Dimming thermostat

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Dimming thermostat

Postby Staygold » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:46 pm

Hi everyone. I am looking for a dimming thermostat because the temperatures fluctuate in the basement where I live. I have only found three possibilities, the Exo Terra dimming and pulse proportional thermostat ; the habistat digital dimming thermostat(not sure if this one ships to canada); and the habistat dimming thermostat (having a hard time finding any availlable)

Can the Exo Terra dimming and pulse proportional thermostat be used on her basking bulb during the day? Or since it is pulse proportional will it make her lights kind of flicker?
Are there any others? I do need to find the most economical that has great reviews.

Thank you for any information.
Staygold
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Dimming thermostat

Postby CooperDragon » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:07 pm

A dimming thermostat is what you want for a basking bulb. A pulse thermostat will cause flickering as you mentioned. Those are great for ceramic heat emitters and heat projectors used overnight though. As long as you find one that can handle the wattage you're using and can be set to dim within a specific temperature range, it should do the trick. I use a Herpstat which is programmable and I like it. I'm not sure if it is available in Canada though.
CooperDragon

Postby Staygold » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:35 pm

CooperDragon wrote:A dimming thermostat is what you want for a basking bulb. A pulse thermostat will cause flickering as you mentioned. Those are great for ceramic heat emitters and heat projectors used overnight though. As long as you find one that can handle the wattage you're using and can be set to dim within a specific temperature range, it should do the trick. I use a Herpstat which is programmable and I like it. I'm not sure if it is available in Canada though.

Okay. Thank you. Yes I have been trying to see if I can get the habistat in Canada because I am weary of the wording on the Exo Terra "dimming and pulse proportional" one. I am not quite sure how it would work when it lists two types of thermostats on the box.
Staygold
Hatchling Poster

Postby jdspdx » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:08 pm

I also recommend Herpstat by Spyder Robotics. https://www.spyderrobotics.com/index.ph ... ex&cPath=1 They have programmable functions such as day and night temperatures, and "ramping", which simulates sunrise and sunset.
jdspdx
Newbie Poster

Postby Staygold » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:02 pm

jdspdx wrote:I also recommend Herpstat by Spyder Robotics. https://www.spyderrobotics.com/index.ph ... ex&cPath=1 They have programmable functions such as day and night temperatures, and "ramping", which simulates sunrise and sunset.

That sounds more natural. I will check out the prices of those. Thank you
Staygold
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures