Reason for concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhurley79

Hello I just received my new baby dragon born on November 11th about a week ago. As I am new to bearded dragons and only have had one prior to this who was very sick when I got her as a baby (PetSmart) and ended up dying about 6 weeks after I got her (I tried everything to save her, 5 vet visits in less than 2 weeks). Needless to say I was very nervous getting another dragon after she died because I couldn’t help but put some of the blame on myself for not noticing she was sick before I did. Anyway my new baby dragon Arizona is all of a sudden acting different. For example yesterday he ate about 20-30 crickets today he’s eaten maybe 5 crickets and 3-5 dubia roaches. Also in some of the forums I’ve read baby bearded dragons should be pooping 3-5 times a day. He poops at most once every other day, but that has been consistent since I’ve gotten him from the breeder. All of a sudden tonight when it was time for bed he wedged himself between his food and water bowl as if he was hiding. I took him out and put him back on his hammock where he normally sleeps and he instantly wedged himself between his bowls again. I have never seen him act like this or try to hide before until earlier today when he lifted the paper towel I have down as substrate and layer under it. I took him out from underneath and he was fine. Tonight I emptied his water bowl out because I was afraid he may try and climb in there over night and could possibly drowned. All day he was running around in his tank full of energy. He was also glass surfing a bit today. Is this normal behavior? Am I stressing for nothing? I’m just afraid if he is sick I won’t notice right away like what happened with my first dragon and it will again be to late to save him. Any info/suggestions/advise anyone can give is greatly appreciated!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please get him a hide ---- go over the lighting in the tank -- UVB brand and bulb please basking temps what are they how are you taking them ? NO stick ons for temps -- digital probes please NO COILS for UVB's they are inadequate
Karrie

hhurley79

Original Poster
His UVB bulb is a Arcadia D3 12% UVB. He does have a hide in his tank. Cool side is 80 and basking side is 90. I do have stick up thermometers because I couldn’t figure out how to place the digital probes but I also have an infrared thermometer I check the temp with (mainly on top of his hide). Temp on top of his hide is 99. This morning he was chilling on top of his hammock and zooming around a little glass surfing. He also ate 8 small sub is roaches and 3 small bites of greens this morning.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please place the digital probe on the place he sits for basking wait 10 min get temp- you want that temp 105-110-- the UVB is a great one --- where in the tank is it? Top of screen or inside the tank ? It can sit on the top of screen BUT the screen needs to be a wide hole type -- if its a fine mesh like a screen door it would need to be in the tank ---- directly over the basking decor distance 12-15 inches please --- you dont need to leave the probe where he sits you can stick it to the side of the tank and spot check temps every so often --- the IR gun is good to have as well --- normal behavior for the glass surfing -- hes getting to know his surroundings -- and hes eating that is all good --- if you need to hang the UVB inside the tank and need help I have things I can post to help you
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom