Dig/ Burrow Box??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munchykin

Hello!
My beardie has been with me for almost a year now. Several times, maybe once a week or so, he tries to burrow in his enclosure. It’s super cute but he can’t go anywhere and seems a little upset about that. I want to possibly get him a dig box that he could sleep in if he wanted to? He is a male so it’s not for laying but what substrate should I use? I’ve seen some with coconut fiber but I’d rather not use that if possible, it irritates my skin. Thoughts? If it would be a hazard please let me know and I will absolutely not do it.
Thank you ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
When people build dig boxes for dragons who need to lay eggs, it's usually a mixture of damp play sand and topsoil. That can get pretty messy though, even if you have it set up in a bin outside of the main enclosure. A full bioactive enclosure would allow for digging, but they take quite a bit of effort to get set up properly and need plenty of space to allow for drainage and soil layers. The best thing I've found for most enclosures is to use fleece scraps or small fleece blankets that you can put in a pile on the floor of the enclosure. It allows them to burrow, doesn't get caught on their nails, and is easy to clean by throwing any dirty pieces in the washer. My guy likes to burrow down into a couple of fleece blankets when he goes to sleep at night and it works well for him.

Moved by moderator from General Discussion to Enclosures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom