Testing uvb output

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Testing uvb output

Postby Staygold » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:42 pm

I am assuming anything to do with UVB would be included in lighting in the enclosure, if not I'm sorry I put this in the wrong spot.

I ordered tekizoo UVB sensor cards to test her UVB lights to see if they are still working. I am wondering if anybody has any information on whether or not these things work.

I was also looking up UVB metres, and came across light metres and Lux metres. Are these the same thing as UVB metres? If not, can anyone suggest a uvb meter that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
Staygold
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Testing uvb output

Postby CooperDragon » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:16 pm

The cards (from what I've seen) wind up measuring UVA and aren't useful for measuring UVB. The only good option that I'm aware of for measuring UVB is a Solarmeter. The 6.2 measures UVB flux directly and the 6.5 measures UV Index which is useful for comparing output between bulbs and against sunlight. I have a 6.5 and it works well. They do cost around $200 most of the time though.
CooperDragon

Postby cliffhangerreptiles » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:48 pm

Cooper is right. The cards are designed for UVA, and the UVA meters are several hundred dollars. We have one since we have to test so many bulbs. For the most part, if you change the bulb every six months you should be fine.

Cheers,
Blake M
Breeder
--
Cliffhanger Reptiles
https://www.cliffhangerreptiles.com/
cliffhangerreptiles
Newbie Poster

Postby Staygold » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:00 pm

CooperDragon wrote:The cards (from what I've seen) wind up measuring UVA and aren't useful for measuring UVB. The only good option that I'm aware of for measuring UVB is a Solarmeter. The 6.2 measures UVB flux directly and the 6.5 measures UV Index which is useful for comparing output between bulbs and against sunlight. I have a 6.5 and it works well. They do cost around $200 most of the time though.

Ok. Thank you. I saw those ones but they are a little on the pricey side for me.
Staygold
Hatchling Poster

Postby Staygold » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:01 pm

cliffhangerreptiles wrote:Cooper is right. The cards are designed for UVA, and the UVA meters are several hundred dollars. We have one since we have to test so many bulbs. For the most part, if you change the bulb every six months you should be fine.

Cheers,

Thank you. I was looking at the pricing of metres because the bulbs are pretty pricey, and I would hate to be throwing them away when they are still viable.
Staygold
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures