Picky eater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatherdlx1016

Hello everyone I have a six-month-old bearded dragon and after his last full body shed he is decided that he no longer wants to eat his crickets. At the same time I did notice the last batch of crickets that I received actually started chirping in his inclosure, so I don’t know if that startled him and now he is afraid of the crickets or if he is just tired of his crickets in general. he will still take treats such as wax worms and horn worms and eat mill worms and vegetables occasionally and popping just fine. I don’t know what to do to get him to eat crickets again or how to make sure he’s not afraid of these crickets. He will grab one or two but then he’s over them. I even put a wax worm on top of a cricket and he only ate the wax worm. Any help would be much appreciated

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
try some dubia for awhile maybe he is just sick of them. then get some crickets not a lot in case he doesn't eat them, maybe he just needs some variety. Hopefully you can rotate both. My baby can be pretty picky too at times. She is like that with her BSFL sometimes she wants them sometimes she doesn't. Thats another good staple, and they are reasonably priced. Are you putting the crickets in one at a time?

Heatherdlx1016

Original Poster
I put a few in at a time as much as he’s willing to chase and grab but he’s not even wanting to chase and grab them usually he’s at the front of his terrarium banging his nose against the wall ready for them but the last few days he just doesn’t want them.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't think it's likely to be fear. Sometimes they get tired of a feeder as mentioned. My guy is almost completely ignoring roaches for the past few months, for example. They tend to go through phases like this sometimes. He will likely show interest again at some point. You can try variety as suggested. If everything else is OK and his weight is stable though, I wouldn't worry about it too much and just let him take what he wants, even if that isn't as much as usual.

Moved by moderator from General Discussion to Feeding.

Heatherdlx1016

Original Poster
Thank y’all so much. He’s my first beardy and best friends so I’ve always overly worried about him. Sad part is I’m a vet nurse so I “know” these things but since I have no personal experience I just love forums like these!

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
You can get 1000 crickets overnighted from premiumcrickets.com. $35. That’s shipping included best deal I run Across everywhere else they’re gonna want like $10 $20 $30 for shipping so I usually go this route because it has plenty in it and shipping included and you don’t have to wait. Then I like to buy my black soldier fly larva from symtonbsfl.com. Four dollars flat shipping and make sure you get the large black soldier fly are very little but high in calcium so you don’t have to dust there a favorite of mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom