Ground pumpkin seeds for pinworms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staygold

Hi. I was looking up pinworms and found a bunch of stuff saying that plain dried pumpkin seeds will paralyze the worms so they can move through the digestive tract in all sorts of animals.
I have tried searching pumpkin seeds and bearded dragons but all I find is that it can cause impaction.

Would impaction still be an issue if the pumpkin seeds were Ground Up and I picked out any bigger or stringy pieces that didnt turn to dust when ground?
Are pumpkin seeds safe for a bearded dragon?
Can you use pumpkin seeds even if she doesn't have a high pinworms count, but more of a preventative measure?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I've never heard of this , where did you originally read or hear about this ? Was it something that people were doing themselves ?

Staygold

Original Poster
AHBD":34kakh6q said:
Hi there, I've never heard of this , where did you originally read or hear about this ? Was it something that people were doing themselves ?
I saw it online , it was a video of a guy who had a farm and he feeds it to all of his animals. Horses cows chickens cats dogs excetera.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It would be interesting to determine the science behind this and find out more about if/why it is effective. It's not something I've heard of before.

Staygold

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1riq2y3g said:
It would be interesting to determine the science behind this and find out more about if/why it is effective. It's not something I've heard of before.

I am sorry about the late delay, I am having some scary issues with my new baby for the last week. She has food in her tummy and she is trying to brumate. trying everything I've been researching to try to fix the situation. But that is for another post.

Anyway
I can try to find the video again and then if I can figure out how could put the link up. But yes it would be good to know whether it could be be used as a precautionary against pinworms. I found it because I was looking for a treatment that would keep away pinworms and coccidia in bearded dragons.

Basically I would like to keep her as healthy as possible without having to have a vet visit because they are super expensive , especially if something is wrong. And I have already stolen from Peter to pay Paul to try to fix everything I can find wrong in the enclosure when I got her given to me. ( please don't get angry at me because I don't have the money. When I was asked if I could take her, I asked how much she would cost me a month , I was told $20 for mealworms a month and other than that she needed kale and veggies. . Since then I have found out that was very wrong . So I am searching how to keep vet visits down and I found a bunch of stuff on pinworms about pumpkin seeds in animals, as I said above apparently it paralyzes them so they just moved through the digestive tract. But I didn't find anything on coccidia as a preventative measure. The only things that showed up was giving her meds and giving her probiotics with the meds and lots of water.
I was searching on my tablet while I was writing this and I found the video. I can't copy and paste the link because I can't see the link itself on my tablet, the title is pumpkin season – using the seeds as a dewormer.

Staygold

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2k4shldb said:
I recently found a Nature Zone reptile worm guard and its main ingredient is pumpkin seed.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, I saw the article and might read it later. Something else important though is you have a new dragon and are afraid it's going to bbrumate with food in her stomach ? What methods are you using to try + make her poo ? Food in the stomach during brumation is not really a problem as some websites make it out to be. Plus, she may not really be brumating but just hiding for a few days in which case a new dragon is best left alone for the most part at first. . Can you post some pics of her , is she good size ? And some pics of her enclosure ?

Staygold

Original Poster
AHBD":be42g297 said:
O.K, I saw the article and might read it later. Something else important though is you have a new dragon and are afraid it's going to bbrumate with food in her stomach ? What methods are you using to try + make her poo ? Food in the stomach during brumation is not really a problem as some websites make it out to be. Plus, she may not really be brumating but just hiding for a few days in which case a new dragon is best left alone for the most part at first. . Can you post some pics of her , is she good size ? And some pics of her enclosure ?
Since I made that post she hasn't been trying to brumate. I think I have her lights and temperatures fixed, and have set her up with thermostats. I'm still a little confused of what the thermostat should be set at because everything I read or watch has different ranges for the proper temperatures and humidity. Anyway I'm pretty sure she is been doing good since then, other than the fact her poop has been running for the past 4 days or something like that, today is pooped look more normal. Anyway here's a picture of her enclosure and her. The picture of her isn't very good because she's already up on her hammock. She seems to go there really early to go to sleep. In the second picture of her, her log is blocking her tummy area. But I didn't want to disturb her just to take a picture.
109751-948431064.jpg
109751-6591490456.jpg
109751-7831354239.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She's a big stocky girl, looks very healthy visually. :) If she's not pooing for a while now you can offer some canned pumpkin [ with no spice ] or baby food like sweet potato, green bean or squash with or without a drop of olive oil. Still, don't worry if she doesn't go soon, it's very common and she will go when she's ready. :)

Staygold

Original Poster
AHBD":1f7jwke4 said:
She's a big stocky girl, looks very healthy visually. :) If she's not pooing for a while now you can offer some canned pumpkin [ with no spice ] or baby food like sweet potato, green bean or squash with or without a drop of olive oil. Still, don't worry if she doesn't go soon, it's very common and she will go when she's ready. :)
I'm sorry if I wrote that confusing. She has been going poo once a day, except it has been runny and squished. I have been trying to put weight on her since I watched a video on at home check up for bearded dragons and it said that her hip bones should not be sticking out. So she has been getting quite a few wax worms, which she just loves.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no, people have a bit of a distorted view of healthy beardie weight. Your girl is heading to the overweight side and you don't need her to gain any. :) Waxworms are not a good food item, they are fatty and not too nutritious.

Staygold

Original Poster
AHBD":ybbvm195 said:
Oh no, people have a bit of a distorted view of healthy beardie weight. Your girl is heading to the overweight side and you don't need her to gain any. :) Waxworms are not a good food item, they are fatty and not too nutritious.

Uh-oh, then I'm going to have to find somewhere that tells me an ideal weight for a length of a bearded dragon. Thanks for letting me know.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Your dragon is fine now, I just wouldn't have gaining weight as a goal, more like keeping it where it is. Feeding good veggies like collards, turnip, mustard, kale endive, dandelion, arugula, squash, green beans. There's no real universal chart for beardie weight, they can be built differently and weight can vary.

Staygold

Original Poster
AHBD":1hq0nyzs said:
Your dragon is fine now, I just wouldn't have gaining weight as a goal, more like keeping it where it is. Feeding good veggies like collards, turnip, mustard, kale endive, dandelion, arugula, squash, green beans. There's no real universal chart for beardie weight, they can be built differently and weight can vary.
Ok. Thank you.

Staygold

Original Poster
AHBD":3499p2g7 said:
Ok. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom