure. im at a loss of what to do because my baby cant seem to have a normal poop. he is still skittish. lets me pet him but only sometimes lets me pick him up, but doesnt show major signs of stress like glass surfing. I hate to go back to the vet when hes still eating and growing, plus i have albon leftover anyway. he also got benebac probiotic during his antibiotics. and since he was skinny after his first vet visit i fed him wax worms in small portions for a few months and he's a chunky little guy now with a big belly so I'm kind of concerned of overfeeding as well. He does seems to darken up and close his eyes often for an hour or so after eating so it looks like his littel belly hurts and it breaks my heart! Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'll try to include a picture of his enclosure as well.

110247-1484944299.jpg

Zach

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The screen on the tank is a fine mesh or a wide hole ? the basking decor needs to be directly under the UVB - if the screen is a fine mesh screen the UVB needs to go inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece - if the screen is a wide hole type it can sit on top but basking decor needs to be directly underneath approx 8-10 inches --- are you completely sanitizing the tank during the treatments of the coccidia -- the tank needs to be sanitized w/ Rescue --- Zoo Meds Wipe Out or F 10 --- everything but the basking decor piece and hide should be taken out during this time it will be less to clean every time - use paper towels for substrate so you can throw it away -- diet also has effect on the stools --- what are your feeding?
Karrie

Zach33

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1x9499e3 said:
The screen on the tank is a fine mesh or a wide hole ? the basking decor needs to be directly under the UVB - if the screen is a fine mesh screen the UVB needs to go inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece - if the screen is a wide hole type it can sit on top but basking decor needs to be directly underneath approx 8-10 inches --- are you completely sanitizing the tank during the treatments of the coccidia -- the tank needs to be sanitized w/ Rescue --- Zoo Meds Wipe Out or F 10 --- everything but the basking decor piece and hide should be taken out during this time it will be less to clean every time - use paper towels for substrate so you can throw it away -- diet also has effect on the stools --- what are your feeding?
Karrie

Hi Karrie and thanks for responding! It is a screen lid (fine mesh). Since I have no affordable way to mount the UVB in the tank i got him the highest power UVB bulb i could find (the reptisun 10.0 HO T5). It is right on top of his basking spot and also has a reflector. During both treatments for coccidia I cleaned everything with the wipe out during and after treatment. I use puppy pads for substrate and change them about every 3 days, and spot clean with diluted vinegar. I feed him gut loaded insects usually 3 times a day. Its been crickets lately. i give them to him with tongs until he's not interested. I also give him greens daily. No lettuce, just the good stuff like dandelion, collards, turnip and kale greens. he gets calcium with d3 5 times a week and the herptivite multivitamin twice a week.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
All sounds good but your T 5 must go into the tank --- here are some ways to hang it 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- fishing line-- potted plant wire hangers --and this is what I use they work great -- cut into strips its like a Velcro strap
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
Distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor -- please get this placed and see how it goes
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom