Looking for some new advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so basking decor needs to be directly underneath- approx 6-8 inches from it--- how old is?
Karrie

DragonCompanion21

Original Poster
There is one that he has had since we got him (which has been cleaned several times), but there is also a mostly unused hammock that could be considered newer. However, whenever I put the hammock in there, he usually just goes underneath into the shade. Do you think a brand new piece would encourage him to bask?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would move that hammock and see if he will bask on the log- try that and see what his behavior does- your better off w/ a fleece or cloth hammock - the mesh tend to catch their nails and they get caught hurting themselves
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, best to remove the hammock since he won't bask on it, get a larger branch to use for basking . The uvb is fine where it is so just put in a nice log like one of these that I collect outside and sterilize in the oven at 250 for an hour or so.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30032/full

The piece in the middle is actually a very old driftwood root, all one piece.

DragonCompanion21

Original Poster
Okay, so after removing the hammock he still won't bask on his log. I will probably look for some driftwood or other piece of decor that I can use after being sterilized or bought. I noticed he will still stay in the same spot even if the temperature is slightly higher without the shade. I don't know why, but sometimes he will climb the back of the tank vertically, is this normal?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks pretty good sized. This time of year a lot of beardies brumate. Both of my 8 year olds are sleeping right now. You have to give him a hide and you can turn the lights on a bit later in the day or just be sure he has a pretty cool area to sleep. BTW are you positive he's a male ? If not, here's how to tell :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/

DragonCompanion21

Original Poster
The vetinary clinic I got him from said he was a male and had been brought in from someone who had put him in the same enclosure with another bearded dragon, and he hurt his leg when they ended up fighting. Personally I will check again, but I was always afraid of hurting him accidentally if I lifted his tail up too much, and as a result couldn't get clear results.

DragonCompanion21

Original Poster
Well, another possible concern has arisen. Spike is always trying to be in his hide and isn't very active. In addition, he won't eat his greens (collard, kale, and mustard). Although I thought this could be brumation at first, he doesn't really sleep (just sits awake in one place all day) and perks up immediately if he sees any dubias. I've been keeping him away from the dubia roaches in hopes he could get hungry enough to eat his greens, but he doesn't seem to be interested. I am afraid waiting too long will result in dehydration, as he doesn't drink any water (at all, even from misting). I've even tried putting a chopped-up raspberry (it is a treat and I only feed them once a month or less) under greens to try and get him to eat them on his way to the raspberries. He's either uninterested or will somehow pick out the raspberries and ignore the greens. What else can/should I do?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks good weight wise, nice body structure and not thin or anything. You can hold off on the dubias and just offer the greens for now with no problem. Or offer only 1-2 dubias and while he's waititing on another one give him the greens . Some days no dubias but only greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom