Jurassic Natural Australian Substrate

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Jurassic Natural Australian Substrate

Postby KamataKun » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:07 am

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostor ... on-habitat

Has anyone here tried this with their beardies? It's substrate taken directly from central Australia and boasts about being the most natural substrate since it's from where the beardies live. I hear it's selling at Petco now, and I would like insight before I buy it and use it for my future beardie.
KamataKun
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:54 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Jurassic Natural Australian Substrate

Postby Claudiusx » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:12 am

More like Jurassic rip off!

20 lbs for 40 bucks. You can get a 50lb bag of play sand from home depot for less than 5 dollars.

I promise you, there is nothing in that bag of sand that will give your dragon any more benefit or any more risk than the 5 dollar bags of playsand you can get at any home improvement store.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
User avatar
Claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 19543
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: Jurassic Natural Australian Substrate

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:11 am

Nope ….

And wont.

I've seen the stuff and wasn't impressed.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : , Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Gutzy (F) rescued 27Sep19 - RIP 3Aug20 (est 12 yo), Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 12673
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 10:56 pm

Re: Jurassic Natural Australian Substrate

Postby Wickedpogana » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:28 pm

Claudiusx wrote:More like Jurassic rip off!

20 lbs for 40 bucks. You can get a 50lb bag of play sand from home depot for less than 5 dollars.

I promise you, there is nothing in that bag of sand that will give your dragon any more benefit or any more risk than the 5 dollar bags of playsand you can get at any home improvement store.

-Brandon

They sold this for 10lbs for 14$ on Amazon . Its soil from Australia not a RIP off when playsand can cause cancer from crystalline this is one of the best substrates . ReptiFiles itself have reviewed it
Image
User avatar
Wickedpogana
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:00 am
Location: Cleveland OHIO - You Can take a Beardie out of the Wild but you cant take the wild out of a Beardie

Re: Jurassic Natural Australian Substrate

Postby Claudiusx » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:38 pm

Wickedpogana wrote:playsand can cause cancer from crystalline

You are mistaken. Mainly because crystalline is an adjective, not a noun. Therefor it can't cause cancer anymore than "quick" or "loud" can cause cancer.

It is a rip off. There is nothing in that bag of sand that is going to give more benefit than any other bag of sand. So why pay 20x more money for the same thing?

Unless you can explain in better detail why you think this bag of australian sand has any benefit?

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
User avatar
Claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 19543
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Jurassic Natural Australian Substrate

Postby Wickedpogana » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:28 pm

Claudiusx wrote:
Wickedpogana wrote:playsand can cause cancer from crystalline

You are mistaken. Mainly because crystalline is an adjective, not a noun. Therefor it can't cause cancer anymore than "quick" or "loud" can cause cancer.

It is a rip off. There is nothing in that bag of sand that is going to give more benefit than any other bag of sand. So why pay 20x more money for the same thing?

Unless you can explain in better detail why you think this bag of australian sand has any benefit?

-Brandon

Crystalline silica dust is known to cause cancer when worked with and will when your living on it and breathing it in and licking it all the time and playsand is pretty much washed or bleached crystalline silica . Some sand is toxic like calcium sand so yeah some sand can be good some can be bad this happens to be the best .
Image
User avatar
Wickedpogana
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:00 am
Location: Cleveland OHIO - You Can take a Beardie out of the Wild but you cant take the wild out of a Beardie

Re: Jurassic Natural Australian Substrate

Postby HippieLizards » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:28 pm

Wickedpogana wrote:
Claudiusx wrote:
Wickedpogana wrote:playsand can cause cancer from crystalline

You are mistaken. Mainly because crystalline is an adjective, not a noun. Therefor it can't cause cancer anymore than "quick" or "loud" can cause cancer.

It is a rip off. There is nothing in that bag of sand that is going to give more benefit than any other bag of sand. So why pay 20x more money for the same thing?

Unless you can explain in better detail why you think this bag of australian sand has any benefit?

-Brandon

Crystalline silica dust is known to cause cancer when worked with and will when your living on it and breathing it in and licking it all the time and playsand is pretty much washed or bleached crystalline silica . Some sand is toxic like calcium sand so yeah some sand can be good some can be bad this happens to be the best .
Bad sand, good sand, best sand, whatever. I wouldn’t trust it, the risks of most sand outweigh any positives.

Even if it does encourage them to dig and stuff, there’s many alternatives to that.
Slave and Personal janitor to Five Beardies, one Crested gecko, a Cat, and a Ball python. (R.I.P my precious Thor, Cisco, & Ruby. You three will always be in our hearts).
User avatar
HippieLizards
Gray-bearded Poster
 
Posts: 1790
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:03 am
Location: South of Neptune, Hidden away in my magical dragon lair.

Re: Jurassic Natural Australian Substrate

Postby reereejugs » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:23 pm

I checked it out online for a bit, but I consider it far too expensive for what it supposedly is. I lean toward skeptical when it comes to product claims, and wouldn't doubt it if the substrate in those bags don't originate from anywhere near Australia.

Hmm.....an old buddy of mine I met back in high school when he was a foreign exchange student is Australian. Now I'm thinking about trying to talk him into going out to OG Pogona Vitticeps turf with a shovel and mailing me a large box of sand/dirt/whatever he digs up 🤣.
reereejugs
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:04 pm

Re: Jurassic Natural Australian Substrate

Postby MissCutiePatootie » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:59 am

KamataKun wrote:https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/jurassic-natural-australian-desert-dragon-habitat

Has anyone here tried this with their beardies? It's substrate taken directly from central Australia and boasts about being the most natural substrate since it's from where the beardies live. I hear it's selling at Petco now, and I would like insight before I buy it and use it for my future beardie.



I think it's a very cool idea for enrichment for a healthy beardie. It's expensive yes. But if it's worth it to you then why not! However, I would hold out until your dragon is fully grown before using loose substrate. Young dragons intestines have more curves making it more difficult for things to pass through until they are larger in case they did happen to eat some. It's better to be on the safe side first and then open up to it when the dragon is appropriately sized. If this is something that really interests you, check out these links!

Reptifiles review on this particular sand:
https://reptifiles.com/product-review-j ... n-habitat/

Reptifiles take on impaction and causes, along with talk about animal welfare. Has a video if you prefer to watch rather than read!
https://reptifiles.com/does-loose-subst ... impaction/

Reptifiles tips for decorating/enriching your dragons enclosure:
https://reptifiles.com/bearded-dragon-c ... roommates/

An article about what, how and why environmental enrichment is so important for our pets!
https://rainbowsnakes.tumblr.com/post/1 ... hy-and-how

I hope that helps you make a decision. :)
Image
User avatar
MissCutiePatootie
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:52 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Enclosures

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users