Dragons vs my garden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bkayee

So I am wanting to plant a small garden in my back yard but I also have a huge weed problem so it has been sprayed back their many times with weed killer but not in the area where my garden will be. So I’m wondering how close is to close for the weed killer to soak up into my garden witch I’ll be growing greens for my little guys? I can get the exact distance it is but at the moment I have yet to measure. All information is welcomed thank you and happy holidays :)

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Bkayee":9zrazdzt said:
So I am wanting to plant a small garden in my back yard but I also have a huge weed problem so it has been sprayed back their many times with weed killer but not in the area where my garden will be. So I’m wondering how close is to close for the weed killer to soak up into my garden witch I’ll be growing greens for my little guys? I can get the exact distance it is but at the moment I have yet to measure. All information is welcomed thank you and happy holidays :)
It really depends on what product was used, most herbicides do not have a residual effect. The only one that does is Atrex and even then is only a 1/2 a year, there are a few more but these are the only ones that we use. The ones that do not require a private applicator license, are the ones that have little to no residual, ( RoundUp will become inert when it hits dirt).
Insecticides are a bit tricky, these are the ones to worry about!!!

I hope this helps.

Bkayee

Original Poster
Okaye. I’m using killzall weed killer and it’s only used this time of year to kill the weeds . But thank you ! Maybe I’ll put a raised bed in to be extra safe because it’s going to be used for 75% of my dragons food .

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Killzall is basically Roundup @ 41% glysophate. It has no residual effect.
Insecticides are more dangerous.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
I'm a gardener, biology major, chemistry minor, and a certified Frog Watch USA volunteer, DO NOT USE CHEMICALS ON YOUR GARDEN!!! I know it's a pain in the neck, but please just pull them out by hand. Not only do you risk getting your pets and yourself sick from eating food that might have grown with some herbicide on them, but you saturate the soil with it which will spread into the ecosystem and hurt everything from beneficial bacteria to endangered but critical plants and animals like bees, birds, and amphibians. Besides, you'll likely have the soil continually killing off your good plants if you plant them in the dirt with the herbicides.
If you don't want to pull them out by hand because it's boring, what I usually do is I just listen to The Office or some other TV show on my phone and get pulling. You'll have significantly healthier dirt and plants if you keep your garden organic and free of any weeds. You'd be surprised how easy it is to remove weeds if you use some handheld tools. Also just weeding once or twice a week will cut down significantly on the amount of work you'll have to do out there. Just please promise me you'll never ever use herbicides again, those are so horrible for our ecosystem.

Gotthard

I use the safest form of chemicals for the garden, since it can be dangerous with kids running around in the yeard.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
loljelloclowdz":2plktsmb said:
I'm a gardener, biology major, chemistry minor, and a certified Frog Watch USA volunteer, DO NOT USE CHEMICALS ON YOUR GARDEN!!! I know it's a pain in the neck, but please just pull them out by hand. Not only do you risk getting your pets and yourself sick from eating food that might have grown with some herbicide on them, but you saturate the soil with it which will spread into the ecosystem and hurt everything from beneficial bacteria to endangered but critical plants and animals like bees, birds, and amphibians. Besides, you'll likely have the soil continually killing off your good plants if you plant them in the dirt with the herbicides.
If you don't want to pull them out by hand because it's boring, what I usually do is I just listen to The Office or some other TV show on my phone and get pulling. You'll have significantly healthier dirt and plants if you keep your garden organic and free of any weeds. You'd be surprised how easy it is to remove weeds if you use some handheld tools. Also just weeding once or twice a week will cut down significantly on the amount of work you'll have to do out there. Just please promise me you'll never ever use herbicides again, those are so horrible for our ecosystem.
Do a little research! Glysophate (aka roundup) has no residual effect (becomes inert when it comes in contact with the soil). Yes there are chemicals out there that do, but glysophate is not one of them. You would never put chemicals ON your plants in the garden, it would be counter productive to say the least.

Gotthard

I use the safest form of chemicals for the garden since it can be dangerous with kids running around in the years. I want of course my crop sizes to be considered as high as possible, but safety and allowing the kids to have fun in the yard is part of the deal. A safe hose to drink water from is also a nice addition for them and cornygardener.com has some nice comparisons on which one to choose. We live in an area where rain is scarce and watering the plants is a must daily. What do you guys think of such water hoses? Is anyone using them?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Gotthard":2xjhtm8c said:
I use the safest form of chemicals for the garden, since it can be dangerous with kids running around in the yeard.
That's the only way to go.
In theory organic gardening is nice but, in reality it doesn't work well. A garden is planted to PRODUCE a variety of vegetables in certain quantities. If you go organic, your garden would have to be half again that size to get the same result, because weeds and insects will starve your plants or destroy them. You would be working yourself to a frazzle to get little gain.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.P , I have friends that have yearly gardens and NEVER use a drop of any chemical in them. They do very well. And there are articles stating that Roundup can be harmful , not saying that no one should use it though.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
AHBD":afkgz3wd said:
O.P , I have friends that have yearly gardens and NEVER use a drop of any chemical in them. They do very well. And there are articles stating that Roundup can be harmful , not saying that no one should use it though.
Op was asking if it would be safe to start a garden where weeds have been sprayed in the past. Like I was saying most herbicides that the common homeowner can get , have little to no residual. So in short, yes you can. Controlled pesticides like Hyvar, Crovar, and Atrex are the ones to worry about but I doubt those were used . Personally I would never use any of them in an existing garden because they are hard to control and are not particular about what they kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom