Do Bearded Dragons Get Hyper After Brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi Everyone!

Drogon has been in a sleepy state for at least 2 months now. He wasn't fully brumating, but would sleep on and off for five days, come out to eat and bask for 2, then go back in. He's been extra picky with bugs and salad too.

Yesterday, he came out of brumating/napping, so I left him alone, but today he seemed in a good mood so I took him out. After he pooped (seems normal, not much since he hasn't been eating) he started getting hyper and running around the house, climbing behind stuff. Drogon normally always has a greyish beard (he's done this since puberty) but today his beard was black o_o

Do beardies get hyper after brumation? Why is he black bearding?
Also, tank conditions have remained the same.

Thanks
Selkie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes! My guy is still running around the house like a nut and surfing the walls of the house. They get a surge of hormones after brumation that puts them into hyper mode for a while. They don't tend to prioritize food and will often lose a bit of weight during this period which is normal due to the increased energy. Once they calm down again their appetite should come back and weight should return to normal. I see this behavior every year after Darwin comes out of brumation.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thank you for the quick reply!
I really appreciate it. I know blackbearding is a red flag, but I was sure it was just his hyper mood.
He already tired himself out and is asleep behind my husband's desk xD

Also, do they restrict how much water they're drinking? He's always been a pain with water, but seems to have no interest in it when I drip it on his nose. In fact, he closes his eyes and shakes like please stop human mom!

Selkie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah they tend to be restless and not tolerate much like having a drink. That should calm back down after a bit. Darwin doesn't have much patience for my nonsense & harassment right now either :lol:

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
1000%. My dragons will do a mini brumation for a month or two a few times a year and then BOOM, they’re all going insane. Currently, everyone except for rocket is being extremely hyper. It’s insane.

I think Rocket is starting to Brumate though, so he’s just kinda been chilling around.

But yeah, my dragons are almost always hyperactive, especially after brumation. ??‍♀️

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hi Cooper,

I wanted to reach out again and ask if Drogon's behavior is still within the realm of normal brumation behavior.
The day after he acted like a maniac, he went down into his burrow again for a couple of days. Lately, he's not truly brumating, but just napping and coming out to bask, and repeat. No real interest in food and when I sprayed his snout with water, he got annoyed.

When do dragons truly come out of this behavior? I'm just hoping nothing serious is going on:/

A worried Selkie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It varies between them really. The process happens over several months in my case. It may take several weeks for Drogon to really start to wake up for good.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
All right, I'll give it more time.
My only concern is dehydration and not getting enough nutrients, but I suppose they're used to it when brumating?

Thanks again for your help and I'll keep this updated :)
Selkie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom