What should I ask and look out for at a reptile expo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pennyyratt

Hi! Since the passing of Ezekiel I've been looking for a juvenile or an adult. Right now I'm leaning towards rescuing a male 1.5 year old from a rescue nearby, and they'll be at the expo so I'll also see lots of other beardies. My mother cares for two adult beardies that she rescued from Craigslist awhile ago.

What are some questions I should ask and look out for body language and response wise. I've had a terrible time so far caring for babies and I want a good beardie that will be able to thrive.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
I'm sure others will jump in on this, but my first caution is that at an expo, the beardies will probably be a little bit stressed from being out of their normal homes. That said, look for these things:

- bright eyed and alert, pays attention to you and its surroundings
- eyes not sunken in (this can be a sign of ill health or dehydration)
- healthy weight / doesn't look thin or (heaven forbid) emaciated OR bloated and "squishy"
- toes, tail, and limbs that don't shake or tremble, no broken toes/ tail tips
- tail base that is well-fleshed; you shouldn't be able to see the hip bones
- possibly see if the dragon will eat; a good, strong feeding response is a good thing
- clean vent area/ no signs of diahreah (sp?) or loose poops.

Avoid a dragon that demonstrates aggression or fear... blackbeards at you, lunges and tries to nip, etc.

Good luck!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would ask about the husbandry the dragons have been kept in--- like UVB lights - basking temps- look for discolored skin / scales -- is one smaller than the others - could be a runt etc--- I took the runt from the breeder when I got Blaze he was being picked not getting enough to eat etc and now hes a big boy -- I am sorry to hear about Ezekiel -- the two most important things in the tank are basking temps and UVB -- and I am talking about NO coils -- your UVB should be a long tube fixture -- the most important time for a baby is that first year - it gives them a solid foundation for growth and health w/ the proper basking temps and UVB -- but it must be maintained as well past the year old age too -- but the first year to me is the most important -- some others on here can chime in on this too --
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Penny, I agree with a lot of the good tips that were already given It should be fairly alert and it's also good to check under the tail to see that it's not stained with poo which would indicate possible diarrhea or just being kept in bad conditions. That isn't always a sign of bad health but is something to consider. A few nipped or missing toes or even bit of tail is O.K as long as you can see that they are old wounds that are totally healed. Hopefully you'll get a nice dragon. Keep in mind that even dragon from seemingly healthy stock can develop problems but if you follow these tips you have a better chance of getting a healthy one. Best wishes to you !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom