Going into brumation? Healthy overall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
I have my BD here, FlapJack, and I took a few pictures of him, which i'll insert from a phone instead of computer a few minutes after I post this...

He is 14 months, my first beardie, first brumation? Maybe?

I got him out of his tank, and weighed him at 1 lb, and 0.3 oz.
I also set him next to a measuring tape and a dixie cup for reference? To see his length/width the best you can.

109535-3938300628.jpg

109535-5707634604.jpg

109535-3154408811.jpg

When I got him out, he seemed pretty light, meaning not dark, no stress marks, which is where he usually is.. at least the last few months.
He was also active, kinda ran around, made it difficult to weigh, measure and photograph him.
IDK if that is because he was looking for a place to hide, or what. It didn't seem like that at first but now he is tucked behind something with his eyes half shut on my desk... he always looks miserable. :(

I was wondering if this is a healthy weight/ length, and if he looked healthy overall.

I always feel like I don't have this down at all, his health, his care, what i am doing, its very anxiety inducing for me.

His ambient is 85, according to this thermometer, and his basking spot is about 100, according to a cheap zoo med thing, but i'm asking for a nice $25 temp gun for xmas. (i am 16).
He hides underneath his basking spot, but I haven't figured out if that's by choice- if he just gets set down, he burrows under his couch, put if i tuck him under his hide, he just stays there. Same as when he goes to bed and his lights go off- he just falls asleep exactly where he is.
I will insert a picture of the hide i have set up for him, as well, please excuse the "floor" his mat is a bit dusty with calcium (i use a tiny broom just for that to sweep up things in his cage, so it spreads it out when its swept :)

109535-9696393804.jpg

109535-1945688124.jpg

He also seems REALLY small to me compared to the adult ones i have seen.When he had parasites, I made a huge mistake of keeping him in a TEN GALLON tank to get through a few doses... my plan was to keep him there 1-2 weeks, and then put him back, but we ended up taking the bigger tank i had back, and then it was just a complicated mess, and in the end, he was in there for about 1-3 months. I have not been able to forgive myself on that one- you don't have to tell me at all how wrong that was- i feel bad enough about it:/. All that aside, could this have caused a growth stunt?

I have taken him out maybe 4-5 times in the last two weeks. Today he didn't seem to mind, other times just a bit stressed.
-I am worried he isn't warm enough, not out basking
-I also am worried that i'm handling him too much/ not enough
-I am worried about dehydration and starving- I cannot remember the last time he ate- within the last 1-2 weeks (very helpful) and it has been even longer since he went to the bathroom.

I am going to schedule a vet appt tomorrow- so I can get a second opinion on that.
Bearded dragons are very complicated creatures to own, so for me it has been easy to be stressed out about it.

Could it be parasites?
Sorry this post is all over- just kinda painted my thought process unfiltered.

Thanks, as always

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Did we go over Flapjacks lighting? UVB and basking temps? He looks thin ---- they do get lazy this time of year -- so its not uncommon for them to lay around and sleep alot --- please weigh in grams -- dragons grow at their own rate but he does look thin to me -- what are you feeding him?
Karrie

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
We did- temp is between 80 and 83, basking is about 100 degrees.
UVB is 10.0 T5 HO
He ISNT eating so this information isn't really helpful, but when he does, it is roaches, and usually just collards with a few things mixed in, which is mostly wasted. He came out of his hide by himself this AM, looking kinda bright and happy, a little bit of stress marks, so I offered food (roaches) without vitamins/cal, and he refused.
Weight in grams is just oz converted to grams, so
1 lb, 0.3 oz to grams=
453.592g +8.50486g=
462.09686 grams, so just 462 to 463 grams.
I will ask my mom to help me schedule a vet appt today

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If you take him to the vet DO NOT LET THEM DO A ENEMA --- if they want a fecal -- let him poop and then take it in -- we have had too many disasters w/ vets doing enemas --- its possible he might have parasites --- where is your T 5 ? top of tank or inside the tank ---
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=252267
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom