Wattage for my beardies 145 gallon tank

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Wattage for my beardies 145 gallon tank

Postby RangoTheBeardie2010 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:07 pm

Hello all! I have an 8 or 9-year-old dragon, who just got a tank upgrade! I've been wondering what wattage to use for her size of tank, which is 145 gallons? I've been looking around and cant find anything.
RangoTheBeardie2010
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Wattage for my beardies 145 gallon tank

Postby CooperDragon » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:30 am

How far is the basking area (in terms of height) from where you want to put the basking light? The distance will help give you a decent guess at where to start, but it really comes down to surface temp measurement. You may need to try a few brands/wattages before you find something that is just right.

UVB type/size comes down to mostly distance so that is a bit easier to estimate based on test results of various UVB lights.

Moved by moderator from General Discussion to Enclosures.
CooperDragon

Postby RangoTheBeardie2010 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:10 am

[quote="CooperDragon"]How far is the basking area (in terms of height) from where you want to put the basking light? The distance will help give you a decent guess at where to start, but it really comes down to surface temp measurement. You may need to try a few brands/wattages before you find something that is just right.

UVB type/size comes down to mostly distance so that is a bit easier to estimate based on test results of various UVB lights.

So I have the right UVB light. The basking light is 2 feet away from the bottom of the tank, I can bring it closer since im putting it on a holder. Would 100 WATTS be enough? I might just have to do some trail and error haha
RangoTheBeardie2010
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:31 am

100w should be enough, but it really varies between bulb brands. I have mine hanging from an adjustable stand at about 25'' from the floor and about 18'' from the basking spot. I use a GE PAR38 halogen 80w and it works well. That might be a good place to start.
CooperDragon

Postby RangoTheBeardie2010 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:17 pm

CooperDragon wrote:100w should be enough, but it really varies between bulb brands. I have mine hanging from an adjustable stand at about 25'' from the floor and about 18'' from the basking spot. I use a GE PAR38 halogen 80w and it works well. That might be a good place to start.

Thank you! I will try it out 😁😁😁
RangoTheBeardie2010
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures