PROLAPSE! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alyssac

So I woke up this morning to clean my enclosure and noticed that my pygmy beardie, Spike, had something hanging from his/her (unsure of sex) anus and I thought that it was a poop so I thought Spike was constipated and needed some assistance in getting it out so I tried tugging on it a bit not knowing it was prolapse... After a while, I stopped because it just wasn't moving and I didn't want to cause any harm to Spike. I searched up on the internet and was extremely worried as I couldn't find any related articles, forums and images that looked like Spike's situation. I eventually came across a prolapse article and the images looked exactly like Spike's so I was relieved to know that the situation wasn't unknown of. Since then, I have given Spike a bath for 30+ minutes and right now Spike is soaking in a sugar solution which he/she has been in for maybe 20 minutes so far. Rung the vet and I have an appointment at 2.00PM this Thursday, is this enough time for Spike to be treated? Inside the enclosure, the sand carpet thing was very dirty with poo so I took it out and disposed of it and replaced it with newspaper until I can upgrade to a larger enclosure because right now, Spike and Sandy (my other beardie) enclosure is too small for them I have been told. Sandy thought it would be a good idea to swim around in the water dish and spill the water all over the freshly laid newspaper :lol: but I suppose this may have actually come in handy since Spike's prolapse needs to be kept hydrated and moist? If anyone has any further advice or tips please answer because I am worried about my beardie! :(

alyssac

Original Poster
Also! Just to add on, the prolapse is bleeding, not much but it still is very worrying! :( If anyone has any help on how to assist with the bleeding please reply!

alyssac

Original Poster
Additional information: Spike is around 6-7 years old I believe and has never had a prolapse before. The prolapse is large and red, about more than a centimetre in length and about half a centimetre in thickness. Spike usually does not eat veggies and fruits because I have tried to get my beardies to eat veggies but they are just so stubborn and will only eat mealworms and crickets. I will however, start trying again to get them to eat their veggies. The UVB light is on for most of the day, I'm not sure what brand it is though.

Since it sounds like a full prolapse, it might be a good idea to try and find an emergency vet for this one rather than waiting it out. I'm surprised that they are making you wait until Thursday to go in, a prolapse is a pretty serious issue. Some of the articles I've read for dogs recommend wrapping the prolapse in wet gauze until you are able to get to the vet, to prevent the tissue from drying out rather than keeping them in the bath the whole time, which you would have to maintain the temperature of. I'm not sure what to do about the bleeding, but it is worrying. What seems like a little bit of blood to us can be a lot for a little beardie. Hopefully it will slow down or stop with some time.

You may want to consider putting Spike into a smaller enclosure until the vet visit, to prevent them from hurting themselves on anything that may be in the normal enclosure, I'd definitely recommend separating the two of them until Spike's prolapse is fixed. A large tupperware or other plastic bin with holes in the lid and lined with newspaper should be okay until then. Make it bland. Just the newspaper, and a water dish. Definitely don't feed him until this issue is resolved, no food will be okay for a day or two. If you have trouble with the temps in the smaller bin, I would get either a hand warmer or a bag/bottle of hot water and wrap it up with a towel, and place it in there with them.

Hopefully all goes well, and you may want to consider keeping Spike extra hydrated from now on, or adding a little bit of olive oil into his diet to help him poop a little easier and prevent it from happening again.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
You only have a few hours to get a prolapse treated because the anus will cut off blood circulation to it and cause necrosis of the tissue. Since it’s intestine, this usually kills them. You need to get them to an emergency vet.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing, is she stable right now?
Continue to keep the area which prolapsed moist. You can use vaseline, ky jelly, etc on
that area to help. Your vet appointment is thursday?
I hope that it isn't bleeding at this moment, it does sound very serious though.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom