Adding Plants to viv

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had my beardie for over a year, and he is a little over 1. I have wanted to add plants fr a while but decided to finally do it. I am looking for ideas that would do well and ways to add them. I have a 6ft long tank that's 2 ft wide (should be plenty of room to add whatever. Should I add pots, a low Tupperware, turn a corner into a garden, etc? Any ideas are appreciated.

monster4567

Original Poster
I was thinking of maybe adding basil, aloe, or maybe jade, but also read somewhere about a ponytail palm? if it was safe it seemed like a cool thing to add but I'm not sure if it would survive.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You might be best off using some kind of tall grass. That is similar to what they would see in the wild. I've tried growing kale and collards in the enclosure (in the winter when they aren't in the garden) and had mixed results. The plants themselves grew pretty well, but they would get trampled by my dragon a lot. It is best to use a shallow pot with a wide base if you can in, in order to add stability.

monster4567

Original Poster
CooperDragon":59etk4rr said:
You might be best off using some kind of tall grass. That is similar to what they would see in the wild. I've tried growing kale and collards in the enclosure (in the winter when they aren't in the garden) and had mixed results. The plants themselves grew pretty well, but they would get trampled by my dragon a lot. It is best to use a shallow pot with a wide base if you can in, in order to add stability.

What types of grass are safe to use, and do you have any websites/ places to get them you would recommend?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Maybe some lemon grass or wheat grass would work. Mint may also be a good choice and is pretty easy to care for. You might check out the biodude website and see if they have any bearded dragon specific plant packs available. They have full bioactive kits available, but will probably have some individual plants that you can purchase and set up.

I use just plastic plants so my beardie won't eat it. Also I have a bush sort of under a ledge so it gives him a nice hiding place.

monster4567

Original Poster
CooperDragon":34q4w2kl said:
Maybe some lemon grass or wheat grass would work. Mint may also be a good choice and is pretty easy to care for. You might check out the biodude website and see if they have any bearded dragon specific plant packs available. They have full bioactive kits available, but will probably have some individual plants that you can purchase and set up.

I ordered some lemongrass, a snake plant and a jade plant to add that should be good right? And then some herbs

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Jade, optubnia, crassula , all types of aloe species . Herbs really dont work they're fragile get ate or cant handle the heat but they're are tons of veggies to grow that can survive like kale they're so much variety you can give them with live plants they have more benefits then just a meal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom