She jumped out of her cage onto my shoulder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I just thought this was a funny story to share, so I figured I'd share it.

First off I didn't know dragons could jump , I wasn't told that when she was given to me. ( I knew nothing about looking after reptiles, I had only ever owned cats, dogs, and rats.)

I found this fact out one day when I was holding her on my lap and she jumped off my knee onto the coffee table. Holy Poopers did that surprise me! And it actually scared me because I heard that a big fall, even off of a bed or a couch, could bruise their belly and hurt them. As a side note question, does anybody know how high is too high to let them just run around. I'm asking because she loves looking out the window and my window sills are quite High. And also I live in the basement have an old house that has the carpet going part way up the wall, and she loves climbing the carpet but it must be at least two feet off the wall and I don't want her to fall.

Anyway the other day I opened her door and she just jumped off of her Rock onto my shoulder. Again she totally surprised me. She did the same thing today, except she was moving her feet like she was getting ready to pounce . I am wondering if she just wants out of her enclosure because something's wrong, whether she just wants out to explore, or maybe she actually likes me.

Anyway, I just got a kick out of the fact that she jumped from inside her cage to outside onto my shoulder. I hope some of you got a giggle from it too. Anyway, happy New Years everybody. Best wishes for 2021

saraho

Hatchling Member
I vote she did it because she likes you a lot!

Charlie is a jumper too. He likes to jump from hammock to hammock in his enclosure and he has jumped into my lap when we are outside on a walk. A car started very close by and scared him. Thankfully, mama was nearby to protect him.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I think it's also because he prefers shoulder time. Both Rosie and Lil Squirt - not so little anymore- seem to want shoulder time, 24/7 if they could get by with it. But the fact that he likes to jump means you need to keep 4 eyes on him at all times (difficult sometimes, I know)

Staygold

Original Poster
saraho":11wu5g4c said:
I vote she did it because she likes you a lot!

Charlie is a jumper too. He likes to jump from hammock to hammock in his enclosure and he has jumped into my lap when we are outside on a walk. A car started very close by and scared him. Thankfully, mama was nearby to protect him.
I hope she likes me .
Poor little dragon got scared, yes thankfully you were a nearby to make him feel secure.

Staygold

Original Poster
beardie parents":3ipo6l68 said:
I think it's also because he prefers shoulder time. Both Rosie and Lil Squirt - not so little anymore- seem to want shoulder time, 24/7 if they could get by with it. But the fact that he likes to jump means you need to keep 4 eyes on him at all times (difficult sometimes, I know)
Yes, she does tend to climb up to my shoulder almost every time I pick her up. Yes I have to keep a very close eye on her, one time she tried jumping off my shoulder while I was walking up the stairs. That would not be good.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Our girls are getting a bit older Rosie's 12 of 13. Lil Squirt is 8. I have known them to crawl from my shoulder to my back, this isn't so often anymore, that was when they were younger. We have leishes to put on them. We used them more when they were younger and wandering all over our front yard (we have 4 acres). We had to put orange cords on the leishes so we could find them when they were wandering all over everywhere, or so it seemed.

Staygold

Original Poster
beardie parents":3o8bao8x said:
Our girls are getting a bit older Rosie's 12 of 13. Lil Squirt is 8. I have known them to crawl from my shoulder to my back, this isn't so often anymore, that was when they were younger. We have leishes to put on them. We used them more when they were younger and wandering all over our front yard (we have 4 acres). We had to put orange cords on the leishes so we could find them when they were wandering all over everywhere, or so it seemed.
Sometimes she goes from my shoulder down my back oh, then I have to walk around all hunched over because I'm scared she's going to fall LOL. She also likes going up my head at the back of my neck. I think she knows it's harder for me to get her down from there LOL. The orange leashes are a good idea to be able to see them in the grass . I was planning on getting a leash for her and letting her roam around the yard in the summer, but three things worry me about this. All the crows and seagulls around, I don't want them to attack her. My parents own a dog that obviously goes to the bathroom in the yard and they don't scoop her poop, dad just mows the lawn mower over it. She is a tiny dog but that is still poop spread over the grass and I don't know if that would hurt her. And the third issue is that my mom has Gardens in the yard and tons of different flowers, so I would have to do a bunch of research to see what plants I would have to keep her away from. And we also have Buttercup throughout our grass , and I heard that is toxic to them.

RastaDragon

aawww thats really lovely! its little moments like this that are really magic i think.

my little Boggle is just over a year old now - he used to seem to believe he could fly and would launch himself off of / over anything he could.

now he's just happy wandering round exploring - he basically has the freedom of the house (he's not allowed in the kitchen or bathroom even though he's always trying to get in there - one time he actually managed to open the kitchen door and get in there after i took my eye off him for a moment!! scary lesson learnt).

the back of the sofa is, i guess, about 2.5ft high - he likes going over the back of it so i just put a bunch of cushions down there for him to land on.

he also likes sitting on the window ledge and we have a little system where i build a walkway from the sofa up to the window, again with cushions, and he just goes up there and comes back down whenever he wants!

(just to be clear - this is ALL under supervision, never left alone :D )

anyways, i think yours is a great story, and one of those lovely little moments.

RD.

saraho

Hatchling Member
[/quote]Yes, she does tend to climb up to my shoulder almost every time I pick her up. Yes I have to keep a very close eye on her, one time she tried jumping off my shoulder while I was walking up the stairs. That would not be good.[/quote]

I've been looking at a bungee leash and harness on Etsy. I'd like to have Charlie on my shoulder more but he thinks he can fly.

Don't know how high is too high for a beardie but they can survive a far fall. My beardie used to live on my dresser when he was small and when I was putting him away he didn't want to go back and just jumped out and fell to the floor. He was alright, there was carpet though, so it wasn't wood floors. I don't know how high your windows are, but if they are under 4ft off of the ground, you should be fine. My beardie has a little bridge with suction cups at one end, so we stick it to windows and he sits there with his blanket and looks out windows for hours
109724-1505437340.jpg

Staygold

Original Poster
RastaDragon":3mye5dkh said:
aawww thats really lovely! its little moments like this that are really magic i think.

my little Boggle is just over a year old now - he used to seem to believe he could fly and would launch himself off of / over anything he could.

now he's just happy wandering round exploring - he basically has the freedom of the house (he's not allowed in the kitchen or bathroom even though he's always trying to get in there - one time he actually managed to open the kitchen door and get in there after i took my eye off him for a moment!! scary lesson learnt).

the back of the sofa is, i guess, about 2.5ft high - he likes going over the back of it so i just put a bunch of cushions down there for him to land on.

he also likes sitting on the window ledge and we have a little system where i build a walkway from the sofa up to the window, again with cushions, and he just goes up there and comes back down whenever he wants!

(just to be clear - this is ALL under supervision, never left alone :D )

anyways, i think yours is a great story, and one of those lovely little moments.

RD.
Yes, I thought it was a cute little story. I believe Lady V thinks she can fly as well. I pretty much let her go wherever she wants when she is out of her room (cage), I follow her around constantly unless she is locked in my living room with me. She will jump off of my knee onto the table and try to go over the edge of the living room table, she hasn't made the jump yet because I stopped her every time oh, so I am not sure if it that is too high. She also likes going up to the back of my couch and tries going down the back of it, but I am right on her when she does that because I have a fake leather couch and she slides on it, and of course I do not want her to fall. I have thought about letting her perch by the window but I am in a half sunken basement for the window is a little higher then normal living room windows. I like the ramp idea, and putting pillows on the floor where she likes to jump from. Thank you for the ideas. Have a great day

Staygold

Original Poster
bossdragon":sijv5bwi said:
Don't know how high is too high for a beardie but they can survive a far fall. My beardie used to live on my dresser when he was small and when I was putting him away he didn't want to go back and just jumped out and fell to the floor. He was alright, there was carpet though, so it wasn't wood floors. I don't know how high your windows are, but if they are under 4ft off of the ground, you should be fine. My beardie has a little bridge with suction cups at one end, so we stick it to windows and he sits there with his blanket and looks out windows for hours
109724-1505437340.jpg
Well I am glad to hear that if she falls accidentally she is not going to die on me.
LOL Lady V will try the same thing when I try to put her back into her room sometimes. I love the window idea and I do have one of those long rectangle hammocks that if not being used in her room (cage)right now. That is an adorable picture. Thank you for sharing. I hope you have a great day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom