Beardie in the Window

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
So I had a rather interesting conversation with another dragon owner and he seems to think that me letting my dragon sit in the window for hours is basically animal abuse. I was seriously blown away by his thoughts. So to set this up I had posted a photo of Volcano asleep in the window. I had put him there while the sun was shining thru the window and he loves sitting there. I went off and did some house cleaning and football watching and he was still sitting in the window after the sun went down and he fell asleep there. I see no problems with this. Well according to this dude I:
A) Put Volcano at risk for skin cancer
B) Risked killing him when the sun went down and the temps dropped

I guess he doesn't realize the sun rays are natural UV and my home is heated even after the sun goes down. He went so far as to say he'll report me for animal abuse. I really couldn't even. Anyone else see a problem with leaving my beardie in the window?

107595-9137693536.jpg
107595-6696496033.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They really shouldnt be out for longer than 2 hrs w/ out having a heat source- he went to sleep because of the temp drop -- they like cool and dark so my advice is to not let him sit there that long - it is colder in that window sill -- and no its no animal abuse but just for info I would only let him sit there for a shorter period of time and if you have a chair you can set him on instead of a actual window sill I would put him there
Karrie

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":37gw3764 said:
They really shouldnt be out for longer than 2 hrs w/ out having a heat source- he went to sleep because of the temp drop -- they like cool and dark so my advice is to not let him sit there that long - it is colder in that window sill -- and no its no animal abuse but just for info I would only let him sit there for a shorter period of time and if you have a chair you can set him on instead of a actual window sill I would put him there
Karrie
My bad I should have mentioned right below him is the steam radiator. That's why I have the blanket there (other than he loves that blanket) is because the radiator is right there and I don't want him to accidently climb down on it and burn himself.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Personally I think its fine, and I've let my dragons out for much longer than 2 hours before. Some dragons just like to be out of their tanks longer than others. Every dragon is different.

The person you were interacting with has some very flawed logic.
Firstly, glass blocks uv radiation. Thats why you dont get sunburned when you drive or sit by a window.. so the only thing your dragon is getting from sitting in front of the window is a nice view.
Secondly, the sun goes down in the wild too... dragons do go looking for the heat lamp in the outback once its night time lol.

Sure he probably fell asleep as it was getting cooler and closer to his bedtime, that is a natural behavior for him, and he expects nighttime to be cooler.

If your dragon likes his time outside of his tank, I say do what makes your dragon happy. He has a short time in this world, its your job to give him the best happiest life you can.

That being said, you should never put him in a glass tank in front of the window or out in the sun. The glass can act like a magnifying glass and quickly cook your dragon.

-Brandon

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah I wasn't worried about it. I did check on him to make sure he wasn't cold and he loves his window time so I didn't want to deprive him of it. Plus when I did pick him up to put back in his enclosure he would not let go of that blanket.

And you are 100% right his enclosure is nowhere near a window. I was afraid of that so I made sure he was not in any direct line of sight to a window so his cage would not get any solar radiation from sunlight coming thru a window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom