Bearded dragon got sucked up

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The 5.0 bulb is basically the same as your T 8 --- so its your choice -- the distance needs to be 6-8 inches from the basking decor directly above it w/ NO obstruction and NO clear plastic cover over the bulb -- if its on take it off please --- take the UVB fixture and place it width wise on the tank take the screen and butt it up against it w/ your basking bulb on top next to it -- when you move him to the bigger enclosure your gonna need the 10.0 bulb -- if you need a pic of the 20 gallon tank like I have described I can post a pic of mine the way I had it set up -- if you need more help please ask --- Tracie is going to haft to look at little dudes leg-- is he moving it at all? I know you said the other one he was using is that correct ? Is he black bearding at all ?
Karrie

Feetlover01

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1i4bltle said:
The 5.0 bulb is basically the same as your T 8 --- so its your choice -- the distance needs to be 6-8 inches from the basking decor directly above it w/ NO obstruction and NO clear plastic cover over the bulb -- if its on take it off please --- take the UVB fixture and place it width wise on the tank take the screen and butt it up against it w/ your basking bulb on top next to it -- when you move him to the bigger enclosure your gonna need the 10.0 bulb -- if you need a pic of the 20 gallon tank like I have described I can post a pic of mine the way I had it set up -- if you need more help please ask --- Tracie is going to haft to look at little dudes leg-- is he moving it at all? I know you said the other one he was using is that correct ? Is he black bearding at all ?
Karrie
He isn't moving the right rear leg at all. Beard is little black an looks to me. Like he's trying to hide. Here's a photo of my lights overview.
full

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok please get the T 8 unobstructed from all that I posted --- the screen is blocking 30% of the UVB rays and T 8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen and take the cover off the fixture too -- place the basking decor directly underneath it and I would get something that he can get on easily like a shoebox that can be cut at a slant so he can crawl up on it and put something like a dish towel covering it so he has something for leverage to get up -- is he mobile -- moving at all --
97951-9562450009.jpg
I am gonna say you should take him to the vet and have the leg X rayed to see if its broke -- I am not sure if they even can do that w / him being so small we will haft to let Tracie way in on that issue here is a website to find a reptile vet www.arav.org
Karrie

Feetlover01

Original Poster
KarrieRee":j2deho4o said:
Ok please get the T 8 unobstructed from all that I posted --- the screen is blocking 30% of the UVB rays and T 8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen and take the cover off the fixture too -- place the basking decor directly underneath it and I would get something that he can get on easily like a shoebox that can be cut at a slant so he can crawl up on it and put something like a dish towel covering it so he has something for leverage to get up -- is he mobile -- moving at all --
97951-9562450009.jpg
I am gonna say you should take him to the vet and have the leg X rayed to see if its broke -- I am not sure if they even can do that w / him being so small we will haft to let Tracie way in on that issue here is a website to find a reptile vet http://www.arav.org
Karrie
Hi again,
Took a photo will this work until I can get a better climb maybe a lamp holder and smaller uvb fixture.
full

Feetlover01":3jki195f said:
Myself? I think this message is cruel. If I had a way to help this little guy I would. I would even give him up if the op can fix this. I am already blaming myself. But this message is uncalled for. I made a mistake but not going put him in freezer smash him with a brick. Would be easy way out. But something I cannot do. I never hurt a animal or human. Not going start now. I just want him to get better. All I ask for an will pray tonight. I am already sick over this. Wasn't bad care just poor judgment on my part. Smh at this post. You actually should reread it. I sure hope you don't own a pet.
reereejugs":3jki195f said:
If you *really* can’t get that poor thing to the vet, you need to do the right thing and end it’s suffering yourself because the current circumstances are beyond cruel. I’m not blaming you—accidents happen—but you’re responsible for that animal and sometimes being responsible (unfortunately) means getting your hands dirty with things we don’t like thinking about.
Sometimes you need to make the hard decision, end it's suffering or get it professional help. Try talking to a vet online, they usually don't cost more than 10 dollars sometimes even less than 5 and maybe they can tell you what's wrong or list somethings that it could be, maybe they can also tell you the cost range to fix it, but leaving it be is just cruel. Also I think it's kinda funny that you say you have never hurt an animal when you are the cause of this mess and your dragon's suffering.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No the fixture is fine so it looks good but you need to make it so he has easy access to getting under neath- it--- both the UVB and the basking light- is he climbing on anything? And you want your distance for UVB 6-8 inches that's why I suggested the shoe box so it's like a platform/ shelf
Karrie

Feetlover01

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1onsja58 said:
No the fixture is fine so it looks good but you need to make it so he has easy access to getting under neath- it--- both the UVB and the basking light- is he climbing on anything? And you want your distance for UVB 6-8 inches that's why I suggested the shoe box so it's like a platform/ shelf
Karrie
Thank you an hes climbing was on vine I had in there most of this morning. Took that out trying find a taller ramp for both the lights. Temp gun measured his temp at 100 but was with the vine. Now its 94 with stacking stones. Lights are off now. Try figure out the 6-8 inch away from the lights. But get your shoe box idea. Make a ramp just shoe box I have didnt fit.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing today? I would highly recommend getting him as low on the floor for his
basking, etc, as possible. Just so his movement & stress is limited in the case it is badly
broken. Is it just one of his legs or both of them?
Has he shown any interest at all in food?

Tracie

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
I’m going to hell for laughing, please someone... anyone... slap some sense into me! It’s really not funny, I think it’s the shock factor of you slurping up your entire pet with a vacuum and them hating you for a day about it that got me cracked up. Were you aiming the vacuum at them or something? ?

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
reereejugs":3h3od29e said:
If you *really* can’t get that poor thing to the vet, you need to do the right thing and end it’s suffering yourself because the current circumstances are beyond cruel. I’m not blaming you—accidents happen—but you’re responsible for that animal and sometimes being responsible (unfortunately) means getting your hands dirty with things we don’t like thinking about.

I don’t think there’s a humane way to DIY euthanasia...

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Okay I’m not laughing anymore because he’s hurt real bad, which according to the rules of when to laugh at mishaps means no laughter is allowed and I genuinely feel bad for this little dude. I think it was just the idea that made me crack up at first because it’s bizarre. >.<

Feetlover01

Original Poster
Drache613":2uq0iid6 said:
Hello,

How is he doing today? I would highly recommend getting him as low on the floor for his
basking, etc, as possible. Just so his movement & stress is limited in the case it is badly
broken. Is it just one of his legs or both of them?
Has he shown any interest at all in food?

Tracie
Seems be more active but no movement in leg. He eat whole bowl of nutri worms i had in there from yesterday. Trying find a platform ramp about 4-5 inches tall. So its alittle closer to the lights. Its just his right rear leg. An he eat.

loljelloclowdz":16s2gew9 said:
I’m going to hell for laughing, please someone... anyone... slap some sense into me! It’s really not funny, I think it’s the shock factor of you slurping up your entire pet with a vacuum and them hating you for a day about it that got me cracked up. Were you aiming the vacuum at them or something? ?
Same, I was laughing so hard when I read that, like, use some common sense and get the dragon out before you start vacuuming

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If he ate, that's a really good sign. Just keep taking care of him the best you can and if his leg is broke you can apply for care credit to get him to a vet. A broken leg can be treated, hopefully it's not even broke but just a bad sprain.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Moderator Comment:

Ok, enough with the mockery. How can we expect to help dragons in need if people are afraid to come here with their problems because they think they will be ridiculed? It is an unfortunate situation that occured, but the only thing to do now is try to help the OP as best as we can so that the dragon has the best shot at recovering if possible.

This is a warning to all on this thread, the mockery needs to stop.

Once again, we are here for community, and to help people in need. Let's not make this a place hard to come for help...

That is good that he ate. Has he had a bowel movement yet?

Do you have a picture of him from today? How has his activity levels been? Hopefully his beard has lightened up.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom