"Burping" while sleeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarac

Original Poster
AHBD":3v83yevo said:
Did she eat any more today ? Still active ?

No to both. But it was really hard to tell because we went to the vet and she just shed. The shed was very stressful for her. She only ate 2 crickets and some greens today before the vet and then it was too late to keep feeding her by the time we were back. I can tell you that the gaping is much more frequent. About every 5 mins in her sleep. The tank is 80 degrees right now

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hopefully it calms down over night when you are sleeping and not seeing it. She might do a little better with a warmer tank.

sarac

Original Poster
AHBD":2ill8u5h said:
Hopefully it calms down over night when you are sleeping and not seeing it. She might do a little better with a warmer tank.

Are there any guesses on what this is? Knowing that there is gas in her belly and moderate coccidia? I can’t find anything and feel hopeless about it

sarac

Original Poster
Just curious... does anyone think this could be adenovirus? She is acting soooo normal besides the gaping. I did see a tiny bit of saliva when she opened her mouth today to gape, but I saw her gape a few more times and didn’t see it. Although she does sound like she has some more saliva.

Anyways, she has a ton of energy and ran for her greens this morning (I feed those first so she’ll eat them, because she always goes for the bugs). Idk, RI just seems weird to me since it’s been 2 weeks. You would think she would be dead by now from an RI. And I don’t see how coccidia would make her gape?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good that she has energy and is eating. :) It's not gas + burping, it's most likely a mild R.I which sometimes gets better just by putting the temps. up a bit. An R.I. CAN cause death but just like with other creatures there are many degrees of severity for an R.I, some are easy to recover from, others are not.

sarac

Original Poster
Is it really possible that an RI wouldn’t have drastically gotten worse over 2 weeks of no treatment? I mean the signs have gotten worse, but everything else seems the same. I have the temps raised to 80 at night now - although i only have one lightbulb holder and this morning with 4 hours of sleep I tried to take the hot lightbulb out with my blanket... needless to say I now have a hole in my blanket and a bulb with melted blanket on it lol.

But yes anyways this is so strange. I have to make the 5 hour drive to school on Friday, but I’m wondering if I should just avoid it so this doesn’t progress (even though I really have to at least by Sunday)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, it's possible. I really don't know what to tell you but it's possible that she will recover now that you've increased the heat a bit. Sorry that you burned the blanket, hopefully the bulb won't burn out now. Is it giving off any odors ? Be sure to have a spare bulb on hand. You can actually use Halogen bulbs like this for heat, get them at Walmart or possibly Home Depot, a 4 pack for about $ 6:

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29993/full

As for the 5 hour trip, you'll have to decide if you're going to do it. I really feel for you trying to decide what to do.

sarac

Original Poster
AHBD":3hp1bl6u said:
Yes, it's possible. I really don't know what to tell you but it's possible that she will recover now that you've increased the heat a bit. Sorry that you burned the blanket, hopefully the bulb won't burn out now. Is it giving off any odors ? Be sure to have a spare bulb on hand. You can actually use Halogen bulbs like this for heat, get them at Walmart or possibly Home Depot, a 4 pack for about $ 6:

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29993/full

As for the 5 hour trip, you'll have to decide if you're going to do it. I really feel for you trying to decide what to do.

I think I can just wash it off lol, I just thought it was funny that this is what no sleep does to me! Haha. I think if symptoms get better or stay the same I will have to make the 5 hour trip. I also have an actual reliable vet who really cares about Lemon at my school and has opened spots for me when there are really none.

If her symptoms worsen then I will really have to decide because I do actually need to go back to school. Everything is online, but I do a lot of research there. Anyways, enough of my life story lol... thank you for your help. It seems that everyone has varying opinions on this situation. I will keep this thread updated

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh O.K., so you are going to school 5 hrs. away and taking your beardie anyway ? Or am I mixed up lol.

sarac

Original Poster
AHBD":2ublgys0 said:
Oh O.K., so you are going to school 5 hrs. away and taking your beardie anyway ? Or am I mixed up lol.

Yes. I’m home right now for our break. I live in NY and go to school in PA so it’s 5 hours away. I could leave her here, but my family does not like insects. I’m sure they would ask if they could feed her pellets or something. Otherwise they would take good care of her, but I don’t want to put her on an inadequate diet. Plus she really likes things that are moving so I don’t even know if she would eat pellets. I just think for the best care I should take her.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
So for the trip just put her in a shoebox or similar sized box with shredded newspaper and keep the heat on in the car enough to keep her around 80F. She should do fine on the trip, just don't feed her before the trip unless it's several hours before you have to leave. If you're leaving in the morning don't feed her and make sure the car is warm before you bring her in. If you have heated seats you can put it on low for her.

sarac

Original Poster
Ok. I’m trying to weigh out the pros and cons. I know it’s hard to give advice because the choice is all up to me. I’m just curious about this though. I had a chameleon who was sick and really went downhill from a car ride (she was awake the entire time no matter how dark I made it). I know they are extremely different and waaaaay more stressed than bearded dragons. BUT I was just curious if the recommendation is the same... as in try to make it dark so they will sleep the entire ride and not be stressed. She sleeps as soon as it gets dark, like when I took her to the vet at 5pm it was pitch black and she slept the whole ride

sarac

Original Poster
If it is highly stressful I am going to try to stay home. Although I just really probably can’t. I’ll at least try if in anyone’s experience traveling is pretty hard on them.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I have both veiled chams. as well as beardies. I bred beardies and transported them every month to shows around 3 -4 hrs. away from the size of 6 " and up, even in colder weather. Chams. are far more delicate than beardies. I never lost any to stress from a car trip. I set them up at the shows and they were fine , ate, etc. I shipped then cross country as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom