Need a good substrate mix for bioactive enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reptile carpet I use now certainly works, but it's a hassle to clean and Serena doesn't seem to enjoy the texture, she's always on her hides, ledges or rocks except during feeding. I have a spare bag of eco earth that I plan to use for a dig box, but I would also like to make a bioactive enclosure. We already cultivate earthworms for composting and have plenty of wild springtails and isopods in the area (I know that wild-caught insects aren't a great idea for feeding, but they should be okay for a cleaning crew, right?) I've read, however, that eco earth isn't great for beardies due to the risk of impaction and how dusty it is, though I've used it for years with tortoises and have had no problem with it other than it sometimes getting my floor dirty. Aside from that, I've heard that peat and topsoil mix is a good option for bioactive enclosures, and even a sand and topsoil mix can be used safely provided the sand is fine and sterile.
I think a bioactive enclosure would be better for both of us, being more aesthetic and easier to clean on my part and more enriching and sanitary for her. The substrate is my only real problem, since I have decomposers and safe plants for the enclosure, but I'm conflicted on what substrate would be the best for her. I already feed her in a dish surrounded by slate so she doesn't get stains on the carpet, and she's pretty good at not getting food everywhere. Additionally, I've heard that you should only use particulate substrate on mature beardies. Just want to hear recommendations and maybe see some bioactive enclosures for an example.

Please keep in mind that using a loose substrate is certainly a risk. You're right, the reptile carpets can be a hassle. I'd recommend going with ceramic tile flooring or vinyl. This is easy to clean, and by far more safe.

Nonetheless, if you feel ready to take on the risk, The Bio Dude has some awesome products.

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
cliffhangerreptiles":36xog3n3 said:
Please keep in mind that using a loose substrate is certainly a risk. You're right, the reptile carpets can be a hassle. I'd recommend going with ceramic tile flooring or vinyl. This is easy to clean, and by far more safe.

Nonetheless, if you feel ready to take on the risk, The Bio Dude has some awesome products.
Propaganda it isn't a risk at all. Tile is way more dirty when you think environmentally and mircrobially bioactive is self cleaning down to the particles. Tile damaged joints after being on such a hard surface all the time. You eliminate all their natural behaviors which is against the animal welfare act of 2006 . Tile should never be a Permanent husbandry you should always update to what's been revelant for awhile now with beardie and that's making habitual enclosures like their natural environment

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=256315 here is my post is the best information for bioactive . Beardie can not be impacted by natural substrate they get inoacted by improper lighting and diet .its especially not ethical to keep them on vinyl or tile as you eliminate more then half of their natural behaviors and it's not right if you stand behind the animal welfare act of 2006.

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
TakoNigiri":3f1rrqc9 said:
The reptile carpet I use now certainly works, but it's a hassle to clean and Serena doesn't seem to enjoy the texture, she's always on her hides, ledges or rocks except during feeding. I have a spare bag of eco earth that I plan to use for a dig box, but I would also like to make a bioactive enclosure. We already cultivate earthworms for composting and have plenty of wild springtails and isopods in the area (I know that wild-caught insects aren't a great idea for feeding, but they should be okay for a cleaning crew, right?) I've read, however, that eco earth isn't great for beardies due to the risk of impaction and how dusty it is, though I've used it for years with tortoises and have had no problem with it other than it sometimes getting my floor dirty. Aside from that, I've heard that peat and topsoil mix is a good option for bioactive enclosures, and even a sand and topsoil mix can be used safely provided the sand is fine and sterile.
I think a bioactive enclosure would be better for both of us, being more aesthetic and easier to clean on my part and more enriching and sanitary for her. The substrate is my only real problem, since I have decomposers and safe plants for the enclosure, but I'm conflicted on what substrate would be the best for her. I already feed her in a dish surrounded by slate so she doesn't get stains on the carpet, and she's pretty good at not getting food everywhere. Additionally, I've heard that you should only use particulate substrate on mature beardies. Just want to hear recommendations and maybe see some bioactive enclosures for an example.
I've had my girl on bioactive since she was a month old and you can use Clean up crew from outside like isopods and spring tails but not earthworms. Earthworms are filled with parasites and they break down alot of inorganic waste which isn't healthy. Leave your isopods in a separate culture for 2 weeks before adding them into your enclosure and everything is dandy. Coconut fiber doesn't impact a dragon it's a pretty good substance to mix into your bio mix

dogndragonmom

Photo Comp Winner
I've had my girl on bioactive since she was a month old and you can use Clean up crew from outside like isopods and spring tails but not earthworms. Earthworms are filled with parasites and they break down alot of inorganic waste which isn't healthy. Leave your isopods in a separate culture for 2 weeks before adding them into your enclosure and everything is dandy. Coconut fiber doesn't impact a dragon it's a pretty good substance to mix into your bio mix
could you give me an idea of exactly what to buy for the substrate? I want to go bio and there is so conflicting info out there I am so confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom