Swollen Bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, my 4 year old beardie has been having some problems recently and was wondering if anyone could help out? Around a month ago i thought she was constipated as she was not eating and i could see she was constantly trying to poo but after of 4 days of her not pooping, her bottom began leaking a white substance, after a day of her leaking i noticed that she was prolapsed, which was when i took her to the vet. The vet gave her fluids, antibiotics and cleaned her bottom out but not much improvement happened. After a week i started force feeding her greens and water but she wasnt interested in trying to eat/drink. Now fastfoward nearly a month after it started happening her bum has become quite swollen and hard. I give her warm baths 3-5 times a week, im still force feeding her and giving her water but still nothing is improving. Help?

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
She needs to go to the vet ASAP for an X-ray of whatever is going on. Also, did you mean 4 month old because there’s no way she’s 4 years old. She looks way too small to be 4. I’m wondering if those are really swollen testicles or if that’s an impaction. What substrate is she on?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh my, that is extremely swollen! She is 4 years old or 4 months?
What type of substrate is she on, sand or other loose substrate?
I would highly recommend a vet visit though as I don't think that is anything that can be treated
at home. It could be some type of abscess possibly, or impaction, but not sure. If she is 4 years
then it could be an egg but probably not.
Is her beard darkened?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Thebeardiecactus

Original Poster
loljelloclowdz":25oynqys said:
She needs to go to the vet ASAP for an X-ray of whatever is going on. Also, did you mean 4 month old because there’s no way she’s 4 years old. She looks way too small to be 4. I’m wondering if those are really swollen testicles or if that’s an impaction. What substrate is she on?
(Not 100% sure on gender) 4 years old, it may just be the angle that makes her look smaller. Shes on hardwood and under her rock/cave its reptile carpet. The vets here arent very reliable when it comes to reptiles as the one we usually see moved away last year. However, the one we saw the other week said it could potentially be a tumour and to confirm she would have to under go surgery so they can examine what it is.

Thebeardiecactus

Original Poster
Drache613":31qal0qf said:
Hello,

Oh my, that is extremely swollen! She is 4 years old or 4 months?
What type of substrate is she on, sand or other loose substrate?
I would highly recommend a vet visit though as I don't think that is anything that can be treated
at home. It could be some type of abscess possibly, or impaction, but not sure. If she is 4 years
then it could be an egg but probably not.
Is her beard darkened?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Shes 4 years old, shes on hardwood and reptile carpet. We'll try again with the vets but not really sure if they are reliable as the only good one we've been to moved away last year. We are not 100% sure on "her" gender so not sure about it being an egg. Her beard is its normal colour and she seems to be doing as well as she can :)

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Thebeardiecactus":1c1yoy8y said:
loljelloclowdz":1c1yoy8y said:
Also NO ENEMAS.
Sorry, having a bit of a blonde moment but whats an enema?

When someone squirts water or some other fluid into their butt. It’s not safe as it causes reptiles to die within minutes of getting it due to how fragile their intestines are. We don’t know exactly why, but enemas are lethal to most reptiles.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh my, your poor girl. That's a really serious condition and does not vet attention ASAP. You did good by taking her the first time but the vet needs to find out exactly what it is. If it WERE impaction it would be O.K. to have an enema if the vet is really experienced and did it slowly and just enough to relieve that pressure by releasing whatever would be jammed up in there. The alternative is a possible severe prolapse that could also be fatal. I think it's more likely to be a large abcess or [ hopefully not ] tumor. So find the best vet you can, with reptile experience. My heart goes out to you having to deal with this .

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Any progress on your girl today? Are you going to be able to get her to a vet soon, because
I just don't think that is going to be something you can take care of immediately, at home.
Is she still active & seemingly alert, etc?

Tracie

Thebeardiecactus

Original Poster
Drache613":19acm1q7 said:
Hello,

Any progress on your girl today? Are you going to be able to get her to a vet soon, because
I just don't think that is going to be something you can take care of immediately, at home.
Is she still active & seemingly alert, etc?

Tracie
The vet is fully booked until the 21st of Jan, however we dont know if we are okay finacially to cover the vet bills as we are in the process of buying a house, but obviously we are going to do everything we can to make sure she gets healthy again. She is still very active/alert and was just running around the back yard earlier.
Thank you for your concerns

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing, have there been any improvements for her?
Is she still eating & basking normally right now?
Please try to get her in if at all possible because this is a serious ailment & wont likely go
away on its own. Are you putting any raw honey on the area?
I hope she is feeling ok, please keep us posted on her condition!

Tracie

Thebeardiecactus

Original Poster
Drache613":1d8fsjc0 said:
Hello,

How is your girl doing, have there been any improvements for her?
Is she still eating & basking normally right now?
Please try to get her in if at all possible because this is a serious ailment & wont likely go
away on its own. Are you putting any raw honey on the area?
I hope she is feeling ok, please keep us posted on her condition!

Tracie
So, the vet allowed us to go in last Saturday (its currently wednesday) and he cleared it up and discovered a hole in her cloaca. He told us to put betadine on the hole and bring her back once a week so he can clear her out and see her progress. Yesterday she was not looking well at all and her eyes and eyebrows were shrunken we tried to book in with the vets and they said they could see her today, however when i woke up this morning and she was gone.
Thanks for the help and concern

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no, so sorry to hear this. :( Did he give an enema ? Her situation was very serious so there was likely very little room for error and also very little chance that she could recuperate . That was a very dangerous spot for her to have any type of injury and swelling so it was a long shot for her to survive. So sorry that this happened, my heart truly goes out to you . :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom