Tail rot please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmiliaT

Hello my beardie has tail rot due to stuck on shed and I’m doing everything I can but it’s refusing to budge. I took her to the vet originally and they gave me some flamazine 1% to put on the tail in hopes that it wouldn’t get worse. Its starting to creep up the tail and quickly. I’ve noticed a kink on her tail where the stuck on shed is probably cutting off the circulation to the rest of it and that’s probably why she has tail rot. I’m giving her two 5 minute betadine baths a day plus an additional two 20 minute soaks in plain lukewarm water. I apply the flamazine once a day as well as aloe Vera in hopes to get rid of the stuck on shed. She has another vet appointment on Thursday. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to get rid of the stuck on shed and how long do I have to wait until it starts peeling off.

EmiliaT

Original Poster
AHBD":3fomk51l said:
Hi there, can you post pics of the tail ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

BTW, you can just do the betadine soaks and skip the 20 minute plain water soaks
110232-2285151575.jpg

Here’s a picture of your tail and my thumb shows where the stuck shed begins. I’ve done everything to get it to budge but sadly it just won’t and I don’t want her to have to get it amputated or loose more if it can be saved.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, that's going to need amputation right above where the bad parts. There's no way around it so definitely find a qualified reptile vet to have it done ASAP. They do very well with amputations and they do not feel much pain in their tail at all despite what some people think. They are usually up + eating the same or next day.

EmiliaT

Original Poster
AHBD":1o1o54kd said:
Aw, that's going to need amputation right above where the bad parts. There's no way around it so definitely find a qualified reptile vet to have it done ASAP. They do very well with amputations and they do not feel much pain in their tail at all despite what some people think. They are usually up + eating the same or next day.

I actually went to the vet today and she saw that the stuck on shed was higher up on the tail than we thought. So she cut off the dead tail, gave me some antibiotic shots to keep away any infections. And to keep up with the baths and cream that she gave me and hopefully it starts shedding soon. She said in the worse case scenario her tail will die to where the stuck on shed is. Besides the tail itself Cleo is acting and behaving healthy and did pass everywhere else on her check up today. Do you think is should listen to the vet or should I vector it amputated? It’s just that if it’s just amputated above the bad part it’ll keep dying to where my thumb is in the photo

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't think it would need cut all the way up to there but if that's what your vet decides you could go with it or get a second opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom