Juvenile Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lee100378

My 6 year old daughter has been asking for a lizard as a pet for a long time. After much research I bought a 12 week old bearded dragon, who she has named Percy (even though we don’t know it’s sex yet). Percy is a very healthy and active lizard who all our family have really taken to. One question I have is when will he/she eat veg? All forms of fruit and veg have been refused so far, Percy’s diet is 100% live crickets. Is this normal for juveniles? He/she is 15 weeks old now and clearly growing and thriving. Should we just continue putting a veg bowl in every day until it works?

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
There are lots of ways to get a beardie to eat veggies. It's normal for them to refuse them for a while, but you should try to get them to eat it asap. I got my beardie to eat veggies by adding in some worms and colorful foods like squash and peppers. A lot of times they'll go to eat the bugs and miss, picking up a few leaves. Another thing you can try is bee pollen powder or flavored calcium (for the picky beardies :lol: ) The bee pollen powder has a strong scent that he may be attracted to, and from what I know it's also pretty nutritious. You can also try this: place a bug on a dish, have your beardie go for it, and right when his tongue comes out (you'll probably need some practice :wink: ) you drop a leaf over the bug. In the very end, if nothing works, you may need to skip a few feedings of bugs. Try experimenting with lots of colors and types of veggies. My guy loves arugula but will refuse collard greens, and loves all kinds of peppers and squash as long as it's not green in color.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Get some BSFL and a glass dish that insects and bugs cant get out of something like this https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Order some large BSFL from here also known as nutri grubs www.dubiaroaches.com -- also get some super worms medium size and add to the salads first thing in the morning in front of him -- it will get his attention to the bowl - then add the staple feeder like a hr later to the bowl if using crickets disable them by pulling a leg off so they cant get out of the bowl -- do not dust the nutri grubs they are high in calcium and good staple feeder - use as many as you want but only use 1-3 super worms -- dubia roaches work better for this and are more nutritious than crickets -- they are also less hassle and easier to care for
Karrie

lee100378":3ozu2sfc said:
My 6 year old daughter has been asking for a lizard as a pet for a long time. After much research I bought a 12 week old bearded dragon, who she has named Percy (even though we don’t know it’s sex yet). Percy is a very healthy and active lizard who all our family have really taken to. One question I have is when will he/she eat veg? All forms of fruit and veg have been refused so far, Percy’s diet is 100% live crickets. Is this normal for juveniles? He/she is 15 weeks old now and clearly growing and thriving. Should we just continue putting a veg bowl in every day until it works?
When i first got Sandstorm he refused to eat for a couple of days. He would only eat about one or two worms a day, so if you have recently got him/her, then it might just be something about getting used to it's environment. It should take about one or two weeks for it to get used to the things around it so good luck!

zachburnav":16f2nh5h said:
There are lots of ways to get a beardie to eat veggies. It's normal for them to refuse them for a while, but you should try to get them to eat it asap. I got my beardie to eat veggies by adding in some worms and colorful foods like squash and peppers. A lot of times they'll go to eat the bugs and miss, picking up a few leaves. Another thing you can try is bee pollen powder or flavored calcium (for the picky beardies :lol: ) The bee pollen powder has a strong scent that he may be attracted to, and from what I know it's also pretty nutritious. You can also try this: place a bug on a dish, have your beardie go for it, and right when his tongue comes out (you'll probably need some practice :wink: ) you drop a leaf over the bug. In the very end, if nothing works, you may need to skip a few feedings of bugs. Try experimenting with lots of colors and types of veggies. My guy loves arugula but will refuse collard greens, and loves all kinds of peppers and squash as long as it's not green in color.

This is a great explanation. Just get creative. Bearded dragons are especially attracted to the color red. You can also try to mix in some greens when they're chewing on the crickets. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom