Adding Plants to tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had my beardie for over a year, and he is a little over 1. I have wanted to add plants for a while but decided to finally do it. I am looking for ideas that would do well and ways to add them. I have a 6ft long tank that's 2 ft wide (should be plenty of room to add whatever. Should I add pots, a low Tupperware, turn a corner into a garden, etc? Any ideas are appreciated.

saraho

Hatchling Member
I'm considering adding some plants too. Charlie and I killed the succulents I added when he first came to live at the library (I refuse to take the whole blame,) but I think I'd like to grow edible herbs such as cilantro and basil in his tank. He's super picky about greens, and I have read that some beardies want them in a more natural environment, growing instead of from my refrigerator.

monster4567

Original Poster
saraho":2pbyj23e said:
I'm considering adding some plants too. Charlie and I killed the succulents I added when he first came to live at the library (I refuse to take the whole blame,) but I think I'd like to grow edible herbs such as cilantro and basil in his tank. He's super picky about greens, and I have read that some beardies want them in a more natural environment, growing instead of from my refrigerator.

I think I'm gonna add herbs and then maybe a few succulents. Not gonna add too many plants for now.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
I would stay away from succulents as most are poisonous to beardies. They lick everything around them, so make sure you choose plants that are safe and even a bit edible like cilantro, parsley, and turnip.

monster4567

Original Poster
loljelloclowdz":1ed705wh said:
I would stay away from succulents as most are poisonous to beardies. They lick everything around them, so make sure you choose plants that are safe and even a bit edible like cilantro, parsley, and turnip.

I was only going to add aloe vera I think maybe a dwarf jade later. I thought those were okay? I think in total it was a snake plant, aloe, lemongrass, rosemary, and cilantro. They all are still really small and not gonna add them all together.

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
loljelloclowdz":9tagfx80 said:
Totally not true lmao most if all the plants that I use are succulents and they're totally safe haha . Jade is safe , pretty much all aloe species. The Hens and chicks and houseleeks species all fine haha Mother of thousands, Crassula ovata, haworthia , jade , echeverria , burrows tail is a favorite of mine and the best Elephant feed hundreds of more safe succulents they're hardy and can handle the temperatures and humidity in therye enclosure best way to go about using plants is going bioactive and then the plants will not only feed your beardie but break down waste and fungi in they're enclosure

So how would you add them in? I'm not doing a bioactive. I would love just to be able to put them as potted plants but what kind of substrate would you use? I know succulents want the cactus mix, but I'm not sure if that would be ok for my bd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom