Uneaten crickets with calcium powder on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staygold

Hi. I have a quick question. I dusted some crickets for my baby and she did not eat them, she seems to be going into brumation. So I am wondering if the crickets have calcium powder on them will their exoskeletons get harder, and should I just throw them away? FYI when I dumped the dusted crickets back into their container, I got some calcium on their food and water dish and did not clean the calcium out for a couple of days. They still have calcium on their bodies though. Thank you for any help, have an awesome day.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First babies DO not brumate --- and I think your crickets will be fine for the next feeding -- why do you think your baby is going into brumation? How old is your baby? If your baby is under a year old then I am guessing there is a UVB / basking temp issue-- your baby should be active eating basking and pooping --
Karrie

Staygold

Original Poster
KarrieRee":19n32vcb said:
First babies DO not brumate --- and I think your crickets will be fine for the next feeding -- why do you think your baby is going into brumation? How old is your baby? If your baby is under a year old then I am guessing there is a UVB / basking temp issue-- your baby should be active eating basking and pooping --
Karrie
Sorry, I guess I shouldn't have used the word baby. I call all my pet's babies. She was gotten from a pet store last August , so she is at least 15 months old. I think she was trying to go into brumation because she was sleeping all day for almost a week.( I have been giving her baths and putting her on a vibrating travel pillow (the vet said to try something that vibrates) and giving her prune juice mixed with honey and extra virgin olive oil, trying to make her go poop because she has food in her tummy ). Yes there has been UVB and temp issues since I got her, which I have been trying to fix. When I got her rehomed to me I started researching how to take care of her and found stuff wrong. The bulbs and analog thermometer she came with were wrong. So I switched her nonexistent or old UVB light (it has no markings and tested it with a Tekizoo uv sensor and got no colorchange.)with the spare that she came with. And I got a Zoo Med thermometer hygrometer , and a vivosun thermostat for her CH bulb at night and a Zoo Med digital infrared thermometer. I have been going crazy trying to order everything she needs to fix it. Currently she has a powersun UVB 100 watt and 150 watt Exo Terra intense basking spot light., which I have connected to a manual light dimmer. Right now her ambient temperature in the hot side is around 94, middle bottom of the tank is around 83 and cool side is about 77. She just woke up yesterday and is awake again today. I just went to check those temperatures and I noticed she pooped! Yay!. But I don't think it looks very healthy, there is some orange stuff and the urate is pretty hard, I will try to post a picture of the poop to show you because maybe I just don't know what healthy poop looks like. I am waiting for a 24-inch sunblaster fixture and T5 10.0 reptisun bulbs. I am also looking into a dimming thermostat because my temperatures change a lot since I am in the basement. I am looking at the Exo Terra digital dimming pulse thermostat , but I do not know if it will work on her basking light because it is pulse and I don't want it turning on and off during the day..

Staygold

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":127uoq1f said:
Back in with the rest of the crickets if still frisky .

The power wont harm them.
Ok. Thank you. Most have died off, but I expected that because the lady at the reptile store said they would probably die with the powder all over their bodies.

Staygold

Original Poster
109751-7089309743.jpg
the first picture didn't work to upload. This is a picture after I squished the urate and after I squished the brownish things. The urate is quite solid and the brownish stuff was kind of crystally and crunchy.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, the poo looks fine , she could possibly use a little more hydration via syringe or eyedropper. Don't worry about if she wants to brumate, they do this naturally. If you want to get the temp. a tiny bit higher just insulate part of the enclosure with cardboard or a small blanket, just be sure it doesn't come in contact with the light fixtures.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Staygold":2t2s8puy said:
kingofnobbys":2t2s8puy said:

Ok. Thank you. Most have died off, but I expected that because the lady at the reptile store said they would probably die with the powder all over their bodies.

If you are caking them with calcium powder that thickly , it's too much.

Only need enough calcium or calcium + multivitamin powder on the insect to make them look likely dusted.
My uneaten dusted crickets go back into the tub with their mates and rarely die due to the dust suffocating them,
I'm only feeding out crickets every other day now and they survive at least 2 days.

Staygold

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3n81xq30 said:
Staygold":3n81xq30 said:
kingofnobbys":3n81xq30 said:

If you are caking them with calcium powder that thickly , it's too much.

Only need enough calcium or calcium + multivitamin powder on the insect to make them look likely dusted.
My uneaten dusted crickets go back into the tub with their mates and rarely die due to the dust suffocating them,
I'm only feeding out crickets every other day now and they survive at least 2 days.
Well most of them lived about a week. But my bearded dragon has been sleeping a lot and not really eating so they have died off. I'm not sure if that would have been because of calcium or not.

Staygold

Original Poster
AHBD":1f9nlb97 said:
Hi there, the poo looks fine , she could possibly use a little more hydration via syringe or eyedropper. Don't worry about if she wants to brumate, they do this naturally. If you want to get the temp. a tiny bit higher just insulate part of the enclosure with cardboard or a small blanket, just be sure it doesn't come in contact with the light fixtures.
Yes I would like to find a way to get her to drink more. She has only taking water from me twice from the eye dropper and I have had her about a month. I do give her regular baths. Thank you for the tip on insulating, I will probably need that because it gets really cold down here (the basement)in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom