baby beardie barely eating? - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zirnyheld

hi everyone! i’m new to the site & new to beardie mom life.

i got my little guy bumi a week ago exactly, and he’s about 5 weeks old. when i first got him, he was pretty chill save for some glass surfing. he’s since become very energetic, running around his terrarium and making lots of head and arm movements.

but he is barely eating!!! some days he’ll eat 3-4 crickets, others hardly anything at all. petsmart (i know, i know) was only feeding him once every other day and i’m hoping that he’s maybe just on that crappy schedule.

i’ve also noticed he’s been getting dark spots on his belly and chin...he was sleeping in my hand and on my shoulder but now it feels as though i stress him out. i just want the little guy to survive!! his weight today was 5.9 grams.

he’s at a good 105 degrees F on his basking rock and 85 on the cool side, humidity between 20 and 30%. he’s liked chasing after the crickets when he does eat.

i just am so nervous i’m gonna do wrong by my little boy! please help!!!

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Can you go over the set up? Lights used? Brands? How do you take temps? What size is the enclosure?

zirnyheld

Original Poster
destiny1998":37g1smoh said:
Hi. Can you go over the set up? Lights used? Brands? How do you take temps? What size is the enclosure?

sure! he’s currently in a 10 gal until i get paid next friday lol :p i use a 100 watt uvb light that’s clamped right above his basking spot. that is always on during the day & keeps the highest point at 108 degrees F max. i measure both the cool and hot sides with a digital thermometer w/ probe.

i usually give him an extra 50 watt during the day, same kind of bulb, since it’s winter. i use a nighttime heat bulb that keeps the side it’s on at 95 degrees F max. all brands are thrive + exoterra because it’s what’s most accessible at the moment.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Wow for a 10 gallon tank a 100 watt is alot- that temp your getting is on the basking decor-- nite temps are too warm - dragons like it cool and dark-they should be between 65 - 75---No night time colored bulbs please- you mentioned no UVB this is crucial! If you have a coil and are upgrading next week you need a long tube fixture-- coils are inadequate-- he's going thru relocation stress so his eating will be off and he's eating something-that is good but in order to keep him in good health and eating you need good UVB and correct basking temps- he needs to be fed everyday salads and his staple feeder like crickets BSFL or dubia roaches-- I am concerned about that 100 watt bulb for a 10 gallon tank--- the stress marks could be from temps being too hot uvb incorrect and relocation
Karrie

zirnyheld

Original Poster
KarrieRee":151pt7bo said:
Wow for a 10 gallon tank a 100 watt is alot- that temp your getting is on the basking decor-- nite temps are too warm - dragons like it cool and dark-they should be between 65 - 75---No night time colored bulbs please- you mentioned no UVB this is crucial! If you have a coil and are upgrading next week you need a long tube fixture-- coils are inadequate-- he's going thru relocation stress so his eating will be off and he's eating something-that is good but in order to keep him in good health and eating you need good UVB and correct basking temps- he needs to be fed everyday salads and his staple feeder like crickets BSFL or dubia roaches-- I am concerned about that 100 watt bulb for a 10 gallon tank--- the stress marks could be from temps being too hot uvb incorrect and relocation
Karrie

thank you! overkill for sure because i’m so scared he’ll get too cold in my old house this winter. it has a dimmer so i’ll turn it down until i get a bigger tank.

if i have a tube light, what’s the best way to fasten inside the tank? i don’t want to melt anything!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
A tube fixture will not be able to go inside the 10 gallon tank --- its too small -- the 40 gallon tank yes - depending on what you have for a screen on the 40 gallon and what bulb you get the T 5 or T 8 a T 5 can sit on top of the screen but it must be a wide hole screen - not like a fine mesh like a screen door- either way I recommend a 24" fixture w/ reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb - the fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb which would be perfect for now for the 10 gallon tank - you can then switch the bulb to a 10.0 T 5 bulb when you get the new tank --
You can look on line go here https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 24" I would get this ordered today --- these people are fast and good they ship Fed Ex-- they also sell out of this fixture and bulbs quickly their shipping is pretty cheap and w/ Xmas its hard to say now --- but try them and see -- you can always call as well and talk to them --
this bulb as well https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html 22" - this would be the bulb for the 40 gallon tank -- use the 5.0 in the fixture for your 10 gallon
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom