Brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
My beardie has sorta been in brumation. 4 days ago he came out and ate and I made sure he basked for several hours after. He still hasn't pooped. To this day he remains in his hide, not even sleeping usually. Should I take him out and make sure he poops?

Also, am I supposed to be turning off the lighting for him while he's in his hide all day? What if he's trying to sleep but he can't because of the slightly higher temps?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, how old + big is your dragon ? That's very typical behavior of plain old winter slow down and nothing to worry about. :) You can take him out to give him water about every 7-10 days but no need to feed him unless he comes out on his own and stays out for a few days in a row. If he's in good shape he will be fine , most beardies do some variation of this behavior including full blown brumation for some.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My beardie is 10 months and 19.5 inches. He was cleared for parasites in late October and weighs about 360g. So how should I go about his current "poopless" situation? And should I be turning off his heat light? Also he won't drink water that I drip on his nose or in a bath, how should I hydrate him when the time comes?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Don't worry, he will go when he needs to. You can still keep lights on but just reduce the hours by 1-2 since he's not truly brumating. And keep offering the water every week, drip it on his nose slowly and be patient.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My concern is that he might not be fully brumating because of the normal temps. I read that for a bearded dragon to fully brumate, they need cool temps to sleep properly, like at night. Don't they have deep sleep when the temps are around 65F? My cool side temps are around 75, so I'm thinking that might he too high.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No, they can sleep when the daytime temp. is higher. My dragons slept solid for 4 months with lights on during the day and normal temps. but night temps. with lights off were 63.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He still hasn't pooped. Should I be trying to help him or shouls I keep letting him do his thing? Also dripping water on his nose didn't work, and everything else stayed the same.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have any pictures of your dragon we could see?
How much did he eat?
As long as he didn't eat too much, you don't need to stress him to try & get him to go to
the bathroom, if he is in & out of brumation. Are you keeping any heating/lighting on during
the day while he is sleeping or relaxing?

Tracie

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I posted some info earlier in this topic's replies. Here are sone pictures:
108150-4047693922.jpg
108150-4496155335.jpg

He didn't eat too much, probably close to his daily portion of bugs. He didn't eat any kind of salads though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom