Dig box, so many options, where, how big and substrate?

Staygold

Original Poster
Wickedpogana":2xng4njt said:
Staygold":2xng4njt said:
Hi, my bearded dragon glass surfs a lot and I'm planning on putting a dig box in there to see if it helps. But my research has left me with a few questions.
First, how big should the Dig box be if she is 18 in Long?
Second, does the dig box go on the hot or cool side?
Third, Which substrate is the best? Below I have listed the options I have come across or think might work. I have not listed the ones that I am not willing to use because I don't think they are good, such as ground Walnut shells, sand Etc. And I I'm wondering if anybody else has used any, and had any problems with it, or any suggestions.

1. Flaxseed: is it toxic to them? Can it cause impaction? What kind of flaxseed? I have seen pictures with a lighter flaxseed, but in real life I have only seen darker flax seeds. Hence the question for cool spot or hot side cuz I think the darker seed would get a lot warmer than the lighter ones I have seen online.
2. Soft blanket: how small of pieces and does it really act like a dig box or just a fluffy bed.
3. Bird feed: would it cause impaction? Is it toxic? Too Dusty? What if I wipe it off with a towel to get rid of the Dust.
4. Millet: is it digestible? Dusty? Cause impaction?
5. Alfalfa pellets: is it digestible? Cause impaction? Dusty?
6. Dried vegetables: would they choke on them being dry? Dusty?
7. Rice: is it digestible? Would it cause impaction? Toxic?
8. Quinoa: is it digestible? Toxic? Would it cause impaction?
9. Barley: toxic? Digestible? Would it cause impaction?
10. Dirt: toxic? Too Dusty if it dries out? Raise humidity too much if it's moist?

Any help, input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would prefer something that can't cause her eye or nose problems. Nothing toxic obviously. And no chance or very very very small chance of impaction. Thank you for any help.
You cannot house beardie on seed but a similar reptile that you can do that with is an Uromastyx. Dirt isn't toxic or dusty if your thinking of soil which I'm sure . Dried vegetables is similar to Leaf litter which is used in a bioactive set up . If using a soft blanket should be like a bed area not your substrate they like to dig maybe some rocks or something to help keep nails in check they like to hunt and eat plants aswell. I dont know why you'd suggest flaxseed . But crushed walnut shells is one of the worst things to house a reptile on even if its marketed for it
She has reptile carpet for her enclosure substrate. I was just wondering what could be used for a dig box. I did put some plants in her enclosure but watering them kept the humidity up to high. Flaxseed was an option that I had seen other people using, so was wondering if it was safe. Yes I have read Walnut shells is very bad. Thank you for the suggestions.

Staygold

Original Poster
Wickedpogana":185bng5o said:
Staygold":185bng5o said:
Wickedpogana":185bng5o said:
The best substrate to house your dragon on is fully functioning Bioactive setups . Only substrate that's ethical if you follow The Animal Welfare act of 2006. 99% of what people use for substrate suppresses all of their natural behaviors and what they have evolved to do for their posterity their mental health and their overall well being . People want a display animal but dont want to give them the tools they need to give them the display they want Offer your animal some substance to do what they would innately and instinctively naturally.
But what would be safe substrate for a dig box and not cause impaction?
Impaction isn't caused by sand or soil or rocks its cause by inadequate care . People who have beardie with impaction has their beardie under the wrong lights and a poor diet they dont provide the fundamentally correct equipment which ends in health issues. A dig box makes no sense logically just make their viv it's own living custodian ecosystem
Oh. That's the first time I've heard that. I have read many things about impaction issues from them consuming small particles that they can't Digest. So are you saying that all these particles would just go through their system if they were completely healthy? A dig box is my only option because I can't afford to change her whole setup. I got her rehomed to me and have already spent all my money on digital thermometers and new light bulbs and a new light fixture and thermostats and the list goes on. It would be nice if I could have her in something completely natural, but I just don't see that as economically feasible.

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Staygold":17mcgkus said:
Wickedpogana":17mcgkus said:
Staygold":17mcgkus said:
Wickedpogana":17mcgkus said:
The best substrate to house your dragon on is fully functioning Bioactive setups . Only substrate that's ethical if you follow The Animal Welfare act of 2006. 99% of what people use for substrate suppresses all of their natural behaviors and what they have evolved to do for their posterity their mental health and their overall well being . People want a display animal but dont want to give them the tools they need to give them the display they want Offer your animal some substance to do what they would innately and instinctively naturally.
Impaction isn't caused by sand or soil or rocks its cause by inadequate care . People who have beardie with impaction has their beardie under the wrong lights and a poor diet they dont provide the fundamentally correct equipment which ends in health issues. A dig box makes no sense logically just make their viv it's own living custodian ecosystem
Oh. That's the first time I've heard that. I have read many things about impaction issues from them consuming small particles that they can't Digest. So are you saying that all these particles would just go through their system if they were completely healthy? A dig box is my only option because I can't afford to change her whole setup. I got her rehomed to me and have already spent all my money on digital thermometers and new light bulbs and a new light fixture and thermostats and the list goes on. It would be nice if I could have her in something completely natural, but I just don't see that as economically feasible.
Yeah it will pass through. they're was a case of a beardie eating a plastic4 inch toy that was shaped like a lizard and passed it whole .

Staygold

Original Poster
Wickedpogana":2p40dr8h said:
Staygold":2p40dr8h said:
Staygold":2p40dr8h said:
Yeah it will pass through. they're was a case of a beardie eating a plastic4 inch toy that was shaped like a lizard and passed it whole .
That's crazy! I saw a video of a bearded dragon eating a mouse that was a pretty decent size and was wondering how the heck it was going to get that through there.

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
[/quote]
That's crazy! I saw a video of a bearded dragon eating a mouse that was a pretty decent size and was wondering how the heck it was going to get that through there.[/quote]
They can eat mice not that I would but they can eat snails forsure and I heard of people feeding then river shrimp which I have no idea about but they debately can eat certain species of scorpion and non toxic types if centipedes

Staygold

Original Poster
That's crazy! I saw a video of a bearded dragon eating a mouse that was a pretty decent size and was wondering how the heck it was going to get that through there.[/quote]
They can eat mice not that I would but they can eat snails forsure and I heard of people feeding then river shrimp which I have no idea about but they debately can eat certain species of scorpion and non toxic types if centipedes[/quote]
I don't think I will be feeding her anything like that. I would be too scared of her choking on it or something.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
I just need to say, DO NOT USE GREEN FLEECE! Mari ate a giant strip of green fabric while she was roaming and walked past my sewing stuff when I wasn’t looking because she thought it was a vegetable. (1000 IQ there.) I had to rush her to the emergency vet on the other side of my state because she ended up prolapsing while trying to poop it out and the vets said she got extremely lucky she didn’t require surgery. Make sure whatever fabric you use is really big and not cut into strips. (Mari is okay now, they pulled it out and got her prolapse fixed after hours of electrolyte soaks and anti inflammatory injections.)

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom