What are the names of your beardies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martadragon017

Hatchling Member
My beardie's name is Marta because the Russian word for March is "Mart" and I got her in March. It was a bit of a last-minute decision, I was originally going to get a boy and name him Aspen but at the last moment something happened and I got Marta instead. Thinking back I could have named her Aspen, but it felt wrong giving two beardies the same name - even if the first one wasn't going to keep it lol

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Very interesting stories about how people picked the names for their beardies, and what they hoped to name them or what they have planned for the future. :)

Always nice to have a gender-neutral name, just in case someone makes a mistake and then finds out later that they have a girl instead of a boy or vice versa. :?:

We had Puff's gender right from the time we got him, so no worries. The name would have probably been ok for a girl if it turned out to be otherwise, except that Puff the Magic Dragon in the song was a "he." :wink:

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
This is a fun topic! Here’s the names of all the beardies I’ve owned and the ones I currently own, and the origin of their names. (And a pre-warning, 95% of them are based off of comic book characters.)

My first dragon, was named Cisco after Cisco Ramone from the flash, as he was my favorite character. That was when we thought she was a he, but when we discovered Cisco was female, the name kept.

My second ever dragon, was named Thor, after Thor from Marvel. He was a weak little thing so we wanted to give him a nice strong name to grow into. Cisco and Thor were great dragons. ❤️

Then we have Daisy, My mom named her, I think she named Daisy after Daisy from the character Quake (the character’s actual name was Daisy so yea) in the show Marvel’s agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. And plus it’s just a sweet name. :)

Then there’s Loki, Pretty simple. He was the 2nd male dragon we got so we named him after Thor’s brother, Loki. And plus this guy already loved to escape a lot, so naming him after the slippery Loki seemed to be a good fit.

Then there’s My boi Rocket, he was a early birthday gift from my mom a bit after Cisco passed. I named him after Rocket raccoon from Guardians of the Galaxy.

Then Phoenix, My mom and I named her after Dark Phoenix from the X-men movies, as Phoenix had quite the explosive attitude at first. And plus her pattern looks like fire.

And Finally Mulder, I named him after Fox Mulder from he X-Files as I’d recently finished watching that show when we got him and it’s one of my favorites. :)

And this year I briefly dragons at one of my church member’s baby dragons for a few months. His name is Eustice but since he was so incredibly smol I called him Tiny for ease, because he was T I N Y.

Figured I might as well also include the names and origins of my other reptiles just for fun. :)

Gizmo the crested gecko: I actually don’t know why I named her Gizmo, I think I was just fascinated by how cute and dumb she looked, (cresties have the look of their one brain cell is bouncing around in their heads like the windows screensavers). So I just called her this weird little Gizmo thing, So yeah she’s Gizmo.

Ruby my first ball python: My dad and I are huge nerds, my dad does coding so we named her after the coding Language Ruby, as there’s also a coding language called Python... Soo yeah.

Sebastian the Leopard gecko: I named him Sebastian after One of my favorite characters, Sebastian Michaelis from the anime Black Butler.

Wilson the ball python: I named this little dude after Wilson J. Thornton, A.k.a Warf. He’s my favorite dungeons and dragons character to play. The character Wilson is known for his fabulous pink handlebar mustache, and Wilson has some markings on his mouth that looks like a mustache, so that’s how he got the name.

And that’s all my animals, sorry if I over-explained. :lol:

saraho

Hatchling Member
Martadragon017":33fwi7vy said:
My beardie's name is Marta because the Russian word for March is "Mart" and I got her in March. It was a bit of a last-minute decision, I was originally going to get a boy and name him Aspen but at the last moment something happened and I got Marta instead. Thinking back I could have named her Aspen, but it felt wrong giving two beardies the same name - even if the first one wasn't going to keep it lol

This is totally off topic, but I just learned that March 1st is Baba Marta Day in Bulgaria. It's a grandmother named Marta who sweeps away winter with her broom. It's such a great tradition.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
It's fun to name your beardies and other pets after comic book or movie characters, especially if they have some sort of trait that reminds you of the character.

My father in law (a wildlife biologist) also had a way of naming his pets after the scientific names of their genus and species. If I had followed that tradition, our beardie's name would have been "Pogo" or "Pogona" for a girl. Not too creative, but my husband started calling him "Puff" from the get-go, so I didn't argue for any other name, since I couldn't think of anything better besides the genus. He's Puff now, although I sometimes call him "little guy." He's 8 years old and still a little on the small side of normal for an adult, 17-18 inches from nose to tail tip and just under 500 grams.

Since we're talking about others besides beardies, our corn snake was named "Squirmles" (my idea). A gender neutral name until we found out which it was, and at first they spelled it "Squirmeles" at the vet, but when we found out he was a boy, I corrected them on the spelling so it didn't sound more like a girl. He was our fist reptile and we got him when he was a baby, so he was lucky to survive our inexperience and we had him for 15 years. He died when I was 60 :cry: so for a fourth of my life, as my husband pointed out. Both the snake and the beardie have been members of our family. :love5:

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Aww, I’m sorry to hear about Squirmles! He probably was a great snake. :)
I unfortunately lost Ruby last year due to her being a wild caught baby, that the rescue place didn’t tell us about. She just never grew and eventually died one night. I found her when I went to feed her one night. :cry: Losing any pet is very hard. Cisco, Thor, and Ruby are still my special babies up in heaven. ?

I’ve been keeping reptiles for almost 4 years now, ever since I was 10, and finally convinced my parents to let me get Cisco shortly after we moved, man I was a crappy owner at first, doing everything wrong and being horribly misinformed up until I found this site and turned everything around. My pack has since then grown dramatically, and my life has been the most amazing, scaly and snuggly life ever with my crew of little scaly hooligans. :D

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, Squirmles was a sweet little thing, unless, of course, he was really hungry and you dangled a mouse in front of him. :wink: Scarfed it right up -- usually -- and all kinds of worry when he didn't.

Books and research only take you so far when you get a new reptile -- nothing works as well as experience. I read some good books on the proper care and feeding of snakes before we got Squirmles and on the proper care of feeding of bearded dragons before we got Puff, and we managed to avoid some of the worst mistakes we'd made with Squirmles when we got Puff. Namely, have the enclosure all set up and make sure you have the environmental conditions right (temperatures, etc) BEFORE you bring the critter home and put him in it; Get an adult, not a baby, for your first one; and last but not least, don't get duct tape anywhere near your reptile (long story). After surviving all that with eventually only a small scar, I probably should have changed his name to "Lucky." :roll:

I also discovered one other thing about them: Squirmles didn't read the snake books and Puff didn't read the bearded dragon books. :?

Pancake and Quagmire, but those aren't what either started with. A few days into having each one, their names were changed to reflect their dominant behavior at the time. She was originally Falkor but, considering her tiny baby self used to flatten at the drop of a hat, Pancake seemed more fitting. Quagmire was originally Waffle because I'm a dork like that lol but Waffle just didn't suit him at all. I'm sure you can probably work out the behaviors that earned him his name.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
My current two are 2 yrs old ( supposedly siblings ) .

Caesar & Cleopatra.

Before them I had Puff my big male and his sister Rex.

Mine is named Toothless from how to train your dragon. Every time we watch it he gets confused and runs around to try to figure out who is calling him.

dave93245

I named my Dragon Jim after Jim Morrison the musician vocalist of the Doors his nick name was the lizard king from a poem he wrote. Jim is 16 inches 283g this week and about 5 months old and in great health.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Sounds like Jim is getting good care and growing nicely. :D

"Puff" (that's the name of our beardie) and "Toothless" seem to be common beardie names -- I think there have been several of each of those on here. I love those "How to train your dragon" movies, and that's so funny how yours thinks someone is calling him when you watch the movie. :lol:

...And I see we have a hobbit fan (Smaug). Me too. I lived in Middle-earth all the way through high school :wink: in the 70's. Loved the books a long time before they made the movies. :mrgreen:

BTW, I'm glad to see you're still around here, kingofnobbys. Me not so much lately. And glad to hear that you still have some beardies, because I know that Caesar & Cleopatra will get excellent care. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom