Baby bearded dragon growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmilyT

Hello, i got a bearded dragon 1 month ago. She is 8 inches now and has only grown one inch in that time. Her behavior is starting to worry me a bit. I am very new to reptile care so i could be over reacting. Im going to list my concerns:

Her whole bodies coloration changes with her moods, sometimes when i come home from work shes almost completely black.

She doesnt eat her vegetables (i often feed her peppers)

She doesnt seem interested in drinking.

She hates baths

She doesnt have noticeable fat pads on her head

Though her tank is usually around 98-105° She keeps hanging out on the colder side of her tank.

She often hugs the glass in her tank even when shes cold.

She has been acting defensively lately.

Today she refused to eat at all. (I usually feed her live crickets)

I have noticed a few times she had only produced urinate

Yesterday she had poop that was a little runnier than normal but not much.

Because she is refusing water she is a little wrinkly right now and she does seem thinner because she isnt eating.

Im not sure if any of that is normal or abnormal but im a little worried about her behavior. It seems like she wants to brumate but i really dont think shes ready for that. Please help me, i love her a lot and i want her to be healthy :(

Set up:
I have a 40 gallon tank with 3 sides of the tank covered with non adhesive shelf liner. I have a 150watt basking lamp and also a 26 watt uvb bulb both from thrive. I plan on adding a live basil plant in her tank soon to try to get her to eat her greens. She does have a small heating pad where she hangs out usually at night. I dont use a night lamp anymore because i thought it was keeping her up but the tank gets to around 70° at night. I use an electric probe thermometer. Also the only effective drinking she has done was from misting so i have been misting her but only if she will have her basking lamp on for a long period of time. I do sprinkle all of her food with calcium powder because she doesnt eat much (usually 4-6 large crickets 2-3 times a day).

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
I'm no expert here but what I can say is get rid of the UVB bulb. Get a UVB hood with a tube bulb. I use a Reptisun T5 high output 10.0. Seems to work well for me.

Is it just her beard that turns black or her whole body? Can you post a pick?

What type of substrate is she on? If she's a baby and on loose substrate that could be an issue.

What type of thermometer are you using a digital or one of those stick on dials? The dials are pretty inaccurate.

What is your humidity at? Beardies like low humidity.

Some really hate baths so don't worry too much there and they rarely drink from a water bowl. Mist her veggies down and she'll get the water she needs (assuming she starts eating). And some won't eat every day.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post a pic of the tank --- and please get rid of the 26 watt thrive bulb--- if your going to use a coil even tho I do not recommend them you need to go w/ a Reptisun 26 watt it needs to be unobstructed and 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor in a reflective dome ---- as mentioned earlier a tube fixture like this is recommended https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 24" for a 40+ gallon tank it comes w/ a 5.0 bulb it can be used as a back up but distance and placement in the tank would be different - please get this bulb
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html 22" bulb or this one they are both real good bulbs and one of the best on the market at this time
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-12-uvb-t5-reptile-bulb.html
It sounds like your dragon is not getting enough heat but we need accurate basking temps and those are taken w/ a digital probe thermometer https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-digital-thermometer.html place the probe on the place where she sits to bask wait 10 min or so get temp
These things need to be fixed ASAP--- the most important things in the tank are the basking temps and UVB --------- NO colored bulbs please --- the lights and temps control the over all health and behavior of your dragon -- once you get those fixed everything else will fall into place but you must have the correct lighting and temps in the tank --- basking for a baby 105-110 middle of tank 90's and cool side of the tank 80's --- nothing below 65 at nite or over 75 --- they like cool and dark
Karrie

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
EmilyT":2vzcmhyx said:
KarrieRee":2vzcmhyx said:
Please post a pic of the tank
how exactly do i post a picture that on this website? I am on my iphone.
Bar at the top of the screen select User Image Uploader. Once you have the image uploaded use the XIMG button on the post screen to select the image and post it.

EmilyT

Original Poster
110031-749346186.jpg
110031-6722643366.jpg
those two where her last night, fairly light in color.
110031-2521037394.jpg
110031-3023981047.jpg
these were this morning but only after i turned on her lights. She has completely returned to normal after i help her for about 5 minutes.
110031-1610381645.jpg
here is my tank set up, it does have a proper temperature gradient but i di struggle to get her basking spot over 105 at times.
110031-8688593488.jpg
she is almost always laying right here like this when she turns dark.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the UVB bulb needs to be replaced w/ the Reptisun 26 watt if your keeping it and that screen needs to come off or moved over so it can be lowered to approx 6-8 inches from the basking decor piece directly over it --- as of now shes not getting any UVB --- which is not good-- or replace the coil w/ the bulbs I posted and fixture -- not sure why the turning dark color unless shes trying to absorb heat which they do turn dark -- please get a temp of the tank in the morning before lights go on - you need gauges for temps in the tank -- digital probe like I posted earlier - if shes turning dark in the morning under the lights when you first turn them shes trying to warm up -- your tank needs to be 65-75 in the nite --- any cooler you will need to get a CHE ceramic heat emitter I would get a 100 watt it will need a deep dome w/ a ceramic socket and set it on the top of the tank in the middle it should keep the whole tank pretty much around 70 or so I am thinking -- she has a lot of stress marks going on her belly-- she will get those w/ improper temps and UVB --- they will fade as she acclimates to the tank and surroundings but you need those basking temps and good UVB to get them down - its normal for them to have them when you first get them but as they acclimate to the tank etc her eating will pick up and marks will go away but everything needs to fall into place like the basking temps and UVB first fixed -- I can help w/ her diet and websites for insects and worms etc---

EmilyT

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2fa53p4b said:
Ok so the UVB bulb needs to be replaced w/ the Reptisun 26 watt if your keeping it and that screen needs to come off or moved over so it can be lowered to approx 6-8 inches from the basking decor piece directly over it --- as of now shes not getting any UVB --- which is not good-- or replace the coil w/ the bulbs I posted and fixture -- not sure why the turning dark color unless shes trying to absorb heat which they do turn dark -- please get a temp of the tank in the morning before lights go on - you need gauges for temps in the tank -- digital probe like I posted earlier - if shes turning dark in the morning under the lights when you first turn them shes trying to warm up -- your tank needs to be 65-75 in the nite --- any cooler you will need to get a CHE ceramic heat emitter I would get a 100 watt it will need a deep dome w/ a ceramic socket and set it on the top of the tank in the middle it should keep the whole tank pretty much around 70 or so I am thinking -- she has a lot of stress marks going on her belly-- she will get those w/ improper temps and UVB --- they will fade as she acclimates to the tank and surroundings but you need those basking temps and good UVB to get them down - its normal for them to have them when you first get them but as they acclimate to the tank etc her eating will pick up and marks will go away but everything needs to fall into place like the basking temps and UVB first fixed -- I can help w/ her diet and websites for insects and worms etc---

As is, her basking bulb is over the basking spot. Im a little confused should i switch where i have the basking and uvb lamps? Also i measured the distance of the lamp and its about 8 inches away from the top of the basking spot.

When i wake up my tank is almost always 70-72°

Are there any uvb bulbs that work properly but are able to be in a dome lamp? I dont currently have a tube lamp.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Reptisun 26 watt --- you need more basking decor in the tank please -- I dont recommend the coils --- to many health issues -- I posted websites for the 24" fixture and the bulbs you need -- the UVB sitting on top of the mesh is not going to work for the UVB she needs --- shes getting none so to speak --- at this point your basking spot is all shes getting and I dont know what that temp is ?? this temp your getting in the morning 70-72° how are you getting that temp? Please get the UVB in order and your temps in the tank -- she will not survive w/ out these things fixed

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Is that a heat pad in the front corner there? If so I'd consider getting rid of that as they can burn themselves on it I believe.

EmilyT

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1dqn3wcl said:
Reptisun 26 watt --- you need more basking decor in the tank please -- I dont recommend the coils --- to many health issues -- I posted websites for the 24" fixture and the bulbs you need -- the UVB sitting on top of the mesh is not going to work for the UVB she needs --- shes getting none so to speak --- at this point your basking spot is all shes getting and I dont know what that temp is ?? this temp your getting in the morning 70-72° how are you getting that temp? Please get the UVB in order and your temps in the tank -- she will not survive w/ out these things fixed

Her tank is typically around 103° In her basking spot. It has been 70-72° in the morning. I use a digital probe thermometer. Her cool side of the tank is in the 80s during the day. Again i use a digital probe thermometer to find this temperature. I will be looking for more basking decor. Until i get a new uvb how can i help the uvb rays reach her?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I recommend a lamp stand from petsmart like this IF your keeping the coil --- if your not keeping the coil I would not bother but get the fixture ordered ASAP--- https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/zoo-med-reptile-lamp-stand-14886.html?cgid=500202 or use clamps that clamp to the side of the tank -- it needs to be approx 6-8 inches above the basking decor piece---
that Thrive bulb is "junk" that your using now --- she can go w/ out for a few days but it must be ordered immediately if your switching to the long tube fixture
I dont know if the petstores carry the Reptisun 26 watt where you live if you plan on keeping the coils DO not buy a Reptisun 13 watt -- they are the worst!! Is that a heat pad in the front corner there? If so I'd consider getting rid of that as they can burn themselves on it I believe--yes please get rid of this if that is what it is especially w/ her sitting in a water dish --- the runny stools and the defensive behavior all relate to the lighting in the tank and the not eating etc --- along w/ relocation stress as well they are all connected

EmilyT

Original Poster
KarrieRee":tgjk8f3h said:
I recommend a lamp stand from petsmart like this IF your keeping the coil --- if your not keeping the coil I would not bother but get the fixture ordered ASAP--- https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/zoo-med-reptile-lamp-stand-14886.html?cgid=500202 or use clamps that clamp to the side of the tank -- it needs to be approx 6-8 inches above the basking decor piece---
that Thrive bulb is "junk" that your using now --- she can go w/ out for a few days but it must be ordered immediately if your switching to the long tube fixture
I dont know if the petstores carry the Reptisun 26 watt where you live if you plan on keeping the coils DO not buy a Reptisun 13 watt -- they are the worst!! Is that a heat pad in the front corner there? If so I'd consider getting rid of that as they can burn themselves on it I believe--yes please get rid of this if that is what it is especially w/ her sitting in a water dish --- the runny stools and the defensive behavior all relate to the lighting in the tank and the not eating etc --- along w/ relocation stress as well they are all connected

For the tube light, the hood that you recommended came with a light, would i be able to use that for a while until i can get a different tube light? I lost my job a few weeks ago from covid and money is tight. I really care about her and i want to make sure that shes healthy and will live a long life, this situation is just tough. I am currently looking for a new job, i had three interviews but all of them gave me interviews without telling me that the positions were unavailable. I hope to have a job soon so i can afford another light. Also that dish that she was sitting in isnt a water dish its an empty dish i left in there because she seems to like hanging out in it. And yes that is a heat pad, i had been recommended to use that so she has some heat at night. Im going to leave the thermometer probe on the heat pad for the pad stopped heating at 107° is this too hot?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry to hear about your job, things have been rough for a lot of people I know!
Your heating pad heats up to 107? Do you have it on low & do you place your dragon
on the heating pad? If so, 107 would be too hot.
If you are going to use a heating pad, be sure it is on low & that you have a towel in
between your dragon & the pad to keep it from getting too hot.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom