Least stressful way to travel long distances

sarac

Hi everyone. I have to travel for 5 hours with my baby while she has a respiratory infection (I think) and I would like to make it the absolute least stressful that it needs to be. I’m just curious how everyone travels with their bearded dragons.

I’m not sure how to make it very warm in there without turning my heat all the way up which would be very uncomfortable for me lol. And I’m just wondering if everyone makes it really dark and has success with them falling asleep? Also just wondering if there’s any way to decrease the feel of the bumpy roads for her. I have to drive through NYC so.... I definitely need that. Any specific times to leave that you recommend? And when to stop feeding?

Thank you!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've taken my guy on a LOT of road trips over the years. 5 hours should be no problem and is a distance we do (or did until this year) routinely without issue. They do well at normal car temp so you don't need to crank the heat way up. Just keep it warm and comfortable for you. I usually have hand warmers with me in case of emergency (I prefer the 72hr reptile shipping ones like this http://www.heatpacksource.com/products/72-Hour-Shipping-Warmer.html)

It's good to have a bag of cleaning supplies on hand in case of poop (vinegar spray, disinfectant (F10) spray, paper towels, spare towels/blankets, disposable bags etc). On a short trip like that you don't really need to stop for sun or meals. On longer trips I usually stop at rest areas a few times per day to allow for some basking and a small snack (usually black soldier fly larvae since they're so easy to keep).

If you are going somewhere temporarily, I suggest using an adjustable lamp stand with a dome fixture and MVB (PowerSun 100w works well). You can set these up in hotels or in a guest room etc easily and they provide good portable heat and UVB when needed.

One thing I strongly suggest is getting a carrier that attaches to a seatbelt. I use this one all the time as both a carrier and portable housing (for them to sleep in overnight). https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EW2WKZU/

sarac

Original Poster
Awesome. My local reptile shop has the heating you were talking about. Do you wrap it in towels and put it in the carrier? Also should I completely avoid feeding that day? She wakes up at 8 and I can be ready to go by 9. I just need her to wake up and then I can gather her enclosure and leave. So i would be able to feed her once I got to my apartment. I’m going to my apartment at school so I will be there for months. Oh and should I wait for her to poop before I go? She usually poops around 9 or 10am.

I just really don’t want to stress her out. Her RI doesn’t seem bad at all and I really don’t think she needs meds, but I don’t want to make it get bad with this trip

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK great. With those heat packs, they don't get super hot to the touch so I usually just put them underneath a towel or fleece. They work REALLY well. I've used them on camping trips and they've kept my guy toasty warm (70s) in his enclosure (the one I linked to earlier) in the tent when the temps outside went down near freezing and they stayed warm for several days as advertised.
On car rides in winter when I've stopped at a restaurant for a meal (ah the good old days!) I sometimes left one under the towel I put down in the carrier to keep it warm the same way. They aren't often needed though.

I would probably wait for her to poop before the trip if she is on a schedule like that. It's kind of a pain to clean up in the car. Not impossible, but kind of time consuming. If she is acting normally and is OK with short car rides I don't think she'll have much problem with the trip. Some of them seem to actively enjoy road trips, but that really varies between them.

sarac

Original Poster
Alright. I’ve taken her to the vet and she was scratching the carrier for a little and then fell asleep, but it was dark. I also will probably use the heat pads because I really think if she has an RI I can’t really risk her temps falling. I don’t think I have time to order the carrier you have because I’m leaving on Saturday, but her carrier fits pretty snug when I seatbelt her in. And I guess I should wait to feed her then so she doesn’t need to do a ton of digesting during the trip. Thanks!! That helped a lot

DougFlecher

I usually use heat packs wrapped in a towel to provide warmth. It’s important to provide your little friend with a lot of free space made of smth soft to avoid problems caused by sudden motions. Tbh the best advice I’ve been given about traveling with bearded dragons is to have good relationships with a vet. We’ve been traveling a lot, so all the nearby hotels know my little dragon, lol. So, I’m convinced it’s much better than anything google can advise you. Feel free to ask your vet anything, even if the question seems to be a bit dummy for you. The best question is the asked question. Btw, you can also find a private vet that works for the hotel.a

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom