Stuck Shed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, my bearded dragon hasn’t shed in about a month or so even though she has loose skin. It doesn’t seem to come off even if I give her baths and scrub her gently with a tooth brush. She hasn’t been acting strange at all and her appetite isn’t effected by this but I want her to be as healthy as she can. She eats greens 5 days of the week (no spinach) with crickets and Dubias being her meat. What should I do? Any help is appreciated.

107850-9330614102.jpg
107850-3333154032.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, how long have you had her ? Body shed doesn't actually get stuck, it just comes off when it's ready and with adults it always takes much longer than when they were babies. There's a lot of owners that post about what they think is stuck shed, not realizing that it is just normal shedding time. The only time it's ever of concern is if the shed is tightened around toes or somewhere on the tail causing it to restrict blood flow.

Is your dragon wet in that pic, the shed looks soggy + dark. Also looks a little funny around her eyes. I'd stop bathing her, the scales might be holding too much moisture and actually develop fungal infection in certain areas. How long do you soak her generally ? Also, what are the temps. in the tank and can you post pics of it ? Size-wise she looks good and it's good that she's eating well. :)

CalderDempsey

Original Poster
Hi, thank you for responding so quickly! I bathe her about 3 times a week for 10 minutes a day. Her eyes have a lot of gray skin that I’m afraid to peel off. The temps are 99 - 108 on the hot side and around 75 - 80 on the cool side. She is in a 40 gallon tank, her substrate is a towel that gets switched twice a week, and she gets proper calcium dusting on her bugs every two weeks. She also has good UV lighting throughout the entire cage. She is about a year and 10 months old and I’ve had her since she was a baby.

Faith331

CalderDempsey":3r2q25gk said:
Hi, thank you for responding so quickly! I bathe her about 3 times a week for 10 minutes a day. Her eyes have a lot of gray skin that I’m afraid to peel off. The temps are 99 - 108 on the hot side and around 75 - 80 on the cool side. She is in a 40 gallon tank, her substrate is a towel that gets switched twice a week, and she gets proper calcium dusting on her bugs every two weeks. She also has good UV lighting throughout the entire cage. She is about a year and 10 months old and I’ve had her since she was a baby.
Usually adults don't like to bask that hot. Does she actually sit in the areas that are 108??

CalderDempsey

Original Poster
Faith331":136wo2ut said:
Usually adults don't like to bask that hot. Does she actually sit in the areas that are 108??
It’s usually 108 in the summer. Right now it’s about 100 on the hot side.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Does the towel you have for flooring get wet or damp at all , and do you know the humidity levels ? Also, how do you measure the temps + the humidity ? Her scales look odd, as if she's damp a lot . Can you post a pic of the tank ?

CalderDempsey

Original Poster
AHBD":2nkmrmh4 said:
Does the towel you have for flooring get wet or damp at all , and do you know the humidity levels ? Also, how do you measure the temps + the humidity ? Her scales look odd, as if she's damp a lot . Can you post a pic of the tank ?
107850-6323347953.jpg
Her tank is a 40 gallon. The humidity levels are around 20 percent which I think is considered to be good. The towel is never wet and it doesn’t get wet easily. Sorry it took so long to respond, I wasn’t sure that someone had answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom