Not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

averymom

I have kind of a stupid question, I know each beardy is different just like every snake is different my son has a bearded dragon who has stopped eating.I have even gone as far as hand feeding her ( not blender/Syringe feed her) but tweeser feeding her and she eats 2 wax worms and then acts done. I keep comparing her to my ball pythons and i know that she isn't that... but its all i have to refer to. I know that they go into brumation this time of the year and so I am wondering if that is the cause of her not eating. I have tried to look in her mouth to check for mouth rot ( also like snake) I just have noticed she goes to eat gets the mealworm on her tongue draws it in bites it and then spits it out like she is playing with her food. Is this normal? Or is something i need to keep an eye on? Do i need to start blender/ syringe feed her like i have done with my balls pythons? Any kind of advice would be good.... Thank you

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How old is she? Young dragons tend to eat more than older ones, but they are all a bit cyclical. I would keep track of her weight and keep a log. If her weight is stable she is probably OK, but if she is losing weight then there may be an underlying issue. Spitting food out usually means they don't like the taste or aren't in the mood for that feeder. If you want to post photos of her you can upload them here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

Moved by moderator from Off Topic to Feeding.

averymom

Original Poster
I was thinking maybe she was in brumation she is roughly a year I got her from my friends son so honestly I don't know. I was told that they do this in brumation I will see if i can get pictures of her

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Brumation at that age is possible. They tend to eat less and act groggy and sleepy for a while. Pay close attention to weight during this time, as that will remain fairly stable since their metabolism is slowed way down.

averymom

Original Poster
Okay thank you so much I am worried about her but as I stated i don't know much about bearded dragons.. If it was a snake i would be all over it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom