Help! Gulping/gasping mouth breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just offer water and hopefully it will flush out of his system. Only time will tell, you have my best wishes.

Kellytrotter

Dusty123":21m3lgdh said:
It’s mainly his front feet and fingers which are the problem and not his joints. I’m not sure if you can tell from the photo but the left ones seem much more swollen than the right (on the pic).

He was able to walk however when we touched his fingers he did seem to jump a little indicating that they were tender.

Yes we will stop the meds now. Thank you. Is there anything you can suggest we do with him if this could be a reaction to his meds?

And yes there are areas within his tank which are closer than 8-10” from his uvb light.

Hi - I’m so sorry your baby isn’t doing well. I rescue and have had many beardies come into my home very sick. Agree with what’s already been said. Is your vet a certified exotic vet? I would make sure of that to start. There is a “vet finder” link in this website that will allow you to locate a vet who is qualified to treat your baby. Have him evaluated for a respiratory infection. In the meantime - the photo you posted of his open mouth shows some strongly saliva that is hanging from the top jaw. This indicates dehydration. Saliva should be clear & runny. To address this, I would mix a 1 item baby food such as butternut squash, applesauce, sweet potato or carrot with pedialyte. I use about a 1:1 ratio plus a pinch of dry calcium powder. Being very careful to squirt into the side of his mouth (not toward the back of his throat), try to get 3-4 cc total per day in him, spread over the day. You can try it in 2 feedings. If he won’t tolerate that much in 2 feedings (throws it back up), make it 3 feedings. If he accepts this, try adding a tsp of Emeraid’s “Herbivore Sustain.” Amazon carries it. You’ll need to make it thin enough to go through the tip of a10 cc oral syringe. Don’t use a size syringe smaller than 10 cc. Weird as it sounds, the smaller the syringe, the more “force” there is in the stuff being ejected out the tip, increasing risk of aspiration. Think of a garden hose. A regular hose will have water than comes out the tip pretty fast. If you attached a fire hose to your spigot, the water would likely just trickle out. Why use the herbivore blend when beardies are omnivores? Sick & dehydrated beardies are prone to kidney failure & the last thing you want to give an animal in kidney failure is protein, as it must be almost totally excreted from the body via the kidneys. The lack of protein while you get your baby better will not hurt! If no better in a couple of days of supplemental feeding & hydration, OR if your beardie gets worse, go to a certified exotic vet & have him seen again. Good luck with your baby. You’re doing all you can! Plz keep us updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom