Health Questions Regarding My Bearded Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I recently rescued a bearded dragon from a friend. They ignored it and never took care of it, so of course, there will be some issues. He has a bump on his bicep on his arm, he moves his head a lot back and forth ( not head bobbing ), he walks, but shivers, and he doesn’t want to eat. He also has a bump on his tail close to his genitals. Can someone help me out? We don’t know his age, but he’s 17 inches. I’m buying a 10.0 UVB Light for him and rearranging his tank so he can get heat and UVB. Anything else I’m missing or any answers to the problems I’m having with him. Also, whenever I grab him, he’s stomach goes flat, and you can feel he is skinny and not fat.
109875-3998209834.jpg
109875-2019453100.jpg
109875-4745323095.jpg
109875-641539088.jpg
109875-8275470943.jpg
109875-4745323095.jpg
109875-3998209834.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Lucas, good for you trying to help the poor dragon ! Most if not all of the problems are related to calcium deficiency + lack of uvb. The lumps on his tail are likely from fractures that heal over by the body depositing available calcium there. The head jerking + body shivering are also calcium + vitamin deficiency. It's good that you're getting a uvb bulb, did you get one yet and can you post a pic of the entire set up ? To get him to eat try some Fluker's Reptaboost [ from pet store] ASAP and if you don't have calcium powder with D3 get some of that right away as well. Mix a tiny pinch of it with the Reptaboost supplement and use a syringe to drip it on his mouth or very gently wiggle it in the side of his mouth. Those are a few things to do right away. You can also take a feeder insect, squish it until the guts come out one end and rub it lightly on his snout to see if that gets him to eat it.

LucasEspinoza

Original Poster
AHBD":3stma2qz said:
Hi Lucas, good for you trying to help the poor dragon ! Most if not all of the problems are related to calcium deficiency + lack of uvb. The lumps on his tail are likely from fractures that heal over by the body depositing available calcium there. The head jerking + body shivering are also calcium + vitamin deficiency. It's good that you're getting a uvb bulb, did you get one yet and can you post a pic of the entire set up ? To get him to eat try some Fluker's Reptaboost [ from pet store] ASAP and if you don't have calcium powder with D3 get some of that right away as well. Mix a tiny pinch of it with the Reptaboost supplement and use a syringe to drip it on his mouth or very gently wiggle it in the side of his mouth. Those are a few things to do right away. You can also take a feeder insect, squish it until the guts come out one end and rub it lightly on his snout to see if that gets him to eat it.
Thank you so much for your help! The light is supposed to come December 8. I take him outside to get natural light and UVB. I also have all the supplements and am getting probiotics and bee pollen! I’ll update you whenever I get the things!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Did you order a long tube fixture ? What did you get if you did? Brand and bulb please
Karrie

LucasEspinoza

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3g3a4fqi said:
Did you order a long tube fixture ? What did you get if you did? Brand and bulb please
Karrie
I got a Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 UVB Mini compact Bulb from Amazon. It’s going to go with my clamp light fixture.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please send the mini compact coil back --- they are inadequate and you are going to end up w/ more health issues --- please get this I am going to post what you need this is my go to place and they are out of stock now but you need to find this ASAP https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 22" or this bulb
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-12-uvb-t5-reptile-bulb.html 22" ---
check your local pet stores most do not carry the length I am recommending ---
The size of the tank please ---
Karrie

LucasEspinoza

Original Poster
KarrieRee":nldaf10g said:
Please send the mini compact coil back --- they are inadequate and you are going to end up w/ more health issues --- please get this I am going to post what you need this is my go to place and they are out of stock now but you need to find this ASAP https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 22" or this bulb
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-12-uvb-t5-reptile-bulb.html 22" ---
check your local pet stores most do not carry the length I am recommending ---
The size of the tank please ---
Karrie
The thing is, I’m a child. I don’t have much money, but care for my animals a lot. I can’t let my Bearded Dragon die. I can’t afford the one you are recommending me. I’m sorry. Anything else?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Lucas you mentioned that you were taking him out in the sun. Is it warm enough where you live to continue ? What type of enclosure did you take him out in ? That would solve your uvb problem.

LucasEspinoza

Original Poster
AHBD":1smcpjgs said:
Lucas you mentioned that you were taking him out in the sun. Is it warm enough where you live to continue ? What type of enclosure did you take him out in ? That would solve your uvb problem.
It’s really cold in the morning where I am. I live in Florida, so sometimes in the afternoon, it gets a bit warm. He goes to the door all the time after I take him out though. I put him in a glass enclosure, and sometimes I just let him explore, but check on him all the time.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok then get this fixture a 18" zilla most pet stores carry them then get this bulb Reptisun 10.0 T 8 bulb--- it's going to be better than that coil-- the fixture will come w/ a bulb but it's not real good - the Reptisun is way better- I think the fixture is around $40 you might find it cheaper on line
Karrie

saraho

Hatchling Member
As long as the temps are warm, I'd keep taking him outside. When I adopted Charlie, I didn't know about the coil lights being inadequate and didn't find this forum right away either. He lives at the library I work at so one of the things I did with him to create a bond was taking him out to play in the sun whenever it was warm enough. One of the mods said that is probably how we were able to avoid MBD developing. I'm in South Dakota and I'm jealous of your temperatures!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom