Glass surfing and not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spennywise

My male beardie is 8yrs old and for the past few days, he has been glass surfing, sometimes for the whole day, but not eating. He isn't grumpy or aggressive. If it wasn't for the fact he wasn't eating I would just assume he wants attention as he stops when I open the glass and stroke him.
I've heard this behaviour could be him looking for a mate? We moved our furniture around recently, including the position of his tank; could it be that? That isn't new though, we have done it before; even moved house twice with him.

Like I said, he doesn't appear grumpy and isnt aggressive. I'm just super worried because he hasn't eaten anything in nearly a week. Wax worms are him favourite but he literally turns his nose up and closes his eyes at them.

Any ideas? He has an appointment with the vet tomorrow.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have any pictures of your dragon, along with your tank setup so we can be sure
everything is all correct?
They definitely have increased hormonal levels during the early spring, sometimes before.
A decreased appetite, black beard & restless behavior are typical during mating season.
Yes, they can sometimes be a little stressed if the tank has been rearranged & it could be
a little while before he calms down & becomes accustomed to his new surroundings.
How often do you get him out of his tank to exercise?

Tracie

Spennywise

Original Poster
I'm not actually sure how to upload images on here. However, we haven't amended his set up at all. He has always been very content and happy with it. It's a 4ft tank with a large log across. Plenty of basking room on the hot side, a place to sit on in the middle and in the cooler side too, with something to go under if he wants.
We get him out maybe one a week sometimes fortnightly though as we have two cats so can't let him out loose like we normally used to years ago. Regarding the cats, they aren't too interested in him and he has always been very calm and seemed quite happy around them (behind the glass).
He's never been like this though. He has actually stopped glass surfing since I posted this... Typical!
It's the not eating that is worrying me though.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so I need pics of the lighting UVB --- brand and bulb --- coil or tube? The loose substrate I would get rid of too much risk of impaction and it looks like wood chips which could cause internal injuries if injested --- basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- NO colored bulbs please -- they can cause long term eye damage -- and disrupt sleep-- you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store cut it to the size of the tank insects cannot get underneath clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 solution for clean up-- the glass surfing could be caused by incorrect temps meaning too hot - or the UVB - could be just curious but we need to rule out some of the things mentioned the not eating that could be the same causes as well --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom