Adding Plants to viv

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Adding Plants to viv

Postby monster4567 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:18 pm

I have had my beardie for over a year, and he is a little over 1. I have wanted to add plants fr a while but decided to finally do it. I am looking for ideas that would do well and ways to add them. I have a 6ft long tank that's 2 ft wide (should be plenty of room to add whatever. Should I add pots, a low Tupperware, turn a corner into a garden, etc? Any ideas are appreciated.
monster4567
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Adding Plants to viv

Postby monster4567 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:05 pm

I was thinking of maybe adding basil, aloe, or maybe jade, but also read somewhere about a ponytail palm? if it was safe it seemed like a cool thing to add but I'm not sure if it would survive.
monster4567
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:48 am

You might be best off using some kind of tall grass. That is similar to what they would see in the wild. I've tried growing kale and collards in the enclosure (in the winter when they aren't in the garden) and had mixed results. The plants themselves grew pretty well, but they would get trampled by my dragon a lot. It is best to use a shallow pot with a wide base if you can in, in order to add stability.
CooperDragon

Postby monster4567 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:55 am

CooperDragon wrote:You might be best off using some kind of tall grass. That is similar to what they would see in the wild. I've tried growing kale and collards in the enclosure (in the winter when they aren't in the garden) and had mixed results. The plants themselves grew pretty well, but they would get trampled by my dragon a lot. It is best to use a shallow pot with a wide base if you can in, in order to add stability.

What types of grass are safe to use, and do you have any websites/ places to get them you would recommend?
monster4567
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:09 am

Maybe some lemon grass or wheat grass would work. Mint may also be a good choice and is pretty easy to care for. You might check out the biodude website and see if they have any bearded dragon specific plant packs available. They have full bioactive kits available, but will probably have some individual plants that you can purchase and set up.
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby bossdragon » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:18 am

I use just plastic plants so my beardie won't eat it. Also I have a bush sort of under a ledge so it gives him a nice hiding place.
bossdragon
Newbie Poster

Postby monster4567 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:17 am

CooperDragon wrote:Maybe some lemon grass or wheat grass would work. Mint may also be a good choice and is pretty easy to care for. You might check out the biodude website and see if they have any bearded dragon specific plant packs available. They have full bioactive kits available, but will probably have some individual plants that you can purchase and set up.

I ordered some lemongrass, a snake plant and a jade plant to add that should be good right? And then some herbs
monster4567
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:06 am

Yeah that sounds like a good way to go. Let me know how it works out :D
CooperDragon

Postby Wickedpogana » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:27 pm

Jade, optubnia, crassula , all types of aloe species . Herbs really dont work they're fragile get ate or cant handle the heat but they're are tons of veggies to grow that can survive like kale they're so much variety you can give them with live plants they have more benefits then just a meal
Wickedpogana
Juvie Poster

Location: Cleveland OHIO - You Can take a Beardie out of the Wild but you cant take the wild out of a Beardie
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures